Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Guild Wars vs. World of Warcraft

Last response: in Video Games
June 13, 2006 2:18:31 PM

I've been thinking of trying Online Gaming. I haven't played any multiuser online games since the text based Muds from about 12 years ago. Guild Wars and World of Warcraft seem to get alot of attention these days, and I was wondering if I could get some opinions of the 2 games from those of you who have played them both.

Thanks.
June 13, 2006 4:16:41 PM

I've played them both and they're both really good at what they do.
If you want pretty graphics and an emphasis on balancing your builds, go with Guild Wars. If you are okay with blocky cartoon graphics and love being able to spend hours playing a game then WOW is for you.
Really out of the two I was more interested in WOW. I play GW first for several months then tried out WOW. WOW just blew GW away, for me anyways. But WOW does have that pesky monthly fee I just can see myself paying, so I'm stuck with GW for now.
June 13, 2006 6:07:44 PM

Guild Wars was my first foray into the world of MMO gaming, and I really enjoyed the game. The lack of a monthly fee sold me initially, and the beauty of the game kept me coming back. My guild eventually decided to move to WoW, where I have been for the last 6 months. WoW is a much deeper game, with its professions and crafting abilities, not to mention larger world, but I pay rent for that privilege. I have been happy with WoW up to now, but my advice would be to start with GW - if you find you enjoy the MMO style of gaming, try a 10-day trial of WoW and then decide. One thing I truly missed was GW's ability to travel instantly to any unlocked town on the map - this made it very easy to gather up guildies for a run at a particular mission. With 2 continents and long flight times (which can be costly), this becomes considerably more difficult in WoW. Even though my guild has the same folks in it, I see less of them in WoW than I did in GW, and I miss the game interaction - chat just isn't the same as adventuring with a half-dozen buddies decked out in our snazzy guild capes...
Related resources
June 13, 2006 11:37:43 PM

guild wars no fee, wow has a fee

guild wars has less content then wow, but by no means an inferior game, i suggest u get factions if u buy guild wars and i also highly recommend it, i would only recommend wow if u hav a lot of time to play, since theres a monthly fee ud want to get the most out of it
June 14, 2006 3:05:58 AM

Yeah, Factions is probably even better to get than the original GW. It just feels more polished and gets you into the action quicker. Good game.
June 14, 2006 7:26:42 AM

Thanks for all your advice.

Cheers.
June 15, 2006 10:01:40 AM

Agreeing my fellow posters, go for Guild Wars over World of Warcraft. Especially if you love PvP. The PvP in WoW is next to pointless and nowhere near as fun as the PvP in GW.

Also the community in GW is a darn sight better then that of WoW.
June 21, 2006 12:13:50 PM

I got bored of GW quickly but at least I didn't pay £30 and then £15 per month for it...
December 21, 2006 2:11:25 PM

I would just like to say as someone who has played both quite alot due to being a fucking loner that I like WOW, the content was better and it is addicting as meth without the sideeffects. (not that i have ever done meth) BUT OK LETS BREAK THIS DOWN:

Wow:
Positives

Guilds
More Character Classes
2 sided
More quests
Bigger overall
Negatives
Montly Fees
And it Has not bad graphics

Guild Wars
Positives:[/u
Good Graphics
Game Play is OK
Guild Capes

Negatives
More PVP based (bad if you like quests)
You can only bring 8 skils with you when you go out hunting
Guild Capes can be really ugly.

So really just buy one play it then buy the other and play it and then make a choice like the rest of us did OR go on the www.warcraft.com site and download the free trial thats what got me started on it from a very havily playing guildwars fan.
December 21, 2006 2:45:52 PM

Talk about waking the dead...
December 21, 2006 6:27:38 PM

I have tried both. It is very intimidating the first time you look at WoW of a high level player, it looks like there is SO much on the screen. the reality is though, I only use some core skills most often, and all the rest are for intermittant/very infrequent use.

I hate the idea of pay-per-month, so I really tried to give GW a genuine chance. I stuck to it for over a month. I found that the quests felt extremely repetitive, with only 3 or 4 different types of quest scenarios most of the time. Then, when some guild mates tried to help me providing better gear etc, I found it very difficult to figure out what gear was better than others (the descriptions help little in determining which is "better"), especially since the differences between low level and high level gear is so slight. I also found I had to ask a million questions about everything, the game seemed rather difficult to learn even the basics. there was absolutely no "tutorial" basic early-game to bring you up to speed, where I felt WOW did a much better job of that (although could still do better).

In fairness, I have been playing blizzard games for years, so I may be too used to their style of gameplay. However, I do not really agree with others opinion of the graphics. I feel that most of GW is in really wide-open areas with a camera WAY overhead, very slow and repetitive combat, and little to look at. With WoW, I find myself taking screenshots when I find nice new vistas, waterfalls, etc.

pay-per-month is really lame. I hate it. I also hate the crazy travel time between some areas of the WOW world. It is not my favourite game I've ever played (in fact, I think I preferred WC3 and Diablo2), but I do enjoy running instances with friends and playing together. I think these games are going too far towards PVP for my taste, where I prefer teamwork and co-op play.
December 22, 2006 12:15:42 AM

Guild Wars > WoW. i have been playing guild wars since beta and it is amazing. the graphics are sooooooo much better than WoW. if you like having a decent eyesight then you should get into Guild Wars. our guild is recruiting if you want to join us... lol later :D 
January 2, 2007 3:12:40 PM

I really like Guild Wars. I find the story very interesting and the graphics are good. I especially like how easy the game is on the computer and network. I have friends who play on Dial-Up as well as some who play with integrated intel graphics or worse... and it still looks good!

I haven't played WoW, so I can't comment on that. The only other MMO I have played was FFXI and while a good game and I enjoyed playing it... the monthly fee drove me away. I refuse to pay a monthly fee as long as free games like Guild Wars exists.
January 2, 2007 4:12:04 PM

Quote:
I really like Guild Wars. I find the story very interesting and the graphics are good. I especially like how easy the game is on the computer and network. I have friends who play on Dial-Up as well as some who play with integrated intel graphics or worse... and it still looks good!

I haven't played WoW, so I can't comment on that. The only other MMO I have played was FFXI and while a good game and I enjoyed playing it... the monthly fee drove me away. I refuse to pay a monthly fee as long as free games like Guild Wars exists.

you do realize there are now two expansions out for GW, which cost around $50 Canadian each last time I looked, right? These were released in much less time than WoW's first expansion (not yet released). For a new player, to get the full GW game with expansions now costs around $150 canadian (with tax), and they plan a 6 month expansion rotation I believe? It may not have a monthly fee, and of course you have the option of not getting the expansions, but obviously you'd be missing out on content. I submit that it is virtually the same as pay-per-month due to the frequency of expansions, though $50/6months is a little more than half Wow's monthly fee so GW is still more affordable.
January 2, 2007 6:15:13 PM

I have both games and started on WoW, then went to GW. I hated GW aftger playing WoW. GW wars graphics are more realistic, but that does not make up for the gameplay. WoW graphics are more cartoony, but it still looks fantastic. Gameplay on WoW is fantastic and it has ruined me for just about every other game out there now. It was also my first foray into MMO's.

I recommend getting trial versions for each and trying them out for yourself. I am sure you will like WoW better (except for the monthly cost of course :x , but if you have the money it is worth it) Its not the no1 selling game for months for nothing.
January 2, 2007 6:47:15 PM

I agree with Rocket sauce on this one, WOW blew my mind the first time i played it. I now start to jones if i dont play for a couple of days. 8O
January 2, 2007 6:53:08 PM

Just a quick reply as im short of time:

WoW >>>>>>> Guild Wars

All the times i played GW I was spammed, shouted at, people tried to rip me off/scam me constantly, I just thought F*** this im not playing a game to be verbally abused all the time.

WoW was just sooo my friendlier (EU server Dragonblight) and the game just sem so much more playable, quests are really nice way of breaking you into the game..

Get a free trial account from the WoW homepage.....try it for 10 days for free.

Trust me, u will love it.
January 3, 2007 12:39:31 PM

Quote:

you do realize there are now two expansions out for GW, which cost around $50 Canadian each last time I looked, right? These were released in much less time than WoW's first expansion (not yet released). For a new player, to get the full GW game with expansions now costs around $150 canadian (with tax), and they plan a 6 month expansion rotation I believe? It may not have a monthly fee, and of course you have the option of not getting the expansions, but obviously you'd be missing out on content. I submit that it is virtually the same as pay-per-month due to the frequency of expansions, though $50/6months is a little more than half Wow's monthly fee so GW is still more affordable.

You do realize that those aren't expansions but full games? They can be played in any order. I recommend getting them all at once because they do tie together well if you play them in order. Also, I got the original for $35 from EBgames, Factions for $34, and Nightfall on sale for $25. Thats $94 for more the 300+ hours of game play with no $15/month fee :-)!
January 4, 2007 1:03:22 PM

I've only tried WOW for awhile but I didn't want to pay any monthly fees:

However, I've played Guild Wars and here are the PROS and CONS of Guild Wars:

PRO:
Skill sets are balanced for each class combo
Great team PVP matches
Excellent graphics. Don't need an ultra-powerful card to run the game at high graphics settings (I had a Geforce 6200 AGP 256MB back then)
Most items do not cost alot
No monthly fee
Max armor/weapons items are easily obtained
Certain Max rare items easily obtainable (green items)
"Expansion" games can be bought/used as standalone or merged to an existing account.
You can play "single" player with henchmen or join/form a group.
Very challenging missions at high level

CONS:
Rare items sold by players to merchants can't be bought back by anyone.
Level cap is 20 (could be PRO)
People in towns selling rare items at overinflated prices
Character's mouths don't move in cutscenes.
Henchmen sometimes do stupid stuff.
January 4, 2007 1:40:59 PM

Quote:

True.

Quote:

They changed that a while back, still aint as great as other games, but Ok for a CORPG.

I played WoW for the first 2 weeks and was unimpressed, ive played many hours of warcraft, starcraft, diablo games, and wow was just bleh, but ive been playing GW for just over a year now, and its been fun.

Try both games first.
January 4, 2007 5:58:08 PM

Quote:

True.

Quote:

They changed that a while back, still aint as great as other games, but Ok for a CORPG.

Maybe in the newer ones, but not prophecies. The mouths still don't move and it is really annoying.

I agree with most of the pros and cons listed earlier. Pretty much on par. I haven't decided if I like the level cap or not. Makes the game based more on skill as opposed to hours played, but leveling up is fun in its on right.
January 4, 2007 6:10:16 PM

I found the learning curve was far too extreme with GW. there were SO MANY skills to choose from, I had no idea what to do. I tried a few different choices, but with very limited success, and always did extremely poorly in PVP.

I tried to research the skills and options on some websites, but it seemed like there were so many different approaches nobody had taken the time to write anything specific that worked for them. When the weapons had such small differences between them regarding damage, benefits, etc even gear selection was very difficult.

I felt WOW was a lot easier to pick up and understand what was going on. Although it takes longer to become top level, it is fairly easy to understand what skills you can develop and pick some useful things to work together. The screen looks a lot more cluttered, but the controls feel familiar and easy to pick up.
January 4, 2007 7:29:23 PM

i played GW for a good while (because it was free monthly) but then come to realize that with all their expansions they come out with that its not really free (if you want the full content of the game). I found myself constantly bored (max lvl 20) and there was just no variety since everyone has the same weapons and armor levels (has this changed? can one person have a more powerful weapon than another? or is it just maxed at a certain dps still)

so i went to WoW and payed my 15$ a month and havent looked back. there is always something to do with my time, and i actually find i dont have enough time to play. there just hasn't been any times where i find myself bored with the game, and i've played it for more than a year and a half now.

and it will also be even better because the expansion is coming out on Jan 16th.

and for whoever said the pvp sucks in WoW.. please pvp more. i actually have pvp'd the whole time ive played and have raided hardly none (which gives me even more to do if i wanted to) but the pvp is just to much fun. one of the most balanced games with class's ive played (one class cant beat every other class in the game). some class's are gear dependent on how good they do.. but that gives plenty of variety to chose from and doesnt limit you to a max armor and weapon level.

with GW i got so tired of the limited ability to use skills (choose the 8 BEFORE you go into a match) that just sucked.. certain characters just could not beat others.. i dont think that is balanced at all.

but if all that has changed.. please post. these was my biggest turn offs.
January 6, 2007 1:27:24 PM

IMO play GW first, then WoW. The other way around and you'll be hooked on WoW :cry:  The lack of expansions doesn't mean a lack of content. Blizz updates bugs about every two months, and since release added 5 new dungeons(three 40man, two 20 man, and three PvP battlegrounds). It's worth the 15 USD per month if you like to play it.
January 6, 2007 7:21:46 PM

Quote:
then come to realize that with all their expansions they come out with that its not really free (if you want the full content of the game).

While I agreed with some of the things you said.... this cracked me up. I ended up paying about $84 dollars for all three Guild Wars.

WoW = $20
WoW Expansion = $40

Thats $60 for WoW and $84 for GW.... $24 difference... that means I can play GW forever for $84, but can only play WoW for 1.5 months for $84
January 7, 2007 2:53:29 AM

Quote:
then come to realize that with all their expansions they come out with that its not really free (if you want the full content of the game).

While I agreed with some of the things you said.... this cracked me up. I ended up paying about $84 dollars for all three Guild Wars.

WoW = $20
WoW Expansion = $40

Thats $60 for WoW and $84 for GW.... $24 difference... that means I can play GW forever for $84, but can only play WoW for 1.5 months for $84

Can't really break it down like that, because WoW gets updated fairly regularly, with new dungeons coming out semi-annually.
January 7, 2007 11:56:41 AM

Quote:

WoW = $20
WoW Expansion = $40

Can't really break it down like that, because WoW gets updated fairly regularly, with new dungeons coming out semi-annually.

Guild Wars also gets updated with new quests and seasonal activities quite regularly as well....
January 7, 2007 1:44:54 PM

Quote:

WoW = $20
WoW Expansion = $40

Guild Wars also gets updated with new quests and seasonal activities quite regularly as well....

WoW dosen't have those pesky timer messages "You have been logged in for 3 hours, we recommend that you take a break" 8) :lol: 
January 8, 2007 2:59:33 AM

hahahahahahahahahahaha :D 
January 8, 2007 8:00:22 PM

Quote:

WoW = $20
WoW Expansion = $40

wow's content has lasted 2 years, with updates and new dungeons along the way. only now is the expansion coming out.

guild wars content lasted me 2 weeks.. that was it. then all you have is pvp.

lets not get the price situation mixed up with the actual content you get for it. bottom line.. you get what you pay for.
January 8, 2007 8:00:44 PM

Quote:

WoW = $20
WoW Expansion = $40

wow's content has lasted 2 years, with updates and new dungeons along the way. only now is the expansion coming out.

guild wars content lasted me 2 weeks.. that was it. then all you have is pvp.

lets not get the price situation mixed up with the actual content you get for it. bottem line.. you get what you pay for.
January 9, 2007 1:35:29 AM

Thats $360 for two years... wow, that gets expensive. I have been playing prophecies for 4 months now.... lots more the 2 weeks just on one of them. If you do all the quests and everything... it takes a good while. Of course, I don't devote my whole to one game at time either. Still yet, I have quite a few hours in GW and can stop playing at any point and pick it back up later without the worry of monthly fees.....
January 9, 2007 8:38:40 AM

Did I just hear the word ‘contend’ and World of Warcraft being used in the same sentence in a positive way? You mean your saying that it’s a good thing that you have to spend 2 hours picking up 20 sticks of magic by killing about 100 night stalker whatever’s. Every goddamn quest is the same in that game, if it’s not killing 15 of this or 20 of that then it’s picking up 10 of this or 15 of that. The only change on those types of quest is that some times you have to find and talk to or kill some very hard to find person or go through one of the very samey dungeons.

Only one phrase comes to mind when talking about the, and lets be frank here, crap content in World of Warcraft and that is “quantity over quality”. It’s a good place to waste some spare hours but not a very interesting one.
January 9, 2007 8:56:54 AM

Quote:
Did I just hear the word ‘contend’ and World of Warcraft being used in the same sentence in a positive way? You mean your saying that it’s a good thing that you have to spend 2 hours picking up 20 sticks of magic by killing about 100 night stalker whatever’s. Every goddamn quest is the same in that game, if it’s not killing 15 of this or 20 of that then it’s picking up 10 of this or 15 of that. The only change on those types of quest is that some times you have to find and talk to or kill some very hard to find person or go through one of the very samey dungeons.

Only one phrase comes to mind when talking about the, and lets be frank here, crap content in World of Warcraft and that is “quantity over quality”. It’s a good place to waste some spare hours but not a very interesting one.

You must have played the 10 day free trial? :?
January 9, 2007 10:35:11 AM

I hope you're not saying the quests are better in Guild Wars? I found it to be annoyingly repetitive, NEVER visually interesting, and frequently very difficult to find the objectives on a map. I hated the cutscenes. In-game cutscenes looked cheesy, are boring to watch, and never got me excited/interested in the story.

co-operative pve play is boring and tedious, and I rarely felt like I had a great time with a team working hard together. The combat was SOOO boring, but that might have been even worse because I chose a rogue as my first character and all I seemed to be able to accomplish was firing arrows.

I also found the system for learning new skills (finding particular trainers hiding all over the place to get particular skills), to be insanely annoying. The best skills are all given by people hidden away somewhere way off the beaten path (in places I could not find without help), or had to actually be stolen of monsters?? So, the concept is to only give those high end skills to experienced players who already know where to go and what to do? that sure makes for some fair PVP for newcomers.

GW = a quick 20 levels of character building, followed by endless PVP.

WoW = a LOT more character building, MUCH easier to understand gear stats, and often visually interesting instances (giant stone statue bosses, huge dragons, castles with narrow halls and interesting lighting, etc).

I love PVE instancing and co-op play. Maybe that's why I prefer WoW so much. I don't feel the need to prove myself to anyone, but would rather help others and have a good time. PVP seems to be full of disrespectful people with poor sportsmanship (spitting on killed victims, laughing at them, etc). That is not to say ALL PVPers are like that, but I have come accross many (in both games) who are arrogant and self-important.
January 9, 2007 11:39:50 AM

Quote:
I hope you're not saying the quests are better in Guild Wars? I found it to be annoyingly repetitive, NEVER visually interesting, and frequently very difficult to find the objectives on a map. I hated the cutscenes. In-game cutscenes looked cheesy, are boring to watch, and never got me excited/interested in the story.

co-operative pve play is boring and tedious, and I rarely felt like I had a great time with a team working hard together. The combat was SOOO boring, but that might have been even worse because I chose a rogue as my first character and all I seemed to be able to accomplish was firing arrows.

Ok I think you probably mean ranger. There wasn't a rogue in the game.

Quote:

I also found the system for learning new skills (finding particular trainers hiding all over the place to get particular skills), to be insanely annoying. The best skills are all given by people hidden away somewhere way off the beaten path (in places I could not find without help), or had to actually be stolen of monsters?? So, the concept is to only give those high end skills to experienced players who already know where to go and what to do? that sure makes for some fair PVP for newcomers.

The trainers were in the towns. How can you not find them? Also, PvP only characters can actually buy skills with faction points.

Quote:

WoW = a LOT more character building, MUCH easier to understand gear stats, and often visually interesting instances (giant stone statue bosses, huge dragons, castles with narrow halls and interesting lighting, etc).

How hard is to understand health +20 or +1 ability for GW gear? can you give an example?

Quote:

I love PVE instancing and co-op play. Maybe that's why I prefer WoW so much. I don't feel the need to prove myself to anyone, but would rather help others and have a good time. PVP seems to be full of disrespectful people with poor sportsmanship (spitting on killed victims, laughing at them, etc). That is not to say ALL PVPers are like that, but I have come accross many (in both games) who are arrogant and self-important.

Yes, its all about preferences. If you like PVP, then GW is your game. If you like constant farming and constant leveling, then WoW is your game.
January 9, 2007 1:05:29 PM

I have a level 40 on one server and a few level 20’s… as has been said WOW is nothing more than a place for farming and constant levelling… Not much else to do in that game apart from chat and sell stuff you have found.
January 9, 2007 1:29:56 PM

Quote:
I have a level 40 on one server and a few level 20’s… as has been said WOW is nothing more than a place for farming and constant levelling… Not much else to do in that game apart from chat and sell stuff you have found.

well, we can see you just dont like WoW, which makes things you say about WoW uninteresting and bias. I've had about 6 people that has never played the game and they are hooked. ive even tried to get 1 of them to powerlvl up to 60 so he can get in on the stuff i do.. he simply wont do it. he is to interested in the game and has to many quest to do along the way.

haha.. "nothing but farming and constant lvling"

good stuff. please stop posting simple minded flames. add a little more "content" to your post
January 9, 2007 1:37:42 PM

it is easy to level up slower, work on your professions, interact with others, etc. I agree there are a number of other things to do anyways.

personally, since I bought the game a few months ago I have been doing almost nothing but levelling, and I'm 56 now. I am very interested in trying raids, large instances, etc. that's why I am doing the push, but I have totally ignored things like professions etc. I have not developed them at ALL.
January 9, 2007 2:03:54 PM

I have a level 40 char, and a load more at other levels. I played this game once a year ago for what Xfire said was over 250 hours and started playing again to see what the updates did for the game. If I cant give an unbiased opinion then who can. Spent too many hours playing this game and when I stepped back and looked at what I had done all this time it was constant farming and levelling.

The quests are very uninteresting as a whole with the most interesting happening once every 10 levels for your class upgrades. I was a warlock on my level 40 and to get a new minion I had to get a quest then run all the way to the other continent, which taken about 1 hour to get to. Then once there I had to talk to a guy then kill 20 demons then talk to him again. Then After I had done all that I had to run back to my homeland to complete the quest… That was one of the most interesting quests I had experienced!

You say I dislike it, well I do. The game is boring and repetitive to the extreme. But that fact does not make me bias for any reason. I have tried it and played it for hundreds of hours and still dislike it. I am what can be called a hard core gamer and have been gaming for about 15 years, my first games had 2 colours (Green and Black)! And I will say placing all my knowledge of gaming on this. If you class World of Warcraft as a game with out any online involvement from other players it would not stand up to even the most tedious of games.

[EDIT]

Picking up on what torque79 said, that is one thing I did not do. Instead of levelling up quickly missing everything, I infact went and done all the quests and worked on all my skills. Done all the dungeons and went to every area I could. Should I have not had the more fun experience? If that is so why did the game when I sat back and reflected let me down so much?
January 9, 2007 2:53:02 PM

I have a warlock as well as a rogue and priest, all level 60 though. Most of the good stuff comes 50+. It takes 10 days played to get to 60 for me, and while i'm dong it, enjoying the company of my guild in chat or on ventrilo. The only real time its a grind is when i'm preparing for raids(with my priest), then it's time to try to beat one of the 6 challenging endgame instances in the game. Plenty of PvE content, and if I want PvP, there's no more waiting with the cross-server battlegrounds, and no more having to grind to High warlord or Grandmarshall for all the goodies. Content? Plenty, with a storyline that has a rich history. But It's a matter of opinion, and imho WoW>GW :) 
January 9, 2007 3:10:23 PM

So your saying for me to enjoy this game I have to play for ten days strait literally grinding away killing hundreds of thousands of lifeless enemy’s just to enjoy this game after I have done this, completely dull sounding task?
January 9, 2007 3:50:10 PM

in this area I agree with you. WoW seems to have dropped the ball in game design for making equal quality gameplay at lower character levels.

I have enjoyed Blizzard games for years. As a somewhat similar type of game, I felt Diablo 2 did a MUCH better job of having areas full of people playing together at every character level, so even though it was grind same spot for a few levels, then go through the world (quickly if someone was running you) and grind another spot for a few levels, rinse and repeat, you NEVER had to play alone if you did not want to.

Wow is a mega solo-fest if you want to powerlevel, I play this game almost exclusively alone so far. I FAR prefer playing instances etc, but I can see that I will not be able to easily find groups for that kind of thing unless I move up to a high level where lots of people are always doing that. This makes wow LESS of a multiplayer game in my opinion than D2. I am not referring to socializing and chatting etc, but actually PLAYING together. A perfect example is that I have RL friends who play this game, who were the whole reason I started. I have YET to play with ANY of them, because htey are all lvl 60, after 3 months! In my opinion that is a symptom of a broken game alone.

the concept of MMORPG is broken to me. if you're supposed to be in a massive online environment where the idea is to play with OTHER PEOPLE, why are we all on seperate servers who can only play together in PVP? why not have inter-server instance queues as well? I think that would be a LOT more fun, but the game's not designed for that to be possible.

I guess I've blabbed on enough. hope this shows that I'm not totally brainwashed, but that I see this as a game design flaw, rather than a horrible game concept.
January 10, 2007 2:33:38 AM

Quote:
So your saying for me to enjoy this game I have to play for ten days strait literally grinding away killing hundreds of thousands of lifeless enemy’s just to enjoy this game after I have done this, completely dull sounding task?

No, mob grinding takes 5-6 days play time. Instance, questing takes a leisurely 10 days play time. I must say if you're new, or don't know what you are doing, it might take much longer. You said you reached 40 at 250hrs played...warlocks get good around 40, but you don't really play the class until 60.
January 10, 2007 7:46:59 AM

Just out of interest is that 10 days if you have a life and a job or 10 days if you have no life out side the PC and are on the dole?
January 10, 2007 8:56:45 AM

Quote:
Just out of interest is that 10 days if you have a life and a job or 10 days if you have no life out side the PC and are on the dole?

Ten days physically sitting, playing the game. How much time you actually have to play depends on you. I have a job. :wink:
January 10, 2007 10:59:47 AM

So in that case it would take me 6 months to get to level 60… that’s a long time to be brainlessly grinding :?
January 10, 2007 11:43:40 AM

Quote:
So in that case it would take me 6 months to get to level 60… that’s a long time to be brainlessly grinding :?

Lawl, then play GW :cry:  , sounds like WoW is not your cup of tea. 8)
January 10, 2007 8:18:39 PM

Quote:

in 10 days you can be 60

i have a 40 hour a week job and got my tune to 60 in a matter of a month and a half. and that is being revered with stormwind (which means i did almost every quest availible.

one of my friends had his character powerlvl'd from 1 to 60 and he got his account back in 13 days. and all those guys do is just play and grind without doing any quest or anything special.

but at least this time in one of your above post.. you actually put what you didnt like about the game. all these "opinions" about the game is crap with no support is getting old.

but here is another question, are you playing on a PvE server? or a PvP server. these 2 types are completely different.

if you are on a PvE server.. give up.. yes.. the game should get old (for a hardcore gamer)

i tried a pve server to 60.. it was literally mindless easy. hit attack and watch tv

on a PvP server.. your ass is dead when you quit focusing on the game, because you are constantly able to be attacked by the different faction. this brings out your skills.

and with the people ive talked to, most of them that dont like the challenge of the game will play on a PvE server. this is not an opinion. because none of them will come to the pvp server for the same reason. "i dont like getting ganked and being attacked while im fighting a mob". these are not hardcore gamers. (that is an opinion, but a realistic one)
January 11, 2007 8:21:12 AM

That’s the thing, I am playing on a PVP type server. And the only aspect of PVP I have seen so far because I am level 40 is either big raids against towns or some level 60 killing low levelled people or as you said, killing you when your in the middle of killing a non player character.

Yes I have had little battles here and there and sometimes they are a little fun but when you compare a PVP game to anything else you would play like Counter Strike or Tribes/Battle Field or something like that, it is just a really drab experience in comparison.

So when I try to think of the good parts of the game, all that there has been is playing with other people in a guild or having a laugh with like-minded people. I can do all that in chat rooms or any other type of game and it would be a lot more interesting. So what kept me playing for the 250 hours… well it was the levelling system, I wanted to actually make something of this investment in time. But it simply taken too long and became too tedious, so I quit. Could they have made this game a little too slow for someone who likes to get a little substance out of playing a game rather than just rushing through to get to the end?

So what keeps others playing this game? Is it because they are addicted to it, or is it just that my idea of fun is just something more than the tedium found in World of Warcraft. I mean for £8.99 a month and the up front investment of £35 I was kind of expecting a little more fun to be had.

And please just because my opinion on World of Warcraft is a negative one, it does not make it any less realistic.
!