Sign in with
Your question

Windows for a company

Last response: in Windows 7
August 11, 2010 2:35:00 PM

Hi!
There is a company with about 12 laptop PCs.
All they need Windows 7 on it and plus Microsoft Office 2007.
Other things maybe too, but that shouldn't be a problem.
What is the best solution for such a company?
Do I really have to buy 12x300$ + the same for Office or maybe there is a better solution?

More about : windows company

a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2010 2:54:34 PM

If you have more than 5 computers then it's worth having a look at Microsoft Volume Licensing. You won't save a huge amount, but any saving is worthwhile.

Or just go for Linux with OpenOffice and pay nothing!
m
l
August 11, 2010 3:24:06 PM

Still don't understand!
If I buy with this Microsoft Volume Licensing then I have to pay every year a fee?
Also what are CALs used for?
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2010 4:08:23 PM

No, that's only if you purchase Software Assurance, which gives you the right to automatically upgrade to the latest software.

CALs are Client Access Licences. You need them to access a Windows server.

I think your best bet would be to talk to a Microsoft reseller and ask them the best way to fulfil your needs. Working out the best deal for bulk purchase of Microsoft licences can be quite complicated; a retailer will be able to advise you.
m
l
August 11, 2010 4:12:42 PM

What does count as a "client" in CAL?
I read more about Volume Licensing and found that Microsoft Open Licence would suit most our needs.
Where can I find a reseller?
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2010 5:00:19 PM

Any computer that connects to a server is a client. If you have a Windows server and 12 computer that log on to it then that is 12 clients. I believe that Windows Server comes with 5 CALs and you have to buy any additional ones. Again a Microsoft retailler could help you with this.

Here's how to find Microsoft retailers in the US.
m
l
August 11, 2010 5:12:10 PM

Sadly no resellers in my country :( 
m
l
!