G

I have a two year old HP that died. The motherboard is gone, so I'm taking what I can salvage and building a new one. I ordered the Microstar K7T Turbo2 (MS-6330) motherboard. It's measurements seem to be the same as my old HP board, but will it still fit into the HP case or do I need to buy a new one? Thanks for your help.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
HP often used standard ATX cases. The only thing you have to look out for is the mounting post between the 2nd and third slot, which is not used on some motherboards but usually stamped into the mounting plate of the HP case. If you find such problems, a hammer can flatten the extra post slightly.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Get a new case that old HP is probably running less than a 200w Power Supply it should be listed on the back label, most of the cases you can get from your local computer shop today are 300w. HP didn't put any more power in their machines than they absolutely had to, so the customer to upgrade would have to go back to them. Also ask for a case thats AMD and Intel P4 approved so you don't have to buy another one for a long time, you're looking at about $59.00 US.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
or, you could just get a new power supply. If you like the case, it's more cost effective than buying PS AND case.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>