Microsoft Disagrees With 'Clumsy' Criticisms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoidman

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
I too read the article, and one point Brass brought up, that I've heard a lot tricking through about Microsoft having incredibly hostile internal dynamics. What I mean is one sector often works against another in order to ensure their product reigns supreme, even if the other product is in fact superior.

randomizer

Champion
ClearType reaching a billion PCs is not even related to innovation. That's called a monopoly on a product. Is IE6 innovative because for the longest time it's been installed on more PCs than any other browser?

MS is a pathetic innovator, just as all big software companies (and indeed most companies in every market) are. They rely on patenting the whole world so that they can sit on their existing products' success and keep out the competition through lawsuits. True innovation comes from sharing ideas freely, not locking them up in a complex web of restrictive licences and closed-source programming.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
"The first to bring Facebook and Twitter to the living room."

my laptop has done this for a very long time. as well as many televisions.

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
The Xbox360 hasn't done anything revolutionary. Yes it was the first console to bring high def
movies to the living room, and it was the first to be obsolete. The PS3 is the Bluray player of choice
and it plays all the same games the Xbox360 does and then some. Windows itself is also a sleeper, yes
they lead in technology but what do they have for competition???? Basically in a nutshell, Nobody! Yes they
do drag their feet and we all accept it, until someone comes along and really challenges them it's going to
be the same old same old year after year after year..............

jlyu

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
the only thing I can say microsoft is doing well will be the "natal" motion gaming addon

G

Basically, the only reason Intel's monopoly has lasted is because of Microsoft handing the PC market to them on a silver platter, and in turn, unless another architecture can gain strong ecosystem support from a broad range of hard-and-soft-ware vendors, then Intel also props up Microsoft's monopoly.

Neither innovates unless they absolutely have to, and Microsoft "features" tend to include tying everything into Active Directory, which in turn ensures that if you use somebody else's web-browser/database/whatever, that you'll lose tons of features and integration(anybody who works with AD knows what an epic-fail of a standard it really is). Intel, on the other hand, does the same thing with hardware, with the recent Ion, Pinetrail and Westmere shenanigans, they're scared shitless that Nvidia might make $20 off of one of their motherboard sales, they'd much rather force you to have their shit graphics....

sha7bot

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Good grief people, why all the hate for MS? I would place money on the fact that every person reading this uses MS on a daily basis. (You mac users can piss off w/ your 6% of the market)Sure they have their problems, but they are perhaps one of the most innovative companies in the world. I would love to see anyone else create a more stable operating system with the infinite hardware and software combinations that MS deals with on an hourly basis.

Uninovative? 93% of the PC market uses their software. That alone creates a standard and thus driving innovation world-wide.

MS brought gamming into the 21st century, a feat that Sony, Mac, Nintendo, Sega, and the thousands of other competitors can't lay claim to. X-Box alone has created a gaming network far superior to any other console available. Quibble if you will about bugs and flaws, but ask yourself, "Would be here were it not for MS?"

Tomtompiper

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
What nonsense,

Uninovative? 93% of the PC market uses their software. That alone creates a standard and thus driving innovation world-wide.

That logic would make water and air the most innovative things in the world. There is also the fact that that same 93% use GNULinux software every day, but don't know it.

Vermil

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
Both Brass' and Shaw's comments are valid. They're talking past each other,
Ok, people, MS is NOT a particularly innovative company. But I don't see that as their role. MS position is more to drag their customers, screaming and kicking ("I want DOS!" "Who needs 64-bit!") along in a rapidly changing world of technology.
They've mostly been good at that, though there are some bad holes in their performance.
Like their once war on standards. It has held back business developments for all, thus making MS miss huge opportunities. And it has only marginalized MS in a lot of areas, where they are the proprietary owner of #C and whatnot that no one wants to use for exactly that reason.
The guy who IMO was mainly responsible for a lot of that mess (as well as the Vista mess), has recently left MS. Hopefully that means a brighter future in the long run.
A threat right now, I think, is that XBox focus damage PC-gaming. I think MS need to do much more on PC-gaming. It and DirectX is one of their fundamentally best entrenched positions, it's weird to see how little they care about that these days. I think maybe we again can see some of the negative dynamics Brass mentioned.

G

manwell999: Those darn GNU folks, they are the P.E.T.A. of open-source... How dare they try claim credit for Linux when they only did half the work?

Linux = Core OS layer, primarily involving hardware management and drivers

GNU = All of the command line utilities that userland applications depend on, and for gnome users, the desktop environment

slipdisc

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2005
Just lip service. Everyone love to cheer for the underdog, and chip away at the leader. Its all good. It won't change the fact that Windows is, by far, the most popular and used OS ever created for desktop computers.

Jobs called it "clunky old PC software' at the iPad announcement.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
"The first to bring Facebook and Twitter to the living room."

So the first console to bring Facebook and Twitter to the living room? That's what I call INNOVATION! ~sarcasm~ Except my computer has done that since their existance...and that is located in the livingroom...

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]slipdisc[/nom]Just lip service. Everyone love to cheer for the underdog, and chip away at the leader. Its all good. It won't change the fact that Windows is, by far, the most popular and used OS ever created for desktop computers.Jobs called it "clunky old PC software' at the iPad announcement.[/citation]
Why don't you read the Harvard Article on "Microsoft of 2005" to get a better understanding as to why that is...hahaha. Plus many computer people don't choose M$ as their OS...only the unintelligent do...

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]Sha7bot[/nom]Good grief people, why all the hate for MS? I would place money on the fact that every person reading this uses MS on a daily basis. (You mac users can piss off w/ your 6% of the market)Sure they have their problems, but they are perhaps one of the most innovative companies in the world. I would love to see anyone else create a more stable operating system with the infinite hardware and software combinations that MS deals with on an hourly basis.Uninovative? 93% of the PC market uses their software. That alone creates a standard and thus driving innovation world-wide. MS brought gamming into the 21st century, a feat that Sony, Mac, Nintendo, Sega, and the thousands of other competitors can't lay claim to. X-Box alone has created a gaming network far superior to any other console available. Quibble if you will about bugs and flaws, but ask yourself, "Would be here were it not for MS?"[/citation]
First of all, you sound like one of those lamers over at Newegg who rate their technological competency as HIGH but yet present the most unintelligent review of how overclocking makes your computer crash and don't know why.

I personally don't hate M$, but reading comments like yours presenting useless information with no viable arguments to back up your claim is...well, entertaining but discouraging to say the least as you shoot off at the mouth as if your completely...competent. However...

"I would love to see anyone else create a more stable operating system with the infinite hardware and software combinations that MS deals with on an hourly basis". WTF kind of argument is THAT?! All major OSes deal with this problem, just that M$ has better support because they HAVE TO with their monopolistic market-share. The more stable has already been created, it's called Mac and Linux. LOL. Linux has a superior filesystem structure that helps it remain secure and stable...M$ proposed a file-system restructuring for the Windows Vista release called the WinFS...but that was scrapped and Vista overall was a POS. Your comment about "hardware and software combinations" is rather...amusing!

By the way, M$ is not really an awe-inspiring innovator...they like to come in in the middle of the game and take market shares away. And sorry if I don't believe that M$ brought gaming into the 21st century entirely on a measly xbox-live status. Your so called reference to "thousands of competitors" is so confusing...who are these thousands of competitors that couldn't bring gaming to the 21st century? How truly was it that M$ was ABLE to do this?!

"Would we be here if it wasn't for M$?" Yeah, I would still be here. ;-)

P.s. Oh by the way, M$ likes to take open source... copy parts of the source code and slap a proprietary technology on it. But hey, that's innovation for M$ right?

Status
Not open for further replies.