users and folders don't match up

April 27, 2004 10:48:46 PM

Please help, as I am a new xp user from win 98 and find
the user option confusing. I have 5 users on the
computer, but when I check the folders out in explorer, I
find that one user is not listed with his name, but under
another user with the name spelled "smith_2". Smith is
one of the other users. How come the folder did not pick
up on "jones", but put it under "smith_2". what did I do
wrong.

Thanks,

Jeff

More about : users folders match

Anonymous
April 28, 2004 1:26:06 AM

jeff from new england wrote:
> Please help, as I am a new xp user from win 98 and find
> the user option confusing. I have 5 users on the
> computer, but when I check the folders out in explorer, I
> find that one user is not listed with his name, but under
> another user with the name spelled "smith_2". Smith is
> one of the other users. How come the folder did not pick
> up on "jones", but put it under "smith_2". what did I do
> wrong.

You did nothing wrong.

The directory under C:\Documents and Settings for each of your users has its
name determined when the account was originally created. If you created the
user (for example) as "My First XP User", then it would, when that user
first logged in, create the directory: C:\Documents and Settings\My First XP
User\ and that would be the directory for that user unless you manually
edited a registry value. Even if you later go back and change "My First XP
User"'s name to "George", even though they log in as "George", their
directory is still C:\Documents and Settings\My First XP User\.

--
<- Shenan ->