6GSillyCa

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
i currently have half life game of the year edtn. (just half life) and was wondering how i go about getting steam and cs1.6. i downloaded a steam installer w/ cache, and figured it had 1.6, but it didnt. i just have steam. then i DL'ed cs 1.5, with hopes of just patching to 1.6 but that still doesnt work.

please let me know if i should just delete everything related to steam and find a new .exe that has everything and where i can get it free (fileplanet i believe it is charges for memberships)

if you can, can you give me exact file name and where i can DL it...

thanks

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
you can't get steam and cs:source unless you purchase half life 2 or buy cs:s in stores...hl and hl2 aren't compatible, different engines and all

6GSillyCa

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
CS 1.6 uses steam. CS 1.6 is different than CS source...

i know you can DL mods to make half life able to play cs. i did it before to play CS 1.5, then when steam came out i DL'ed a steam and CS 1.6 file. i just dont remember what the files were called and where i got them from.

thanks

Ever since the shutdown of WON servers, you can only play CS and other mods via steam. Install the Steam client, go to the games menu, right-click on CS and "install". Steam will keep all your installed games updated by default. As mentioned above, CS:S requires you purchase either HL2 or CS:S retail. Also, even the retail versions require steam in order to play.

note: you may need your original HL cd key to set up your steam account.

6GSillyCa

Distinguished
May 31, 2006
i got it working (sort of)... I guess the games in steam are connected to the steam account. i made a new account and had no games loaded on steam. then i logged into my old accoun and had all the games (same comp)

new question. how to get games onto new steam account w/o buying games...

traken

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2006
On the main window, click "Games" on the toolbar and "Activate a product on Steam."

Afaik, as long as you have a HL key, you should also get CS1.6.

If you can't get CS to work, go ahead and PM me. :wink:

TRENDING THREADS