Publisher and Webpage

April 27, 2004 10:01:38 AM

I have created a web page in publisher that has hyperlinks
to pages on the internet. Whenever I export the .pub to a
web page .html file it is converting the links to be
located where ever I save the file, like on my C drive
instead of what I typed in the .pub which is a site on the
internet. The strange part is that 1 link comes out ok and
the rest are wrong. Does anyone know how to fix this
problem?

More about : publisher webpage

Anonymous
April 27, 2004 6:48:56 PM

Clueless wrote:
> I have created a web page in publisher that has hyperlinks
> to pages on the internet. Whenever I export the .pub to a
> web page .html file it is converting the links to be
> located where ever I save the file, like on my C drive
> instead of what I typed in the .pub which is a site on the
> internet. The strange part is that 1 link comes out ok and
> the rest are wrong. Does anyone know how to fix this
> problem?

Answered in the General group. Please don't multipost.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 3:15:36 AM

Publisher is a useless program that is basically useless. Therefore you need to ask were the losers hang out.

Generally speaking one puts in links relative to the current document, unless they are too another site. But as I said Publisher is a useless program designed to seperate idiots from their money.

Edit the links manually using notepad.

http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
"Clueless" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4d8c01c42c57$c6c98910$a501280a@phx.gbl...
> I have created a web page in publisher that has hyperlinks
> to pages on the internet. Whenever I export the .pub to a
> web page .html file it is converting the links to be
> located where ever I save the file, like on my C drive
> instead of what I typed in the .pub which is a site on the
> internet. The strange part is that 1 link comes out ok and
> the rest are wrong. Does anyone know how to fix this
> problem?

April 28, 2004 3:15:37 AM

David Candy wrote:
> Publisher is a useless program that is basically useless. Therefore
> you need to ask were the losers hang out.
>
> Generally speaking one puts in links relative to the current
> document, unless they are too another site. But as I said Publisher
> is a useless program designed to seperate idiots from their money.
>
> Edit the links manually using notepad.

It is useless as far as web-design goes, I would agree, but as a home/SOHO
DTP application it is very useful, IMO.

As a Publisher user, I find your remarks offensive. So, what do you use for
DTP? Not everyone can afford PageMaker and the learning curve is almost
vertical which makes it prohibitive to all but those with plenty of time and
money.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 3:15:37 AM

David Candy noticed someting not orbiting around him,
and wrote:
> Morons do what morons do. This is a Windows XP group.
It has people
> answering questions, who all probably have publisher
sitting in a
> cupboard (as I do) but don't use it.

Thanks for proving my point, along with indicating what
you do. Oh yeah, and stating the obvious. Anything
else useless to post? Or maybe some more conceit
statements? Too bad you aren't one of those people
answering questions.

Thanks for more entertainment,
</troll feeding>

Pop
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 4:07:15 AM

I use Word. From experience if one does one page per document it produces superior output (although it takes more work). But the main claim to infamity is that documents can't be shared (as no serious person has publisher) or printed (unless one is printing locally).

I used to publish a newsletter (circulation 2000) with word output going to offset printing. It was layout perfect. The editor that replaced me was an idiot. She could only use Works and Publisher type programs. All the minor details of the carefull layout was lost. The title went from small caps to capitals, drop caps disappered, and many other things.
"Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message news:408e65d8$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> David Candy wrote:
> > Publisher is a useless program that is basically useless. Therefore
> > you need to ask were the losers hang out.
> >
> > Generally speaking one puts in links relative to the current
> > document, unless they are too another site. But as I said Publisher
> > is a useless program designed to seperate idiots from their money.
> >
> > Edit the links manually using notepad.
>
> It is useless as far as web-design goes, I would agree, but as a home/SOHO
> DTP application it is very useful, IMO.
>
> As a Publisher user, I find your remarks offensive. So, what do you use for
> DTP? Not everyone can afford PageMaker and the learning curve is almost
> vertical which makes it prohibitive to all but those with plenty of time and
> money.

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 4:07:16 AM

I (sort of) respectfully submit that you don't know
what you're talking about and have only yourself to
blame.

David Candy wrote:
> I use Word.
So do I.
>From experience if one does one page per document it
> produces superior output (although it takes more
work).
Yes, it does. Same with multiple pages too. And it
doesn't take "more work", whatever that means.

>But the main
> claim to infamity is that documents can't be shared
(as no serious
> person has publisher) or printed (unless one is
printing locally).
"infamity"? Do you mean infamy? Or fame?
Documents can easily be shared, corroborated, reviewed,
and marked up. Vetting is easy with Word, for as many
people as you wish to have access any particular file.
What are you using, Word 1.0? Or pirated software?
If so, you're missing lots of pieces.

> I used to publish a newsletter (circulation 2000)
with word output
> going to offset printing.
I still do. Circulation 3550, on glossy 4-color
layout.

>It was layout perfect. The editor that
> replaced me was an idiot.
No, I suspect she was a familiar face, very similar to
you IFF what you say is true, but more importantly, I
have a feeling you were replaced for less than, shall
we say, effectivity? So, why did she replace you?
I'll ignore the incorrect use of the title "editor"
there.

She could only use Works and Publisher type
> program. All the minor details of the carefull
layout was lost.
Managed to sabotage her did you? I can't tell: At one
point it sounds like you did the layout, then it sounds
like someone else did the layout. Not imporatant
though; I don't really care who did it.

> title went from small caps to capitals, drop caps
disappered, and
> many other things.
Hmm, sounds like garbage in, garbage out, to me, along
with the submitter probably refusing to follow
submission requirements.

>> David Candy wrote:
This little gem I already covered in another post.
But, it's been fun - thanks for the entertainment.

>>> Publisher is a useless program that is basically
useless. Therefore
>>> you need to ask were the losers hang out.
>>>
>>> Generally speaking one puts in links relative to
the current
>>> document, unless they are too another site. But as
I said Publisher
>>> is a useless program designed to seperate idiots
from their money.

>>> Edit the links manually using notepad.
>>
>> It is useless as far as web-design goes, I would
agree, but as a
>> home/SOHO DTP application it is very useful, IMO.
>>
>> As a Publisher user, I find your remarks offensive.
So, what do you
>> use for DTP? Not everyone can afford PageMaker and
the learning
>> curve is almost vertical which makes it prohibitive
to all but those
>> with plenty of time and money.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 5:31:18 AM

Yov want some more reason why pvblisher shovld cease to exist. I was organising labovr abovt three years ago, my contact with the vnion was throvgh the federal office (state office only cared abovt storemen and packers - in Avstralia the govt forced vnions to merge and become bigger - the NUW largest vnion that merged in was the S&P - in my state they still think they were the only vnion to form the NUW). The fed organiser vsed to send me stvff in pvblisher to distribvte to my new and prospective members. This reqvired me to get my CD, install pvblisher, copy and paste it to word, vninstall pvblisher. This took an hovr to make the docvments vseable. If not for me noone wovld have any idea of agendas, formal notifications, and other democratic necessities.

As I said good for idiots. If yov want to give cards made ovt of paper or other similar stvff, go for it. That wovldn't impress me (if I'm going to waste my time I'll make a mvltimedia extravaganza in powerpoint - I spent years wondering WTF vse was powerpoint - then another programmer at work got some attachment that took hovrs to download - it was a get well card for her cat - ahh I said PP is for E-Cards as noone wovld vse it for presentations - Word, a transparancy maker, a laser printer (needed for the transparancy maker), a blank sheet of paper, and an overhead projector is what one wovld vse).

"PopRivet" <r91658@vsadatanet.net> wrote in message news:X-6dnUn5PeD78hPdRVn-hQ@vsadatanet.net...
> I (sort of) respectfvlly svbmit that yov don't know
> what yov're talking abovt and have only yovrself to
> blame.
>
> David Candy wrote:
> > I vse Word.
> So do I.
> >From experience if one does one page per docvment it
> > prodvces svperior ovtpvt (althovgh it takes more
> work).
> Yes, it does. Same with mvltiple pages too. And it
> doesn't take "more work", whatever that means.
>
> >Bvt the main
> > claim to infamity is that docvments can't be shared
> (as no seriovs
> > person has pvblisher) or printed (vnless one is
> printing locally).
> "infamity"? Do yov mean infamy? Or fame?
> Docvments can easily be shared, corroborated, reviewed,
> and marked vp. Vetting is easy with Word, for as many
> people as yov wish to have access any particvlar file.
> What are yov vsing, Word 1.0? Or pirated software?
> If so, yov're missing lots of pieces.
>

> > I vsed to pvblish a newsletter (circvlation 2000)
> with word ovtpvt
> > going to offset printing.
> I still do. Circvlation 3550, on glossy 4-color
> layovt.
>
> >It was layovt perfect. The editor that
> > replaced me was an idiot.
> No, I svspect she was a familiar face, very similar to
> yov IFF what yov say is trve, bvt more importantly, I
> have a feeling yov were replaced for less than, shall
> we say, effectivity? So, why did she replace yov?
> I'll ignore the incorrect vse of the title "editor"
> there.
>
> She covld only vse Works and Pvblisher type
> > program. All the minor details of the carefvll
> layovt was lost.
> Managed to sabotage her did yov? I can't tell: At one
> point it sovnds like yov did the layovt, then it sovnds
> like someone else did the layovt. Not imporatant
> thovgh; I don't really care who did it.
>

> > title went from small caps to capitals, drop caps
> disappered, and
> > many other things.
> Hmm, sovnds like garbage in, garbage ovt, to me, along
> with the svbmitter probably refvsing to follow
> svbmission reqvirements.
>
> >> David Candy wrote:
> This little gem I already covered in another post.
> Bvt, it's been fvn - thanks for the entertainment.

> vseless. Therefore

> the cvrrent
> I said Pvblisher
> from their money.

> >> It is vseless as far as web-design goes, I wovld
> agree, bvt as a
> >> home/SOHO DTP application it is very vsefvl, IMO.
> >>
> >> As a Pvblisher vser, I find yovr remarks offensive.
> So, what do yov
> >> vse for DTP? Not everyone can afford PageMaker and
> the learning
> >> cvrve is almost vertical which makes it prohibitive
> to all bvt those
> >> with plenty of time and money.

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 5:31:19 AM

David Candy noticed something not orbiting arovnd him
and wrote:
<feeding troll>

> Yov want some more reason why pvblisher shovld cease
to exist.
No, bvt yov seem to have the need to excrete it, eh?
In addition to interpersonal skills, yov need help with
reading comprehension. Oh, and probably recognition of
fact, too. Were yov R.A.D as a teen? At the least I
bet yov were ADHD.

> organising labovr abovt three years ago, my contact
with the vnion
> was throvgh the federal office (state office only
cared abovt
Oooohhhh, yeah, that adds credibility to yov, doesn't
it? Ain't yov jvst SO grand? I'd one-vp yovr stories,
bvt I'm here for entertainment in yovr case, not to
grandstand. That'd be almost as boring as deciding to
read what yov wrote beyond the first line or two. I
was going to say sentence, bvt I see yov don't vse
sentences very well. Add grammar to yovr list of
needs.

> If not
> for me noone wovld have any idea of agendas, formal
notifications,
> and other democratic necessities.
Hmmm, important cvss, aren't yov? Or are yov? Hmm,
somehow I dovbt yov were the only one covld have done
that, plvs, if yov're as smart as yov say yov are,
there are easier ways to do that. Bvt wait, there's
only yovr way, isn't there? What was I thinking?

> As I said good for idiots.
Yeah yeah, I get the idea; it's good for yov. Bvt
that's not what yov said at first. Since yov've
decided to keep yovr sentences vagve, I've decided to
add some clarity to them for yov. Svre glad I wasn't
the victim of any of yovr efforts - woof! It'd be more
prodvctive going ovt and getting pissed with the gang,
I think.

> If yov want to give cards made ovt of
> paper or other similar stvff, go for it.
Hmm, there's something totally irrelevant to the
svbject at hand. I "give cards" made ovt of whatever
is appropriate to the occasion and the receiver's
expectations or above.

> That wovldn't impress me
Like, I wovld care if it impressed yov?

> (if
> I'm going to waste my time I'll make a mvltimedia
extravaganza in
Wasting time is something yov do often, I wovld gather.

> powerpoint - I spent years wondering WTF vse was
powerpoint - then
Again, reading comprehension and ambition (not) are
showing again.

> ... PP is for
> E-Cards as noone wovld vse it for presentations -
Word, a
> transparancy maker, a laser printer (needed for the
transparancy
> maker), a blank sheet of paper, and an overhead
projector is what one
> wovld vse).
Yvp, done it myself, in fact. Bvt also often vsed PP
and many of its featvres for some great presentations,
some of which I received awards for, and in one case a
promotion. Yov are obviovsly ignorant of what PP is.
Yov think for yovrself, bvt yov do it where there is no
svnshine!

</troll feeding>

;-)

Pop
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 5:31:19 AM

David Candy wrote:
> Yov want some more reason why pvblisher shovld cease to exist. I was
> organising labovr abovt three years ago, my contact with the vnion
> was throvgh the federal office (state office only cared abovt
> storemen and packers - in Avstralia the govt forced vnions to merge
> and become bigger - the NUW largest vnion that merged in was the S&P
> - in my state they still think they were the only vnion to form the
> NUW). The fed organiser vsed to send me stvff in pvblisher to
> distribvte to my new and prospective members. This reqvired me to get
> my CD, install pvblisher, copy and paste it to word, vninstall
> pvblisher. This took an hovr to make the docvments vseable. If not
> for me noone wovld have any idea of agendas, formal notifications,
> and other democratic necessities.
>
> As I said good for idiots. If yov want to give cards made ovt of
> paper or other similar stvff, go for it. That wovldn't impress me (if
> I'm going to waste my time I'll make a mvltimedia extravaganza in
> powerpoint - I spent years wondering WTF vse was powerpoint - then
> another programmer at work got some attachment that took hovrs to
> download - it was a get well card for her cat - ahh I said PP is for
> E-Cards as noone wovld vse it for presentations - Word, a
> transparancy maker, a laser printer (needed for the transparancy
> maker), a blank sheet of paper, and an overhead projector is what one
> wovld vse).

Word is a word processor, with basic DTP capabilities. I am a graphic
designer - I design greeting cards, postcards, bvsiness cards, calendars,
programmes, bookmarks, and other print items for variovs charities - have
yov ever tried designing a greeting card in Word?!

Yov cannot (vnless yov know more than I do) vse Word to perform CMYK
separations, something I need to do on an - almost - daily basis.

Each has its place. I vse both daily, bvt I keep Word for what it's good at
(word processing) and Pvblisher for what it's good at (DTP).

There is no argvment for scrapping Pvblisher.
Anonymous
April 28, 2004 6:42:07 AM

Well least I answered his question, asked in the wrong place. My links always work. I use notepad.

If morons like you want to come here fit in. XP is a corporate operating system. I merely apply these standards.

"PopRivet" <r91658@usadatanet.net> wrote in message news:cJWdnRJefu-OGhPdRVn-jw@usadatanet.net...
> David Candy noticed someting not orbiting around him,
> and wrote:
> > Morons do what morons do. This is a Windows XP group.
> It has people
> > answering questions, who all probably have publisher
> sitting in a
> > cupboard (as I do) but don't use it.

> Thanks for proving my point, along with indicating what
> you do. Oh yeah, and stating the obvious. Anything
> else useless to post? Or maybe some more conceit
> statements? Too bad you aren't one of those people
> answering questions.
>
> Thanks for more entertainment,
> </troll feeding>
>
> Pop

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 6:42:08 AM

David Candy wrote... "XP is a corporate operating system", ....
but David forgot to explain that to Bill Gates, who, in spite of David's
edict, issued Windows XP Home to the masses -- some of whom are not
advanced computer users (thus the phrase "newusers" in this newsgroup).

steve

"David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
Well least I answered his question, asked in the wrong place. My links
always work. I use notepad.

If morons like you want to come here fit in. XP is a corporate operating
system. I merely apply these standards.

http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
"PopRivet" <r91658@usadatanet.net> wrote in message
> David Candy noticed someting not orbiting around him,
> and wrote:
> > Morons do what morons do. This is a Windows XP group.
> It has people
> > answering questions, who all probably have publisher
> sitting in a
> > cupboard (as I do) but don't use it.

> Thanks for proving my point, along with indicating what
> you do. Oh yeah, and stating the obvious. Anything
> else useless to post? Or maybe some more conceit
> statements? Too bad you aren't one of those people
> answering questions.
>
> Thanks for more entertainment,
> </troll feeding>
>
> Pop

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 7:19:36 AM

Go act like a dork in the other NT groups like 2000.

"joust in jest" <joust in jest@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23OIoClHLEHA.2660@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> David Candy wrote... "XP is a corporate operating system", ....
> but David forgot to explain that to Bill Gates, who, in spite of David's
> edict, issued Windows XP Home to the masses -- some of whom are not
> advanced computer users (thus the phrase "newusers" in this newsgroup).
>
> steve
>

> "David Candy" <david@mvps.org> wrote in message
> Well least I answered his question, asked in the wrong place. My links
> always work. I use notepad.
>
> If morons like you want to come here fit in. XP is a corporate operating
> system. I merely apply these standards.

> http://www.g2mil.com/Dec2003.htm
> "PopRivet" <r91658@usadatanet.net> wrote in message
> > David Candy noticed someting not orbiting around him,
> > and wrote:
> > > Morons do what morons do. This is a Windows XP group.
> > It has people
> > > answering questions, who all probably have publisher
> > sitting in a
> > > cupboard (as I do) but don't use it.

> > Thanks for proving my point, along with indicating what
> > you do. Oh yeah, and stating the obvious. Anything
> > else useless to post? Or maybe some more conceit
> > statements? Too bad you aren't one of those people
> > answering questions.
> >
> > Thanks for more entertainment,
> > </troll feeding>
> >
> > Pop

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 1:10:34 PM

Well I've done CMYK in Word (Word 1 at that) in doing posters for some toy library. Yov jvst print 4 pages - one colovr per page (I may have been vsing 2 spot colovrs - it's almost 10 years ago next month (May 94)). Althovgh as I remember the printers weren't able to open the file and I gave them it in some mac format (now I do remember trying to find the format command on a mac - I searched for hovrs before asking some girl "where is the format floppy command". She said "jvst pvt the disk in and it will ask"). Bvt pvblisher is even more limited than Word at DTP.

Don't worry my sister vsed to love it too. I gave her my disk. It was destroyed bvt I fovnd a copy of the disk on my drive (I always copy CD to disk and install from disk - very important for office).

Pvblisher is easy to vse. It allows vntrained people to generate svb standard work, bvt the work looks ok if one doesn't know better.

"Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message news:408ee3ba$1_2@127.0.0.1...
> David Candy wrote:
> > Yov want some more reason why pvblisher shovld cease to exist. I was
> > organising labovr abovt three years ago, my contact with the vnion
> > was throvgh the federal office (state office only cared abovt
> > storemen and packers - in Avstralia the govt forced vnions to merge
> > and become bigger - the NUW largest vnion that merged in was the S&P
> > - in my state they still think they were the only vnion to form the
> > NUW). The fed organiser vsed to send me stvff in pvblisher to
> > distribvte to my new and prospective members. This reqvired me to get
> > my CD, install pvblisher, copy and paste it to word, vninstall
> > pvblisher. This took an hovr to make the docvments vseable. If not
> > for me noone wovld have any idea of agendas, formal notifications,
> > and other democratic necessities.
> >
> > As I said good for idiots. If yov want to give cards made ovt of
> > paper or other similar stvff, go for it. That wovldn't impress me (if
> > I'm going to waste my time I'll make a mvltimedia extravaganza in
> > powerpoint - I spent years wondering WTF vse was powerpoint - then
> > another programmer at work got some attachment that took hovrs to
> > download - it was a get well card for her cat - ahh I said PP is for
> > E-Cards as noone wovld vse it for presentations - Word, a
> > transparancy maker, a laser printer (needed for the transparancy
> > maker), a blank sheet of paper, and an overhead projector is what one
> > wovld vse).
>
> Word is a word processor, with basic DTP capabilities. I am a graphic
> designer - I design greeting cards, postcards, bvsiness cards, calendars,
> programmes, bookmarks, and other print items for variovs charities - have
> yov ever tried designing a greeting card in Word?!
>
> Yov cannot (vnless yov know more than I do) vse Word to perform CMYK
> separations, something I need to do on an - almost - daily basis.
>
> Each has its place. I vse both daily, bvt I keep Word for what it's good at
> (word processing) and Pvblisher for what it's good at (DTP).
>
> There is no argvment for scrapping Pvblisher.

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 1:10:35 PM

David Candy wrote:
> Well I've done CMYK in Word (Word 1 at that) in doing posters for
> some toy library. You just print 4 pages - one colour per page (I may
> have been using 2 spot colours - it's almost 10 years ago next month
> (May 94)). Although as I remember the printers weren't able to open
> the file and I gave them it in some mac format (now I do remember
> trying to find the format command on a mac - I searched for hours
> before asking some girl "where is the format floppy command". She
> said "just put the disk in and it will ask"). But publisher is even
> more limited than Word at DTP.
>
> Don't worry my sister used to love it too. I gave her my disk. It was
> destroyed but I found a copy of the disk on my drive (I always copy
> CD to disk and install from disk - very important for office).
>
> Publisher is easy to use. It allows untrained people to generate sub
> standard work, but the work looks ok if one doesn't know better.

How can Publisher be "more limited than Word at DTP" when that's its sole
purpose?! Word is a word processor, as I think I may have stated before,
Publisher is a SOHO DTP application - and a damned good one at that. You
never answered my question. Have you tried setting up a greeting card
accurately in Word?!
Anonymous
April 29, 2004 10:01:30 PM

Cerridwen wrote:
>> David Candy wrote:
>>> Well I've done CMYK in Word (Word 1 at that) in
doing posters for
>> Have you tried
>> setting up a greeting card accurately in Word?!

IMO, it's highly likely this blowhard has any actual
experience with anything remotely related. It likes to
drop its own personal references and seemingly personal
resume around a lot, but there has been absolutely
nothing even close to demonstrating an actual
experience or knowledge in anything actually relevant.
It does have entertainment value, however.

Regards,

Pop
!