task manager

April 27, 2004 2:02:42 PM

How many programs are supposed to be running? Are
processes the same as programs? Also my sytems times out
to my logon again. How do I stop this?

Thank You

More about : task manager

Anonymous
April 27, 2004 11:49:03 PM

FWIW I usually have anything from 28 to 32 processes running. Task Manager is useful but you could look at another freeware utility Process Explorer, which provides similar information but adds that little bit extra towards seeing what the running processes represent. For further information about Process Explorer see here:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtm...

You may be able to prune the number of running processes by examining whether the Applications ( Programmes ) generating the running processes need to run continuously in the background or can be changed so that they start on demand. Wherever possible make changes with the programme.

A lot of processes are related to Windows XP Services -Start, Administrative Tools, Services. You should find others relating to your anti-virus and firewall.

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~