Mixed wireless/wired, loss of internet access

I have a 2Wire 1000SW (802.11b), and a Win2000 (new install + all svc
pks & updates) box with a NetGear WG311 (802.11g) card. I have posted
problems with this setup earlier - but thanks to some suggestions - I
seem the have stable Internet access on this wireless setup. BTW, this
box is about 50' away from the 2Wire and the NetGear software reports a
consistant ±50% signal.

Now, I also have a Linksys BEFSR81 wired router in the same room as the
Win2000 box. I installed a Linksys NIC in the Win200 box (along with the
NetGear wireless NIC). I physically connected this computer to the
Linksys router using CAT5. Under the properties for the Linksys wired
NIC, I enabled "Internet Connection Sharing" and provided a static local IP.

I then plugged an XP laptop into the wired router and configured it to
use the Win2000 box as the gateway. at this point I have Internet access
on the XP box ====== Now the problem, it's very sporadic. Specifically,
if you are browsing on the Win2000 box and someone starts browsing on
the XP box - then both go down. Maybe for 30 sec, maybe for 5 min.

Again, the Win2000 Internet connection is fairly stable as long as the
WinXP laptop is not accessing the Internet.

But there is no rhyme or reason to this - sometimes they will both work
without problem for 30 min or more - then all of a sudden - no access.

I'm about to go buy a 100' CAT5 cable and run it from the 2Wire to the
Linksys router and be done with it - before I do, any suggestions?

TIA
1 answer Last reply
More about mixed wireless wired loss internet access

    > I'm about to go buy a 100' CAT5 cable and run it from the 2Wire to the
    > Linksys router and be done with it - before I do, any suggestions?

    I try to figure out why you're using a Win 2k machine with ICS on the
    wireless through a router. Maybe, you should consider getting a WAP and
    plug it into the router, letting the router be the true gateway device for
    the wired and wireless machines and be done with it.

    Duane :)

Wireless Internet Access Wireless Networking