The Best Games Never Published: A Visit to the Video Game Development Hell

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
It's a sad fact of life in the video game industry that many titles never see the light of day - even those games that are essentially finished and ready to launch. TwitchGuru takes a look at some of the best games never published and explores the depth of development hell.

mpjesse

Splendid
Good article, even if it was a bit short. There was a couple games I never even knew were in development (Star Fox 2 for example).

Another elusive title that you could have thrown in: S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl.

sepheronx

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2006
Yeah, Stalker is just another Duke Nukem Forever. It was supposed to be released like when? 3 years ago? I hope it does actualy get released.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Good call on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. That was a contender for the list, which in retrospect should have been longer than five games. There were a lot of titles that I never knew were even being developed, like a game version of "Hannibal." Mmmmmm...tasty.....

Some other suggestions from folks:
Ultima Online
Star Trek: Vulcan Fury
Team Fortress 2
Multiplayer BattleTech: 3025

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
Here's one that ticked me off. Sierra's Babylon 5 game. Yes the TV show had horrific acting, but the storyline was great as were the special effects. I'm part of a dying breed that loves space combat sims. Tie-Fighter, Wing Commander, in that order. I even have a retail-shrink wrapped copy of the original X-wing which is worth absolutely nothing. So as you can tell, I love space combat sims and couldn't wait for this game. The inertial control system looked like a much needed (and overlooked) aspect of space combat sims.

Then Sierra canceled it.

Fortunately you can download a similiar title called I Found Her. It's fun, and features that spiffy inertial control system. It's also tough to fly.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Another 2 for the list:

Starcraft: Ghost
Lamborghini (XBOX/PS2)

A demo was made available for Lamborghini but then the developer (Rage) went under, which sucks. I was really looking forward to it.

Aaron McKenna

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah, Stalker is just another Duke Nukem Forever. It was supposed to be released like when? 3 years ago? I hope it does actualy get released.
Six months ago... in the grand scheme of delays it's not all that bad. At least they're still showing us new stuff.

Whitman

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
Elite 4 anyone? I loved Elite for C64, and have been waiting SO long for the ne'er to come Elite 4 for contemporary computers. Boy, how I miss trying to match my rotation to that of the space station to the sound of 'An der Schönen Blauen Donau'.

cdpage

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2001
you can count me on the list for those who would have picked up Sim Mars

As for Nintendo Wii Download releases...I might pay for some of the NES+SNES games—3rd parties and non North American releases only tho. I can pick up anything else for $1-$10 (CAN) at my local flee market. NES and SNES alike.

Personally its the first system i have ever concidered rushing out and buying. Now that they are charging for ALL downloadable games... i think i'll wait it out and see what happens.

bourgeoisdude

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2005
It's a quote, from a movie.

A horrible, horrible movie.

I wouldn't call it horrible. I enjoyed it, although I was a nintendo freak too. I found it amusing that the sounds on some of the games were mixed up--TMNT had the sound for killing an enemy switched for the sound when you get hurt, just to name one of them :)

exarrkun

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
starcraft ghost isn't coming out???
nooooooooooooooo!!!!! you can't be serious, i loved that game (still do) and was so looking for the sequel... :(

anybody have news from the release date from "PREY" ?

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
Yeah it is.

Here's a clip for those that don't know what we're talking about.

Arrgh make it stop MAKE IT STOP! His mullet is blinding me! Bad means good! He is totally radical!

Help me! The retroness is trying to take over my body! Musn't...buy...Hypercolour...t-shirt.
Phew.

P.S. exarrkun, I believe PREY is slated for a September release. Starcraft ghost was "indefinitely delayed".

brainysmurf

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2006
Fallout 3.
I've been waiting many years for a third installment of the Fallout series.
Last I heard, Fallout 3 was supposed to be under development by Bethesda using the same engine as Oblivion. But I haven't heard anything recently about that.
The first Fallout was classic. If you've never played it, the concept was that your character was one of a few survivors in a fallout shelter. You are tasked with leaving "The Vault" in search of a replacement water chip for the vault's water purification system. This entails a search of the nuked out wasteland of the former United States of America, while defending yourself against giant irradiated scorpions, alien critters and the mutated remants of humanity.
Fallout 2 was buggy but still a great deal of fun.
I'm not sure how well the Fallout franchise would translate to the first-person format of the Elder Scrolls Series (Fallout 1 and 2 were both third-person and combat was turn-based) but I'd still like to give it a try.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Fallout 3.
I've been waiting many years for a third installment of the Fallout series.
Last I heard, Fallout 3 was supposed to be under development by Bethesda using the same engine as Oblivion. But I haven't heard anything recently about that.

That actually could be a bad thing. I heard that Obsidian (Former Black Isle crew) was also trying to get it . Would have been much better IMHO.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
starcraft ghost isn't coming out???
nooooooooooooooo!!!!! you can't be serious, i loved that game (still do) and was so looking for the sequel... :(

Actually Starcraft Ghost is not a sequel to startcraft. Blizzard hasn’t even announced that!