Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Playing World of Warcraft on a Laptop???

Last response: in Video Games
June 8, 2006 12:55:46 AM

Hey, what up everyone, new here and was wondering what kind of laptop, or specs, etc that could play WoW pretty decent. I am looking to spend around $1200 on a laptop that could play this game with ease. I am also looking into doing other things with the laptop, but mainly just the game. Going to invest into a dekstop later. But for now, I am in need of a laptop for my schooling, but would also like to play my favorite game, :)  I was looking to get at least the Intel Core Duo, 1GB + Ram, 256MB Video, 120GB + Drive, etc. What specs would you recommend. I will buy from anywhere, probably going to get one off Ebay. Thanks
June 9, 2006 12:44:03 PM

I played WoW on my laptop while in Iraq (and so did many others). Your specs are okay, except that I would bump up the RAM to 1gb (or at a minimum of 512mb). Additionally, try to purchase a laptop with a separate graphics card in it if you can (not a shared one). If not, you will probably have to turn down the graphics. Luckily, WoW is not too hard on graphics.

Another recommendation for a laptop is that a mouse is mandatory and you may want to get a keyboard. A full size keyboard is definitely a plus.

My old laptop is a Fujitsu 2.66GHz pentium, 1gb RAM, and an ATI 9000 mobile. I just reloaded it last weekend and it still plays great. Good for when we are out of town or the computers are occupied by my girls.

You may want to try a "third-party" laptop company like ibuypower.com or cyberpowerpc.com. They have many models in your price range with separate graphic cards.
a b D Laptop
June 13, 2006 9:59:28 AM

I just recently bought a Dell Inspiron e1505 laptop with 1.66MHz Core Duo, 1 gig 533mhz ram, 100 gig Hard drive, and ATI x1400 video chip. It will play WoW excellent and I paid under $1k for it with back pack. I was going to get the MSI 1039, which has the better graphics chip (ATI x1600) than the one I have, but it wasn't available when I ordered this one. Last it was stated before, you can go to several online sites to see what you can get for $1300, just make sure you are getting a dedicated video chip with your laptop. Some of the older chips will do fine also. The ATI x700 is one of them, seems to be still holding it's own. If you like/prefer nVidia, I would recommend at least the 6600 go model or newer (bigger the number the newer it is, generally, ie. 6700, 6800, etc.).
Make sure you get a wireless card or possibly the bluetooth wireless card combo. If you have a cell phone with bluetooth capability, then you might have a chance to connect to it wirelessly (not critical though for most people).
One final note.. If you want a 17" screen and a decent video chip, than you might want to look at the Dell e1705 laptop with the nVidia 7900 graphics chip. It can be had (with online coupon) for around the $1300 price range. Google the coupon (punch in "Dell laptop coupons") and you will find the coupon code online, which you just cut/paste at the checkout screen to get the discount.
Dell's aren't always the best situation for individuals, but they do have respectable systems if you do your homework. I hope that this helps you, I know I did ALOT of research for pricing before I purchased my current laptop.
Related resources
June 10, 2008 3:49:35 PM

Would these specs be good enough to play WoW

15.4" display, Intel Celeron M 540, 1024MB Ram, 120GB Hard Drive, DVDRW, Vista Home Basic
June 10, 2008 4:44:58 PM

Sentetsu said:
Would these specs be good enough to play WoW

15.4" display, Intel Celeron M 540, 1024MB Ram, 120GB Hard Drive, DVDRW, Vista Home Basic

Man I hope you're kidding. For $1200 you should easily be able to get 3GB of RAM a C2D and a decent graphics chip. I wouldn't buy a laptop off EBay though. Too much can go wrong to trust a purchase of that amount to EBay. Whether you go to any of the big retailers or somebody smaller you should be pretty good for WoW with the amount you're spending. Just make sure you get the best graphics chip that you can instead of buying something that is pricier because it has BluRay or RAID or something.
June 10, 2008 5:00:03 PM

Forget World of Warcraft. What kind of specs would a laptop need to run Unreal Tournament 3 with the highest settings activated? I need a good portable gaming rig to review "on teh go" ;) 
June 11, 2008 6:09:55 AM

Some people seem not to have noticed that it's finally 2008. No one plays WOW anymore (ever heard about Conan?), and those who still are do so on their mobile phones whilst sitting on the toilet. Did I miss anything?
June 23, 2008 8:50:43 AM

aziraphale said:
Some people seem not to have noticed that it's finally 2008. No one plays WOW anymore (ever heard about Conan?), and those who still are do so on their mobile phones whilst sitting on the toilet. Did I miss anything?

Huh? Yes, I've heard about Conan. And yes, the year is 2008. Have you logged onto any WoW realm recently? It's still full of people and my wife and I just went to Dunholde the first time last evening attempting to fulfill Thrall's destiny. There are still so much contents out there, at least for us.
June 23, 2008 3:38:13 PM

^ I suggest a big spoon full of irony when they are young; enhances their communication skills when they get older.
June 27, 2008 5:57:15 AM

I recently bought a Gateway P-6860 FX laptop. Apparently they only sell these through Best Buy. The laptop comes with an Nvidia 8800GTS with 512MB dedicated video ram, 4GB Ram, 320GB drive, 17" widescreen 1440x900 display, but only 1.8Ghz T5550 CPU. I upgraded my CPU to a 2.5Ghz T9300 (took about 10 minutes with a couple screwdrivers and some arctic silver 5), and the laptop plays AoC and Crysis on moderate settings. It does WoW on the highest settings no problem. I paid $1150 for my laptop on sale about a month ago.

I believe this is a similar (if not the same) laptop Gateway sells on their website as the P172.
June 28, 2008 4:39:11 PM

apline18 where did u get the cpu to upgrade your gateway with?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b Ý World of Warcraft
October 18, 2009 11:52:19 PM

k well look get a toshiba satillite the P500 model mate 850 with taxes and is designed for gamin it will run WOW like nuthing with an impressive 4GB of RAM and 500 GB hard drive and a really good graphic card no problem running WOW also you can try gateway's FX series 1100 dollers with taxes and is gateways best gaming laptop ONLY 1100 DOLLERS has almost the same specs as the toshiba but ya try those out cheers and god bless
November 24, 2009 3:03:05 AM

for the guy about ( it's 2008 no one plays wow anymore....LOL..have you looked at how many copies of wow and wow expansion packs have SOLD??? lol..even during 2008...wow has out sold Conan more than 2 to 1 and even more now that Wrath of the lich king has been around since late 2008. get a clue.

Now to the person asking about what laptop is good to run wow with :

i WOULD NOT recommend Gateway. their pc's and laptops have had quality control issues ( not quite as many in past 3 years ( but still far more than toshiba, asus, and acer brand laptops) the main things that influence how good an experience you'll have playing WOW is the following:

1. Processor: wow IS STILL to this day 11-23-2009, mostly a Processor based game. 2.5 gig dual core processor or better recommended

2. your graphics card ( whether it is a PHYSICAL separate graphics card ( pci express slot compatible is the modern ones...or a built in gpu that's built into the motherboard of the computer. 9800m for nvidia, or if the laptop has an ati......hd4200 or better

3.speed of hard drive makes small difference in how long or short your load times are ( after typing in user name and password and clicking " log in" to GET into the wow world with everything around you loaded). 7200 rpm if you can get it but 5400 rpm regular hard drive wont hurt your frames per sec much if you got the processor and graphics card ( gpu) good enouhg to handle it. try to find 7200 or even an ssd if you can afford it ( IF YOU CHOOSE SSD ...DO YOUR RESEARCH..I CANNOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH. check out newegg.com OCZ AGILITY SLC architecture 60 gig is around 410.00 with free shipping as of today still which for ssd OF THIS CLASS AND SPEED is a decent deal. SSD technology is still new

OVERALL WOW is STILL MOSTLY programmed as a MOSTLY processor dependant game. although the graphics card makes up a good chunk. example. you can have a nvidia gtx 275 ( regardless of brand or version MSI lightning etc) and a single core amd 3400+ 2.4 gig processor and only be able to get around 35 to 40 frams per second. the processor is the bottle neck in that example.

FROM MY EXPERIENCE ( since beginning to play the game back in jan 2008) any dual core processor (intel or amd) 2.5 gig or higher, graphics card on laptops....: 9600m or better for nvidia gefore chipsets or for ati...hd4200 or better, for desktop computers....7600gt, 7800, 8800, 9800, or better ,

4.RAM : ..... WOW can use between 512 megs to over 1 gig depending on what's going on in the game. If your system has windows Vista go ahead and bank on needing at least 3.5 total gigs or more ram ( doens't matter if it's vista 32 bit or vista 64 bit operating system) for xp you can get away with 2.5 gigs easily total RAM.

why? YOUR GRAPHICS CARD MAY end up permanently using between 512 megs to 1 gig or more depending on the type of graphics card. toshiba p500 is a good suggestion overall at a decent price...check newegg.com before you shop at toshiba or bestbuy stores. i've been building my own custom computers and buying latops from newegg since 2004. great service, LOWEST realistic prices ( of course NOTHIGN beats wholesale pricing if you know someone who works for a whole seller), and fast shipping...( often free with 1 to 3 day UPS service).

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 26, 2009 2:26:15 PM

Hey Chrono thanks for the info above. I wanted to know if the recommendations that you mentioned is to run wow on highest settings? I am looking into a computer and the graphic card is Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD, it an HP laptop. All other specs are up to par. Would it be able to run Wow decent in medium to low settings?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
a b Ý World of Warcraft
November 28, 2009 8:20:57 AM

Quote:
Hey Chrono thanks for the info above. I wanted to know if the recommendations that you mentioned is to run wow on highest settings? I am looking into a computer and the graphic card is Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD, it an HP laptop. All other specs are up to par. Would it be able to run Wow decent in medium to low settings?

you want to stay away from the GMA4500MHD - its a reallyt crappy integrated chip. Also I warn you to stay well away from HP I have had two hp lappys break on me. Go Acer, Asus, or Sony.
November 28, 2009 11:38:45 AM

As this thread was started three years ago it really needs a rest, if WOW is that important start a new thread.
!