I just bought a new pc with XP on it and it won't let me
open any of my disks created on my old 2000 pc. Why, and
how do I solve this? All my work (4 years worth) is on
my disks. I've had to start over once before and I don't
think I could do it again. Last time it was only 7
months of work lost. This time it could be a career
killer.

Mike

Splendid

What program did you use to save the files (e.g., Word,
Excel) and is it installed on the new PC?

Mike

I used word and my XP has wordprocessor, does that make a
difference as all tge work is .txt and .doc format?

What type of disks? Floppy, CD, ???
Did you use any special software to create the disks?
What program (s) did you use to create the data on those disks?
Are you using the same program (s) to open the files that you used to create
them?

steve

"Jule" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just bought a new pc with XP on it and it won't let me
> open any of my disks created on my old 2000 pc. Why, and
> how do I solve this? All my work (4 years worth) is on
> my disks. I've had to start over once before and I don't
> think I could do it again. Last time it was only 7
> months of work lost. This time it could be a career
> killer.

Mike

Splendid

You need to load the same apps onto XP as were used to generate your
documents originally..

> I used word and my XP has wordprocessor, does that make a
> difference as all tge work is .txt and .doc format?

You need to install Word on the new machine.

<anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5c4801c42d78$742c1cf0$a101280a@phx.gbl...
> I used word and my XP has wordprocessor, does that make a
> difference as all tge work is .txt and .doc format?

Floppy; Win2000 Office Pro Word. Now using XP MSWorks
Wordprocessor

Works is not Office. Works can not open Office files. Microsoft does,
however have "Viewers" that you can download so that you can see the
contents of your Word, PowerPoint, and Excel files.

steve