digipat

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2006
ive got a question whats cheaper
to upgrade to vista or a ps3? i dont think i wanna get a ps3 cuz i dont got 500 bucks

hatsurfer

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
That's a loaded question with a whole lot of answers and potential flames comming out. :twisted:
I would say all things being equal a high-end gaming system is going to cost double what the PS3 will cost if you had to buy CPU(AM2/Conroe/whatever comes out between now and x-mas), DX10 capable GPU, DDR2, ect, ect..

You could get by if you have a good GPU now, but when Vista comes out I will definetly buy DX 10 card. Why upgrade to Vista for gaming unless you're going to DX10. You might as well stay with XP. So, you figure the cost of Vista OS and a new DX10 GPU will be about the same as a PS3.

Why may I buy a PS3? The same reason I bought a 360. For the games that play well when my fiends come over to hang out (i.e. Fight Night round 3). Sitting alone gaming on my 360 is no fun most of the time. I got a PC for that and a whole lot more games for 1/2 the price!

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
The validity of your question is a little suspect, since I wouldn't view Vista or PS3 as straight either/or options.

To state the obvious: PS3 is hardware, whereas Vista is only an O/S. A fairer comparison would be: "What is cheaper, a PS3 or a PC of the same gaming power?". The answer to this would clearly be a PS3, but only if you currently have no PC at all. Upgrading an older PC to play today's games can often be as simple as a new GPU and maybe a bit of extra RAM. GPUs are expensive, but unless you want bleeding-edge performance, you can buy a very good one for well under $500. There's a lot of discussion of this on other threads, so I don't want to go on about it in any more detail here...

To return to your question: it seems to be based on the prediction that Vista will improve gaming. This is not entirely true. Games CAN be better under Vista, because only Vista will support DX10. BUT you will also need a GPU capable of doing DX10 effects. So it's not really Vista that's giving you the new performance, it's the new hardware. To get the best out of Vista, you'll need new hardware. And vice versa - to get the best out of the DX10 graphics cards, you'll need Vista.

Personally, I hate being an early adopter. You pay top-dollar to be a beta-tester. First version prodicts tend to be very expensive for the extra performance they give, drivers are often buggy and support in software/games may not be widespread. Do I have fur? do I look like a guinea pig? :wink: [/i]

TRENDING THREADS