SassKwatch

Distinguished
May 2, 2002
Am thinking of building a new system. And though I've worked internally in a box before (installing RAM, hd's, cd burners, etc), this would be a new adventure for me.

As things stand now, I have a HD from an older system that's already formatted with W98SE and would like to just 'plug and pray' that HD into the new system.

Am I likely to run into any significant hurdles in doing that?

Thanks!

-=Sass=-

AndrewT

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2001
Depends, it's always a good idea to format or remove old drivers before installing drive on a mobo with a different chipset. I prefer format, not a big fan of leftover files. Not even sure that even with the same chipset it will be okay/stable, unless you didn't install anything other than the OS on the drive.

<font color=red>Got a silent setup, now I can hear myself thinking. hmm still silence</font color=red>

Xaos

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
Hot swapping a Win98 Hard drive onto a new system?? Yikes!

Start fresh. Trust me.

Give me Convenience or Give me Death!

Oilybohunk

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2001
Ditto to all of the above. Start clean now, or format out of pure frustration in a couple of weeks.

JCC

<font color=purple> I doubt, therefore I might be </font color=purple>

Ratch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your main concern is that, this is the first time you've built a system. leaving the 'old' OS will expand the problems you have to eliminate, if the build doesn't work correctly.

Format the drive, only install the minimal parts to get the system up and running (without problems), and then add the rest of the parts one at a time and configure them. This way if you hit a problem, you'll know what caused it.