What's the most overrated game you've ever played?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
Just an opinion-based thread, no flames please.

I'm going to walk out on a limb here and say that, for me personally, it has to be Battlefield 2. I know that this game is worshipped by a great deal of people out there, but I have to be honest and say I was very disappointed. I spent $50 on a game that takes forever to load every level. And when you finally get to play, for some reason your bullets careen all over the screen and hit everything except what you are aiming at. Oh, and good freakin' luck playing if you're not the first person to load and jump in that "Invinci-Tank."

Remember, this is just an opinion. I just want to see what other people think about buying a game that everyone says is awesome, installing it and thinking to yourself, "WTF."

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Hmmm... going to get flamed, I know it.
But, the most overrated game I ever played was FEAR. After who knows how many industrial warehouse levels I just quit. I was sick of all the boring textures and stuff. I did like the AI, but that was all the game had going for it. The system reqs are ridiculous for that game, too. All that power just to get to play FEAR? Wasn't worth it for me.
Behind that, Doom3. And trailing that, Half-life 2 (I know I'll get it for that one:))

Flakes

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
erm,

HL2 probably at the top of my list far too short, next FEAR, for the boring levels agree with the guy above AI was good, but i also found the game too easy, cause alot of the time you would kno what was comming next.

i didnt play BF2 cause of the complaints ppl had with it, but i would agree it was overated even though i havnt played it lol.

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I agree about Doom 3 being overrated. Every level of that game looked exactly the same as the one that came before. Never played HL2, so I can't comment on that.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Wow, no burn for naming HL2... that's interesting.
It wasn't that HL2 isn't any good, it just didn't come close to living up to all the hype. I was very disappointed in the game overall, but it was kind of helped by CS:Source. That was some cool shiz, especially since I'd never played the original CS.
Nothing to see here. Move along...

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Pong!

Why because everytime there's a conversation about pc then pc games and someone comes up with pong and everyone says it's the coolest old school game and it rocks but reality is no one really spend that much time playing pong. Seriously who does! That game makes me sleep, as if it hypnotysis me everytime I see it the the ball bouncing back and forth.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Totally agree about BF2. Everyone (well, except Wolfy who warned me) said how great it was, and so much better than Joint Ops, blah, blah.

In fact, I think I prefer Joint Ops. The graphics are poo compared to BF2, but at least it doesn't take a year and a half to load a map. Having said that, I don't play either any more.

Next up: Rise of Nations. Great concept, but they added too much without building an interface to cope with it. You spend the whole time desperately trying to manage all your buildings and barely get a moment to take an overview. Unless you use the pause button, which kinda defeats the purpose of an RTS.

And third: Black & White. Amazing concept, boring gameplay. Micromanagers would love it though.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
You guys are all making me happy that I never bought BF2. Thanks for that! $50 saved is $50 earned. Just don't tell uncle sam...

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
My votes are for:

Star Wars Empire at War
Masters of Orion III
Age of Mythology

I'd describe MOO3 as more "over-hyped" than over-rated. Most of the reviews I read of it were pretty poor, which is why I never bought it.

I quite liked AoM as well - it was a refreshing change from AoE with the mythical units and the god powers. Certainly a lot better than AoE3, where there hasn't been a lot of improvement over AoE2. The Titans expansion pack was a bit weak though.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
Doom 3 for sure (stopped playing for 1 week, forgot which way I was going because it all looked the same, uninstalled it).
FEAR because of the bugs
HL2 as well

Of the above 3, FEAR was the only one i finished.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Great thread, kudos to all, especially sdrawkcaBgoD for starting it off.

Okay, here goes: Halo.

It still baffles me to this day how popular this game is. Entirely overrated. I don't like GTA games much, but I can't really say they're overrated. I can understand why people like them. But Halo? Never understood that one...

Lots of HL2 and BF2 out there....interesting....

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
For me it's a tough call between BF2, Doom3 and Fable. I think I'll go for BF2.

I completely forgot about Fable. Talk about a wasted opportunity to do something truly innovative! They completely dropped the ball on that one.

Human1

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2006
Yeah, Halo wasn't what it was meant to be, after M$ grabbed it by the throat and demanded it be Xbox exclusive. I was at a lan once where everyone wanted to play some CTF on Halo. We spent nearly 2 hours installing it on everyones machines and after about 10 minutes I was done with it. What a crap game, but then most console->PC ports are crap.

riva2model64

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2006
To me it was either Doom 3 or Halo.

Halo, i did not understand why people liked to play it so much cause i did not enjoy it. overrated.

There was lots of hype and the online previews really got you pumped to grab a copy of Doom 3 ( i downloaded the demo actually). presentation was superb but as you played, it got less fun and more linear. overhyped. except for graphics. graphics quality is incredible. textures are through the roof, but of course, all of you already know this.

I personally thought FarCry was impressive. And the FEAR was a breath of fresh air in the modern shooter world.

Finneus

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
BF2 for me as well. I just could not get into it, absolutely boring to me. And the fact it takes so long to do something so simple as to load a game and play online... just baffles me beyond belief, especially when so many other games are so streamlined in that regard.

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
I have to agree about farcry with you, I found that while the story line was cheesy and the charactors idiotic, I loved the non-linear aspect of the game and the wide open spaces. Take any route to your destination, swim, boat, hang glide or jeep... the ability to go anyway you wanted was FREEDOM!! This is also one of the reasons I disliked Doom3 so much, one wrong turn and you are stuck going in circles for an hour before you figure out which way to go (because the hallways all look the same).

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
I also liked FarCry. It was such a massive game and one that was so visually stunning in its day. I'm also a huge FEAR fan. It's probably one of my favorite FPS games of all time. I love popping off headshots in slo-mo.

Edit: Now that I think of it, one of the reasons I liked FarCry so much was that when I first played it I had just recently gotten my x850xt PE and it looked so AWESOME to me at the time. Of course, my best friend was still playing games with a GF5500 at the time, so a lot of that was bragging rights. And FEAR was the first new game I played after I got my x1900xt, so same thing there. I still play FEAR, though.

I'm not trying to argue with people who think these games are overrated. We each have opinions and yours are just as valid as mine.

sdrawkcaBgoD

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2006
My votes are for:

Star Wars Empire at War
Masters of Orion III
Age of Mythology

I'm a huge Star Wars fan. I played SW:EaW and was blown away for the first ten minutes just because of the idea of orchestrating my own space battles in a galaxy far, far away.

However, when you actually start to play the game for real, you realize how much it falls short. There are two difficulty settings: Cakewalk and Suicide. In Cakewalk, you can win every land battle using only Darth Vader. (It's true - I've done it!) In Suicide, your entire fleet will be wiped out by a freighter full of drunken jawas.

*Note: For the purposes of this post, Suicide can be considered any difficulty setting that's not Easy.

unsmart

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2005
Did anyone finish playing doom3? One badguy every ten minutes and no plot. I thuoght serious sam 2 was lame, played the fist level. Same with BF2.
I can see fear all though I deed play to the end I liked the A.I and graphic that much. Also the story was akira like and kinda cool but same textures and enemies.
WTF HL2?! That game kicked a** !! I never played a game like it before, everything was so well done and the end is just crazy. The physic, graphics and game play where break though IMO.
But thats just me and I dislike RPGs [ played D&D as a kid and nothing compares] and RTS.
I'm old and remember playing pong it really was fun :lol:

lordslashstab

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
To me my opinion on BF2 is it's an upgraded counterstrike w/ vehicles. It has it's fun points(running around as a medic) and low points (can't blow up mines unless you step on them). Not good enough anti air in that game and tanks are bitches to kill. Although I get good joystick time in w/ the jets, but some dogfights I loose control and wind up out of bounds and dead.
On HL2 I loved the whole game, played it a couple times and baught the episode 1(haven't gotten to play it yet). The best thing about hl2 is the deathmatch, so many frag'n possibilities.
Oblivion was fun until you realize that the world is huge and uninteresting after your character can kill anyone w/ the umbra, oh and it's soooo boring to break into people's houses only to find 3 gold and a lot more useless junk, and whatever happened to being able to kill people in town quickly and not having a guard immediatly come after you? it's just not there, I'm much too deviant for oblivion.
I finished DOOM 3 (my internet was gone for a while and had no other outlet) ummm It was good if you got into it turning up the speakers at night and getting scared(alcohol and weed added to the game too) I thought it had a good depiction of hell although it's fairly straightforward and boring between monsters.

don't bother pointing out mizspellings cause i don't care anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.