Which of these Access Points?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
July 22, 2004 12:09:29 AM

Looking for a 11g AP primarly to give internet access to a desktop
machine where wires arent practical. And browsing round found the
following which seem to fit the bill.

Dlink DWL-2000/2100AP+ AirPlusXtremeG+ - Does this unit actually
support WPA now? As its documentation still refers to it "coming" in
2003!

3Com OfficeConnect 54Mbps (3CRWE454G72) - Seems to be ok, but not very
configurable.

Buffalo WLA-G54/C 54Mbps - Seems a very feature rich AP but lacks the
ability to disable SSID broadcast (atleast according to the
documentation on the site), I *really* would like to know if this has
changed maybe in a recent firmware because I can get a *very* good price
on this particular AP.

Linksys WAP54G 54Mbps Wireless-G - Looks a very good router but some old
user reviews where pretty negative, elsewhere there are hints it may
have improved of late. Want to know whats true.

Any comments on the above APs (good or bad) or anything

More about : access points

Anonymous
July 22, 2004 12:09:30 AM

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 20:09:29 +0100, Dan M spoketh

>Linksys WAP54G 54Mbps Wireless-G - Looks a very good router but some old
>user reviews where pretty negative, elsewhere there are hints it may
>have improved of late. Want to know whats true.

I have the WAP45G, and it's working fine for me. The latest (2.06?)
firmware has been very stable.

Don't confuse it with the WRT54G wireless router. This is a completely
different product, and just because the router has had some bad reviews
doesn't mean the WAP is bad...

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net
July 22, 2004 2:10:16 AM

Dan M wrote:

> Looking for a 11g AP primarly to give internet access to a desktop
> machine where wires arent practical. And browsing round found the
> following which seem to fit the bill.
>
> Dlink DWL-2000/2100AP+ AirPlusXtremeG+ - Does this unit actually
> support WPA now? As its documentation still refers to it "coming" in
> 2003!
>
> 3Com OfficeConnect 54Mbps (3CRWE454G72) - Seems to be ok, but not very
> configurable.
>
> Buffalo WLA-G54/C 54Mbps - Seems a very feature rich AP but lacks the
> ability to disable SSID broadcast (atleast according to the
> documentation on the site), I *really* would like to know if this has
> changed maybe in a recent firmware because I can get a *very* good price
> on this particular AP.
>
> Linksys WAP54G 54Mbps Wireless-G - Looks a very good router but some old
> user reviews where pretty negative, elsewhere there are hints it may
> have improved of late. Want to know whats true.
>
> Any comments on the above APs (good or bad) or anything
I have the 3com one and it's fine. Had to upgrade to latest firmware to
set a default gateway with a static IP, but otherwise fine. I've used it
with various cards at 11g and 11b speeds without trouble.
100% Stable so far.
Anonymous
July 22, 2004 5:01:25 AM

Dan M wrote:
> Looking for a 11g AP primarly to give internet access to a desktop
> machine where wires arent practical. And browsing round found the
> following which seem to fit the bill.
>
> Dlink DWL-2000/2100AP+ AirPlusXtremeG+ - Does this unit actually
> support WPA now? As its documentation still refers to it "coming" in
> 2003!

Got the DWL-2000.

The Dlink website is usually a bit crude (understand: hard to find what
you want if you do not know exactly what you are looking for). But the
setting of the AP itself is awfuly easy, complete (AP, bridge, .......)
and well explained (html settings system with good help included).

Aphrael.
--
"La demande mondiale d'ordinateurs n'excédera pas cinq machines."
(Thomas Watson, Fondateur d'IBM, 1945)