Sign in with
Your question
Closed

XP 64 Bit for Games

Last response: in Video Games
June 13, 2006 7:34:58 PM

Any good? Anyone tired it? With what games? Any quicker? Any Slower?! Any info much appreciated... :D 

More about : bit games

June 14, 2006 12:17:49 AM

There are only a handfull of 64-bit games available. On XP with 64-bit the existing 32-bit games mostly run fine. In my opinion the 32-bit games actually run a bit faster on the 64-bit system. This has been my experience and just a comment for now.
June 21, 2006 2:57:47 PM

I run x64 on my gaming machine, see sig below... The few games that are 64-bit, IMO, are worth it if you have Windows x64 edition already. Spending $140 on the operating system for the 64-bit games that I play is kind of weird. Others have said they actually lose performance running 32-bit games in x64 but I, like Dafaad, get actually slightly better performance out of my system using this operating system.

The two 64-bit games I play are Far Cry 64 and Half-Life 2 64 edition. Half Life 2 will automatically detect the x64 OS and download what it needs to run in 64-bit mode. Lost Coast, the HDR tech demo level, gained about 10-15 FPS when it activated the 64-bit mode, which is, as far as I can tell, comes on automatically and you cant turn it off.

Far Cry 64... where to begin with this... with out touching the settings between the 64 and 32 bit editions, I gained an average of 20 FPS. I was then able to crank up Far Cry's settings to Ultra High Water and Very High on other settings, 4xAA and 2xAF all on at 1980x1600 resolution on my Dell 24" monitor. I still get about 50 FPS, 35-40 on the volcanic levels where there is the heat shimmer. It's beautiful to see...

I have always liked Far Cry's game engine, especially when zooming in using the Sniper or Binocs, in the 64-bit edition, it lets you zoom in even more. Example, on the 2nd level, where you start off on the inflatable boat, you can stand on the furthest out island and zoom in enough on the fortress at the top of the hill that you can see every little detail of individual NPCs, its KILLER to see. The texture increases they did is not that major, that is just a texture replacement, as far as I can tell, its just something they threw in for further insentive to use the 64-bit edition. I just hope that when Crysis comes out, there will be a 64-bit edition of that too...
Related resources
June 21, 2006 8:02:07 PM

Brilliant, that's what I wanted to hear. I've bought the OS and am just waiting for conroe compatible boards to become available (I'm starting with a Pentium 805 - just until conroe prices drop enough to buy a decent one). I have Half Life 2 and Far Cry (I wasn't aware of 64bit far cry either so thats brill!). Whatever platform you run Crysis on I think it's going to blow everything out of the water. It looks stunning.
June 21, 2006 8:46:56 PM

The 64-Bit version of Far Cry has actually been out for a year or so, it was out when x64 windows was still in beta... Click here for link to AMD's website to download the files needed for Far Cry 64. You will want to patch up Far Cry to v1.3 atleast and download both the AMD64 Exclusive Content for Far Cry and AMD64 Upgrade for Far Cry, on the bar on the right. They are large files and you need both. You will install the Upgrade file first then the ECU (Exclusive Content Update).

According to AMD, you have to have an AMD64 processor but I bet any 64-bit will work because Intel Pentiums that are 64-bit uses the same instruction set, I believe.
June 21, 2006 10:08:46 PM

Cheers for that. I'll certainly give it a go when I've got it all installed.
June 26, 2006 1:35:23 PM

I also played HL2 and Far Cry 64-bit and was impressed with Far Cry. The problem with XP x64 is its lack of support. I think it came out the wrong time because of Vista 32/64 bits os.

Most companies are not even making drivers for certain things. Try and find wireless 64-bit drivers.

I actually went back to 32-bit so I can have my scanner, vision:m, and etc back on my main workstation.

I will not return to 64-bit until Vista, because companies will have to respond to updating drivers with Vista.
June 26, 2006 7:02:53 PM

Yeh, a few people have mentioned the lack of support. I use Maya for work and believe that Auto Desk are currently doing a 64bit version, which will solve quite a few render issues, namely with the lack of RAM on 32bit systems. I've got myself a 64bit version of Vista Beta too, so I'm going to make the jump early and start using it along side WinXP64. I'm kinda hoping they'll offer an upgrade path when it's finaly released?
June 26, 2006 7:52:45 PM

From what i can tell, Windows Vista 64-bit will be able to upgrade from Windows XP x64 edition only. 32-bits cant upgrade to 64-bits and vise versa.
June 26, 2006 7:54:08 PM

you never know with Microsoft. Don't forget you couldn't upgrade from Windows 2000 Server to Windows 2000 advance server which is complete crap.
June 30, 2006 1:10:01 AM

Quote:
From what i can tell, Windows Vista 64-bit will be able to upgrade from Windows XP x64 edition only. 32-bits cant upgrade to 64-bits and vise versa.

Damn if that is true, it is really bad, i want a 64bit OS, not a 32bit Vista OS, does that mean i have to pay X amount for WinXP64 then pay another 400 or what ever it is for Vista64? lol holy crap,
June 30, 2006 4:34:51 AM

Quote:

Damn if that is true, it is really bad, i want a 64bit OS, not a 32bit Vista OS, does that mean i have to pay X amount for WinXP64 then pay another 400 or what ever it is for Vista64? lol holy crap,

No, you can upgrade if you already HAVE Windows XP x64, otherwise, you are in for a fresh install. From my understanding, no 32-bit OS can upgrade to 64-bit which is completely understandable as you cant use the 32-bit drivers on 64-bit windows. If they made it able to upgrade from a 32-bit OS, it would benifit them, yes, but I dont see it being possible. Look at the other major 64-bit OS, Linux, as far as I am aware, you cant upgrade a 32 linux to 64 linux, the entire OS is different so even if you could, you are just ADDing to it, not really upgrading anything.
July 4, 2006 9:58:29 AM

I tried a bunch of games on my Windows XP Professional x64 and didn't find any real improvements. Most games are still only 32-bit, which do run on the x64 but with no x64 improvements. I also experienced no improvement in gameplay playing 64-bit games. If you are looking to buy Win XP Home/Pro x64, I would recommend going for the x86 (32-bit version). I learnt the hard way and bought the x64, gave it a real go for 6 months than bought the x86 version. I have both in dual boot now.
July 4, 2006 12:40:50 PM

Before anyone goes out and buys this, Microsoft has a 64-Bit version of XP available as a 3 month trial from their site. I downloaded it and really liked it.
:wink:
July 5, 2006 3:33:22 PM

I tried winxp x64, at first i thought i finally could take the advantage out of my 64-bit cpu. And like others said, games felt better under x64. But the disadvantages where driver support. I couldnt install my mx510 mouse, the drivers of my SB Live! where poor (they only had beta drivers). And i had to register within 30 days and my crack didnt work :lol:  . So i stepped back to the x32 version of windows :) 
July 5, 2006 3:41:46 PM

Quote:
I couldnt install my mx510 mouse, the drivers of my SB Live! where poor (they only had beta drivers).

You are talking about a Logitech MX510, right? If it uses Logitech's SetPoint software, they have a non-beta version of it. I use the Logitech G15 Keyboard and G7 Mouse, both work great. Click Here for a link to the 64-bit SetPoint software. It works great and have had no problems with it.

I use the Creative X-Fi sound card and yea, they only have beta x64 drivers but I have never had a problem with them.

But, this is all kind of a mute point since you already switched back to 32-bit windows ;) 
July 5, 2006 3:45:14 PM

yeah the logitech mx510. It uses that older driver version (dont know the name of it). Wich they dont make anymore :cry:  .

And the beta drivers of my sound card worked under x64 but the sound reached the front speakers earlier then the rear speakers (so it sounded), wich created an ego. In some games it helped to disable EAX but not all. So i just switched back to win-x32
July 5, 2006 3:48:25 PM

It is just not worth the hassel going with XP x64. I was running it back in beta and tried to keep it but driver support completely sucks if you have a few usb devices.

And since Vista is the main focus now, no one is going to bother making drivers for x64. Try finding the right wireless device and driver for x64.

There are hacks and work arounds but it is not worth it yet. Far Cry did have some advantages but waiting for Vista 64 will be a better choice in my opinion.
July 29, 2008 2:53:05 PM

can amy one help me i run 64 bit and 32 bit but i play COD 4in 64 bit i got company of heroes i want to play it in 64 cuz my 32 bit is really slow can any one help thank you
July 31, 2008 4:35:41 PM

I briefly experimented with XP64 when I upgraded from my old single-core Athlon64 to a Q9450. I was playing Gothic 3 at the time. After the upgrade, the game actually ran SLOWER. I tried again with regular old XP, and things were flying with all the settings cranked up.

Maybe newer games work better in 64-bit, but Gothic 3 isn't that old...
July 31, 2008 8:09:31 PM

I have XP64 on one of my computers and I have liked it a lot. Games run fine, as does everything else. One thing that I think has helped a lot is Vista 64. Drivers were a problem in the past, but with the entrance of Vista 64, the various companies started making 64 bit drivers and the few troubles that I had with XP64 went away. In fact, when comparing my XP64 computer with my Vista 64 computer, I think the XP64 computer is faster and easier to use. The only remaining problem, one that will probably never be solved, is that XP64 will not run DX10. Then again, how many games require and fully use DX10?
!