computer constantly hanging

PaulG

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003

I just helped a friend upgrade to xp-pro from 98se. It was working fine for
several months, until we had to change the MB. Ever since then, the machine
has been hanging on a regular basis for no apparent reason in any and all
apps from IE to Solitaire. No one particular thing sets it off. We did a
repair installation of XP after the MB switch and it was working fine for a
while. Updated all the drivers, again. Unloaded NAV 2002, and upped it to
2003. Ran a low level memory check using the Windows memory diagnostic
test. The video card is new, as is the power supply, and MB. All fans are
working fine. Checked for spyware, trojans, etc. It's not overheating.
Where is this coming from? Any input? TIA PaulG

PaulG wrote:
: I just helped a friend upgrade to xp-pro from 98se. It was working
: fine for several months, until we had to change the MB. Ever since
: then, the machine has been hanging on a regular basis for no apparent
: reason in any and all apps from IE to Solitaire. No one particular
: thing sets it off. We did a repair installation of XP after the MB
: switch and it was working fine for a while. Updated all the drivers,
: again. Unloaded NAV 2002, and upped it to 2003. Ran a low level
: memory check using the Windows memory diagnostic test. The video
: card is new, as is the power supply, and MB. All fans are working
: fine. Checked for spyware, trojans, etc. It's not overheating.
: Where is this coming from? Any input? TIA PaulG

How much memory do you have installed? What worked with 98 may not work with
XP. You need at least 256mb RAM.

If you are reffering to your Mother Board (MoBo) and not Mega Byte (MB) then it would help us a great deal if you could give us the make and model number and then we could tell you of any known conflicts or solutions for lockups. {:~)

PaulG

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003

MB=MoBo, PC Chips. PIII slot 1 (600MHz, I think). There's 256 Mb SDRAM.
Thanks.

"PaulG" <gluck@kfarhanassi.org.il> wrote in message
> I just helped a friend upgrade to xp-pro from 98se. It was working fine
for
> several months, until we had to change the MB. Ever since then, the
machine
> has been hanging on a regular basis for no apparent reason in any and all
> apps from IE to Solitaire. No one particular thing sets it off. We did a
> repair installation of XP after the MB switch and it was working fine for
> while. Updated all the drivers, again. Unloaded NAV 2002, and upped it
> 2003. Ran a low level memory check using the Windows memory diagnostic
> test. The video card is new, as is the power supply, and MB. All fans
are
> working fine. Checked for spyware, trojans, etc. It's not overheating.
> Where is this coming from? Any input? TIA PaulG

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Are you absolutely sure the memory is compatible with the mother board?
Latency?
> MB=MoBo, PC Chips. PIII slot 1 (600MHz, I think). There's 256 Mb SDRAM.
> Thanks.
>
> "PaulG" <gluck@kfarhanassi.org.il> wrote in message
> > I just helped a friend upgrade to xp-pro from 98se. It was working fine
> for
> > several months, until we had to change the MB. Ever since then, the
> machine
> > has been hanging on a regular basis for no apparent reason in any and all
> > apps from IE to Solitaire. No one particular thing sets it off. We did a
> > repair installation of XP after the MB switch and it was working fine for
> > while. Updated all the drivers, again. Unloaded NAV 2002, and upped it
> > 2003. Ran a low level memory check using the Windows memory diagnostic
> > test. The video card is new, as is the power supply, and MB. All fans
> are
> > working fine. Checked for spyware, trojans, etc. It's not overheating.
> > Where is this coming from? Any input? TIA PaulG

PaulG

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2003

The strange thing is that the computer worked for 3 days at my place with
not a single hang-up. At home it worked for about a week, and now hangs
intermittently with no rhyme or reason, requiring them to pull the plug.
They tell me that the on/off and reset buttons don't react. I'm going to
try formatting and doing a clean install in order to negate most of the
upgrade software issues. Thanks. I"ll be back if it doesn't work. PaulG