Updating to Windows XP

I have Windows ME, which is very unstable. Will upgrading
to XP give me the same results as reformatting and making
a clean install (and saving time)?

If I make a clean install, how can I replace the Microsoft
software (WORD, Excel, Powerpoint) that was factory pre-
installed? (I have the OEM disks.)

Any advice is much appreciated. Bob Leilich
(rleilich@covad.net)

Q1: No. Upgrade does not equal clean install.
Most often, upgrading the Operating System of an unstable system to a
new Operating System results in an unstable system with a new Operating
System.
Sometimes upgrades of problem systems add new problems to those
already existing.
If the existing problems are hardware-related, it is likely that the
upgrade will fail -- sometimes failed installs result in an un-bootable
Operating System mess -- neither ME, nor XP -- some sort of an EX.

Q2: Possibly. Depends on whether or not the OEM branded (tied to your
BIOS) their distribution of Office.

steve

"Bob Leilich" <rleilich@covad.net> wrote in message
> I have Windows ME, which is very unstable. Will upgrading
> to XP give me the same results as reformatting and making
> a clean install (and saving time)?
>
> If I make a clean install, how can I replace the Microsoft
> software (WORD, Excel, Powerpoint) that was factory pre-
> installed? (I have the OEM disks.)
>
> Any advice is much appreciated. Bob Leilich
> (rleilich@covad.net)

Steve:

Many thanks for your good advice and thoughtful comments.
I dread the pain and time that goes with replacing an OS,
but can easily appreciate an accept your comments about
upgrading could even be more of a long-term problem. I
am going to bite the bullet and follow your suggestion.
Once done, I am sure I'll be pleased to have followed your
advice. - Bob Leilich

Bob:

Before you start:
1.) Make sure that your hardware meets minimum standards for XP.
Microsoft has a downloadable script that will check your hardware for known
compatibility issues (if I remember correctly, it is called "Hardware
Compatiblity Wizard).
2.) Make sure that you obtain Win XP drivers for you hardware, e.g.
a.) Motherboard chip set (this one is imperative)
b.) Video card (this one is imperative)
c.) Modem
d.) NIC card, sound card, and other special devices

Good luck
steve