CannonGod

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2004
Okay, I downloaded a file to desktop using BitTorrent, Scanned it for Virii and came up clear, then tried running it. It didn't seem to work so I went to delete it and it gave the error: Cannot delete XXXX: it is being used by another person or program. Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

However I can't seem to find any programs that would be using it. I closed BitTorrent long before I tried deleting it and restarted my computer. I also tried using a DOS boot disk to get access to the desktop directory but I ran into a dead end just trying to change to the C drive. I'm stumped on what to do to get rid of this thing. Any ideas?

arkus

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2003
Could be a number of things - try deleting it from the command prompt:

Win key + R
type- cmd
type- delete [filename and path]

If that doesn't work may be an issue with ownership (try taking ownership) - other than that install and run Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad Aware to check if it's spyware related.

PIV2.6|IS7-G|1GbDDR266|R9700Pro|SonicFury5.1|4*36GbRaptor
2*120GbCaviar|Highpoint1640|CRW-F1|GC7000|460w EG465AX-VE(G)
ATC210cAX-1|1451Visionmaster|AltecLansing5100|WinXPSP1|DX9.0b

mjjohn

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I run into the same problem sometimes. After browsing a file it may or may not be able to be deleted. Something is still hanging onto the file - explorer, cache, prefetch, ???. I found that if I reboot and then try to delete the file, it will.

For it is not what is seen, but what is not seen. :eek:

TRENDING THREADS