Installing Windows xp on clean hard drive

I have a completely blank hard drive on a pc purchased
from original owner. Also have windows xp discs. How do I
get this operating system installed. The pc won't go to
the cd rom. I need some kind of startup help.
4 answers Last reply
More about installing windows clean hard drive

    HOW TO: Install Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=316941

    Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    Obtaining Windows XP Setup Boot Disks
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles

    Make sure you download the correct set of disks. If SP1 is included with
    your Windows XP CD, download the setup disks for use with SP1.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Steve H." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

    |I have a completely blank hard drive on a pc purchased
    | from original owner. Also have windows xp discs. How do I
    | get this operating system installed. The pc won't go to
    | the cd rom. I need some kind of startup help.

    During the boot of the system you shoule see a msg that
    indicates to press a key that will enter the CMOS or
    Setup. Often the key is "DEL" or "F2". The msg will only
    display for a short period. If your running a Compaq
    computer after the word Compaq displays the cursor will
    just to the upper right corner having started in the
    upper left corner. While the cursor is in the upper right
    corner, repeatedly tap the "F10" key (DO NOT press and
    hold the F10 key, the computer will enter the CMOS. Some
    other manufactures may have other keys. Gateway for
    example, you have to press the TAB key to be able to see
    the real msg to enter teh CMOS.

    Once in the CMOS or Setup, navagate the menus looking for
    an option titled similar to "BOOT ORDER". Once there you
    will see the boot order of the system. Look at the screen
    and see how to change to boot order. Often times the
    arrow keys and page up/down will be used. You will want
    the CD drive to be before the hard drive. After making
    your changes select save and exit.

    Depending on how old the system is booting from the CD
    will require a boot disk (floppy) that boots with the CD
    drives drivers. You can then run install from there.

    Greetings --

    Simply boot from the WinXP installation CD. You'll be offered the
    installation process. (You may need to re-arrange the order of boot

    HOW TO Install Windows XP

    However, if the PC is too old (pre-1996?) to boot from the CD,
    it's very probably also too old to support WinXP.

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "Steve H." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have a completely blank hard drive on a pc purchased
    > from original owner. Also have windows xp discs. How do I
    > get this operating system installed. The pc won't go to
    > the cd rom. I need some kind of startup help.

    use a startup disk to access cdrom bingo away u go

Windows XP Microsoft Hard Drives