i850E or i850

G

hi, I'm building a system for the first time and am currently getting ready to buy all the parts. I am looking at a p4 1.8 northwood with kingston pc800 Rambus Ram -- but this is the thing i'm not sure about i want to get the i850e instead of the i850 becuase it should provide much better performence and lean more towards upgrades in the future but it was made to support the new p4's with 533fsb and the new rambus ram (PC1066mhz) whereas i was looking (as mentioned above) at getting a p4 with 400fsb and kingston rdram at pc800. So although i use the new mobo if i run that stuff on it will i actually see any advantage?

i asked some computer dude and he said i could just overclock them to that higher speed anyway.. i thought that this could destory the stability of my machine and is out of my league anyway but he said it was only a few changes to make in the bios... ???

is this true? any advice on what to do?

i would get one of the new p4's but the price difference is pretty major.. also the i850E mobo's are not even out here in New Zealand anyway but hopefully soon..:(

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Simple answer, the i850 and i850E are exactly the same. Intel simply garunteed the i850E to run at 133, and didn't put that garuntee on the original. Which means almost nothing.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?