Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Xbox 360

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters

El_Cangri

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Well let's start with the Microsoft Xbox 360:

Some people don't like the way it looks but I don't care I only care for the hardware.

The 360 uses a next generation card from Ati from a new R600 family with DX10 and DX 9 this GPU is named Xenos and it has 48 pixel shaders and a 500 mhz core speed with 512 mb of shared ram and is able to use up to 4xAA and only takes 3% loss this is very low compared to any other GPU that losses 25% so this GPU is GREAT!!( the game programer chooses how much ram goes to the CPU or GPU).

For the CPU the 360 has 3 cores each rated at 3.2 Ghz with 2 threads per core resulting in 6 threads. This CPU will get shrink to 64 nm in 2007 but it will not be more faster it will only cut the price of the console and lower a few degrees generated.
NOTE what may the noise in my case is the DVD Drive

Physics the 360 is able to have physics but the programer has to chose the level of physics that will happen in the game. The physics will be seen in almost all the games(some games that have arrived have some physics) that arrived in Nobember and up>.

Audio the audio has 320 independent compression channels. Using a technique called XMA compression allows the 360 audio to get a compression ratio of 16: 1 on low side and up to 14: 1 on the high side.The 360 uses 32 bit processing power for the Audio this is great audio

Artificial intelligence thia AI creates NPC(non player characters) this gives more thinking power to your rivals and allies as seen in Gears of War. The more the NPC the merrier because they interact with each other by following simples A.I rules the why the more the merrier? because you can create some nice city with NPC that behave like human(this sentence is in a programer point of view and gamers as well)

Internet the 360 has Xbox Live this is the best internet for gaming compared to Sony's (I have tried Sony and it's so frustrating to play games compared to Xbox Live)

Games well all the games are froms sports and some other are not good but when the PS3 arrives in November Microsoft will be launching some very nice games (I hate marketing strategy why they don't launch some good games now!!)

Sony PS3

This thing is the best looking next generation console I had seen it's extremely beatiful!!!(on the outside)

The PS3 uses a GPU called Reality Synthesizer wich means that it is a 7900GTX but underclocked at 550mhz with 256 mb of dedicated ram (still don't know too much about the GPU of this system)

The CPU code named Cell has a speed of 3.2GHz that consists of a single PowerPC-based core with seven synergestic processing units.

The physics are the same that AGEIA established in their futures like simulation of fluids etcetera etcetera

Audio--------

A.I------------

Internet Sony have free internet acces but is very lame compared to the Xbox Live

Games there are some good games coming but Sony will have to catch up with Microsoft

Well that's all folks I will be updating this post as I find more information.If someone has more info well post it so I can add it and please I want this post oriented only in the hardware and games of the PS3 and 360(Don't talk of wich one will kicks other ass until there is a final conclusion with a comparation of the specs).

1.Let' make another section WHAT I HATE MOST OF THE PS3:

2.The motion sensitive controller that is a water down version of the Wii.

3.The PS3 logo in the middle of the controller that has the same function of the 360 controller X logo botton

4.The super crap of their internet service that was going to be free but they didn't say that it was with some games!!!!!

My partial conclusion is that 360 could win the battle I love Sony but I had to many bad experiences with them but I stilll hope something happens.But well is Microsoft fault that my PS2 is gathering dust right now Microsoft is the best and the specs of the system seems to be great and MS uses modified pc parts in there 360 while Sony's uses parts that in my case killed my PS2 that every time had a different problem. But I will remain neutral and the 360 looks that can bring a hell of a fight to the PS3.

Well I'm changing my conclusion I will say that the 360 will be very hard to to beat for Sony that rigth now makes me angry by using a copy of their competitors idea's

All this info was taken from:

XBox

Game Spot

akscottbot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
the 360's gpu is not a scaled down r580. it is based of the same archecture as ATi's upcoming r600 directx 10 gpu. Xenos has a specialized API that is a combination of directx 9 and 10, plus individualized instructions that are not implimented on any other gpu. Xenos is a 48 shader gpu, but that does not explain it completely. Xenos borrows its shaders from dx 10. the unified shader scheme it uses allows its shaders to process vertex and pixel information interchangably. this allows xenos to remain at 90%+ efficiency when processing data. compare that to the average desktop gpu which may at most average 65-70% efficiency, and you can see this in no scaled down 1900. along with that Xenos had 10MB smart-DRAM integrated on chip. this daughter die does all AA calculatons, providing up to 4xAA at not more that 3% fps loss. any contentional chip will take at least a 25% fps loss when 4xAA is applied.

RSX is not a poor gpu. it is a downclocked 7900 gtx, with TurboCache added, along with southbridge funtionality as well. It would compete admiralably with any high end gpu on the market now. However Xenos cant be compared to any current PC gpu. Xenos simply out classes RSX, not with brute strength, but with superior efficiency.

BTW were you serious about:
This thing is the best looking next generation console I had seen it's extremely beatiful!!!

Do you mean physically or technologically? I dont see either aspect as particularly tasteful.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Got the 360 and it's pretty good but I'll wait and see what the PS3 can do when it would finally hit the shelves and get some reviews. I have no doubt the PS3 has some tricks for what it is cost which is $100 more than a 360 it better be. :wink:

sweatlaserxp

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2003
Actually I believe the XBox 360 GPU is derived from the X1800 rather than 1900.

I believe that the games will look identical on both systems. Their graphics capabilities are basically equal, although the 360 seems to be better-suited to the contemporary titles because of its hugely superior integer power.

kais

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2004
ummm the ps3 doesnt have a scaled down 7900gtx. its actually the equivelant of 2 6800 uytras. which get pwnd by the gtx. and the 360 im not sure but for which one im getting impretty sure its all 3. i have 900 saved up, guess ill ebay the first ones i get. and when i say all three yes, i mean the wii,360,ps3 :D

akscottbot

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
Actually I believe the XBox 360 GPU is derived from the X1800 rather than 1900

Xenos it is not x1k based. 1800 or 1900. the unfied shaders alone tell you that.

ummm the ps3 doesnt have a scaled down 7900gtx. its actually the equivelant of 2 6800 uytras. which get pwnd by the gtx

when the CEO at nVidia said it is the "equivalent" of 2 6800's he didnt mean it was literally 2 6800's. he meant the performance was comparable with that. RSX IS a G71 based gpu. the equivalent of a GTX downclocked from 650mhz to 550mhz.

www.google.com :roll:

vindaloopie

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
if your looking at hardware stats alone then the ps3
but personally i would rather have a snes then a ps3 any day of the week
overpriced piece of kit in my opinion

El_Cangri

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I meant that the PS3 is good looking on the outside. It looks good in silver but this color will not be avaible is U.S.A :( THE ONLY THING I HATE FROM THIS CASE ARE THE HUGE VENTS I heard that the parts will burn without the huge vents I think if it's like that I could make some nice BBK in my backyard with no gas or coal that would be nice :!:

El_Cangri

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
I would buy the 360 then the Wii it would be cool playing a Metroid game using the new controller of the Wii. But I like the name Revolution instead of Wii. Does somebody knows why they change the name?

Panther_V

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
OKAY , if people buy a PS3 to watch blu-ray they will buy the 60GB model one because its the only model to have an HDMI port. Now Sony exes say $599USD :? but what about the rest of the world :?

UK $802USD
AUSTRALIA , EUROPE $754USD
USA/CANADA $599USD
JAPAN OPEN PRICE $1000 ++ AT LAUNCH

Now sony is making sure that PS3 has HDMI 1.3 port but at what expense :?

No more 3.2GHz Cell processor .. its now 2.8Ghz
GPU clock speed has been reduced
GPU ram clock speed has been reduced
GPU pipeline has been reduced
External 400PSU (even bigger than xbox 360 power brick)
core logic bridge is out but now intergated into RSX
No more Rumble because of court case

What about the online plan :? Sony screw up squad has very good plans to milk as much money as possible by :
-Selling Ships and add on for games like Warhack for $3.00ish each on PS3 online hub. these weapon and ship and extra stuff would have been in the game if sony didn't intent to sell them :!!
-Selling MUSIC from PS3 Supper star crap

Virus possible :) damn yes because Sony thought it would be supper awesome to make sure Blu-ray GUI would be codded in java but not xml because xml. now you put a blu-ray disk in the drive and it will run java code ... now guess what that leads too

Is Bluray even worth it... wait they are using Mepg2 not VLC or MPEG 4 because current dual layer BD media is limited to 25GB because of cost of production. While HD-DVD is already using Dual Layer disk 30GB and its using a much better codec VLC. Does Blu-ray Movies beat HD-DVD in Image quality ... not according to most review i read.

Ahh i could go on how Sony is planning to screwing the consumer over with PS3!!!

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
lol why all the people that choose the xbox must be american :lol:

i think ps3 will win big time. because sony delivers good quality consoles. even my ps2 controller was water proof i found out :lol:

and the ps3 will have more features and better graphics and because of the blu-ray the games will be better simply because the blu-ray disc can store more files then a dvd.

But well its maybe because im from europe :lol:

FeareX

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
btw panther_v the cell processor will be 3,2ghz ive read. it was on tweakers.net a week ago that sony says it will just have the 3,2ghz

But if the ps3 will lose on his size... then i dont know what people want

El_Cangri

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
If the PS3 would lose his size Sony would be a dumba$$!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey it is true that the big holes for ventilation are because the PS3 would melt the freaking parts in less than a hour?

tach

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
I say the best thing about the PS3 that will sell is the fact its blu-ray abilitie is only gonna cost $599USD, has anyone seen the price of those players in stores, best buy has a samsung for $999.99. the main reason i bought the PS2 was that it had a DVD player built in (though the first gens were glitchy and didnt support progressive scan) at a time when DVD players were at $600 bucks, the PS2 $300 so i got one but i enjoyed my xbox more, a couple of years later. does anyone know the price for the HD-DVD for the 360 is gonna cost i would like to know the cheapest HD player i found that didnt look cheap was at $600.

Either way the hardware is there for both systems but that only matters to the developers as they have to make code for the system, MS has better software tools to help developers (ie. XNS) where as sony has always made the 3rd party developers make their own and then sony takes them modify and give to others.

Graphics wise the games will look about the same for the cross platform games. but the title exclusives is where the beauty is at, with support for a custom DX10 for the 360 odds are in its favor. but sony as a creative license will have certain goodlooking titles eventually, i say eventually only becuase developers are gonna need more time to work on the hardware for games to be creative, but not so much on the graphics for the system as the G71 architecture has been out for PCs for a while and games look really good so far with these cards.

in conclusion i love my 360 but i bet there will be titles that i would die to have that just might only come out on the PS3 but then again titles on PC might entise me to upgrade my 5 year old gaming rig.

Panther_V

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2006
XBOX 360 HD DVD player add on should cost $100 to $150.

The issue isn't that HD-DVD cost so much to make , its the decoding the content. A basic home HD-DVD player has 1GB ram , P4 2.6Ghz CPU , 256mb flash memory , 32mb mirrorbit flash , BCM7411 chips HD decoding . HD DVD Optical led and linux os.

So bascially its a Computer and its sell for $500 and they still make decent profit over it.

HD-DVD optical drive only cost %15 extra than dvd and that cost will reduce. While Blu-ray the cost of production is outrages and blank media is to expensive.

You guys have no idea how much underpowered the lastest dev kit is... the dev kit used at e3 were more powerful and also having 2GB ram. Current GPU spec in ps3 which i will not really talk about is no where near as good as amped version of G71.. its has less power than 7900gt.

Also i am now very sure the 2.8Ghz will be final clock speed for cell in the ps3 as sony can't get the required die for 3.2Ghz . If sony wants to keep its 3.2Ghz promise then they will have to delay the ps3 launch by few months and i doubt they will do that.

El_Cangri

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
Sony always promise something good and is always change from good to bad how would a cell at 2.8 beat the 360 at 3.2!? Fact: Sony is the best at paper but the worst at reality

tach

Distinguished
May 28, 2006
yeah i am happy the HD-DVD player is gonna be that cheap i will definately get one. i have already bought a few HDs (bournce supremacy should look good)

at $600 dollars the PS3 is cheap for a blu-ray but i still cant afford one easily after just purchasing a 360 a few months ago but by the time i will be able to afford it the price might drop (wishful thinking). just thinking of how last generation the money i was spending in the next-gen i could have owned a GC, PS2, and xbox. now all i need is a DX10 vid card on my rig and there should be no game i cant play.

SONY gets one point from me as its $500 dollar version wont have you buying neccessities as the 360 core model did. but with component only on this version you would need to have Monster THX certified cables to have 1080P capable. but since maybe only two games will ever probably be displayed 1080P (G71 bandwidth is limited for those resolutions) and the fact you need a new current HDTV that can display it and have HDCP you have everything you need to fully enjoy a PS3 (i dont care for the WI-FI as i rather not have any lag). only top end models currently have this such as SAMSUNG (i had just purchased one still recovering from heart attack of price)

SONY has one compelling package and even if you can afford all the systems odds are you will only be playing the one you like the most. i have had almost every console system ever and found myself always only playing one system more than most in each gen.

either way i see it with competition the future of gaming should get better and prettier, GO SONY, GO MS, GO Nint. i want to be able to waste half my life playing the best games ever even if they are on the PC as well.

ohsonice_99

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2006
Sorry but with all the problems besetting the PS3 and still no one as seen it work it qualifies as the PSX and we all o where that wound up. PS3 problems :
Processor has serious read issues 16mb/s
Processor is overheating and low yelds they are going to use a 2.8ghz
RSX is OLD 6800 technology XBOX 600 doesnt even have a PC equivalent yet
So far it seems the Blu-ray is going to be a single speed
HDMI isn't working properly
This is a single core processor going against a triple core
Controller is light and flimsy no feedback talk about cheap

This is not a contest the games for the xbox this Christmas are fully developed and there are a lot of them and they are going to be 20-30 dollars cheaper.

By the way a $429 (amd 3700) computer with a x1900xt dropped in will kick the ps3 to the curb.

O_Malley

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2006
" Processor has serious read issues 16mb/s
Processor is overheating and low yelds they are going to use a 2.8ghz
RSX is OLD 6800 technology XBOX 600 doesnt even have a PC equivalent yet
So far it seems the Blu-ray is going to be a single speed
HDMI isn't working properly
This is a single core processor going against a triple core
Controller is light and flimsy no feedback talk about cheap."

I'm sorry, but this is all a load of cr@p.

The RSX is NOT 6800 technology. They just said that it's power is more than 2 6800 Ultra's. Not 2 in Sli. Sli gives you 20%-60% increased performance, they meant literaly twice as powerful as a 6800 Ultra. So that is close to a 7900 GTX.

The 16mb/s thing was a stupid Inquirer article that has been proven to be totaly false. Nothing is wrong with the processor.

Single core processor? No, it's actually one MAIN core, with seven SPE's, so that equates to EIGHT cores.

No feedback? So what it has motion sensing (although it has to be admited that it was cheaply copied from ninty).

nottheking

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2006
the 360's gpu is not a scaled down r580. it is based of the same archecture as ATi's upcoming r600 directx 10 gpu. Xenos has a specialized API that is a combination of directx 9 and 10, plus individualized instructions that are not implimented on any other gpu. Xenos is a 48 shader gpu, but that does not explain it completely. Xenos borrows its shaders from dx 10. the unified shader scheme it uses allows its shaders to process vertex and pixel information interchangably. this allows xenos to remain at 90%+ efficiency when processing data. compare that to the average desktop gpu which may at most average 65-70% efficiency, and you can see this in no scaled down 1900. along with that Xenos had 10MB smart-DRAM integrated on chip. this daughter die does all AA calculatons, providing up to 4xAA at not more that 3% fps loss. any contentional chip will take at least a 25% fps loss when 4xAA is applied.

RSX is not a poor gpu. it is a downclocked 7900 gtx, with TurboCache added, along with southbridge funtionality as well. It would compete admiralably with any high end gpu on the market now. However Xenos cant be compared to any current PC gpu. Xenos simply out classes RSX, not with brute strength, but with superior efficiency.

BTW were you serious about:
This thing is the best looking next generation console I had seen it's extremely beatiful!!!

Do you mean physically or technologically? I dont see either aspect as particularly tasteful.
I do have to take serious issue with this; it seems you've largely eaten the hype on the R500, and have accidentially mixed in a lot of other stuff, resulting in a confusing mess that does not resemble the true R500.

In fact, the R500 is simply "DirectX based." It doesn't use any version that's availible, nor will be avilible. Think of it as a sort of DirectX 9.1 with some other changes for a console. At its base, it's DirectX 9.0c, but as noted, many things are changed. DirectX 10 will surpass it, but that's no suprise, given that the Xenos's DirectX form had to be finalized mid-2005, while Microsoft has until 2007 or so (or whenever) to finish working on DirectX 10.

As for the arcitecture... It's currently "unique." Apparently, it will resemble, in some ways, the R600 design. However, no PC GPU will be exactly the same as it. It's also worth noting that many parts of the Radeon micro-arcitecture have remained virtually unchanged since the R300.

The main differences are that it's a tile-based renderer, and that it uses a unified shader arcitecture. I'll start on the latter.

The unified SA means that it can use a single pool of shader ALUs (each ALU contains a four-wide vector, and a 32-bit floating-point processor) for both vertex and pixel calculations. This does allow for a good deal of freedom in programming, as well as the potential to shift power to prevent some cases of "stuttering," in case the load balance becomes something unexpected.

It's important to point out that those 48 shaders are NOT the same as the 48 in the R580 chips; the R580 has complete pixel shaders, which are not only not usable for vertex operations, but also contain TWO ALUs, making them effectively twice as powerful (and twice as power-hungry) as the individual ALUs found in the R500 Xenos.

Now, perhaps the REAL innovation for the Xenos is the fact that it's a tile-based rendering engine. While most chips (including the RSX, current video cards, and probably even the R600 and G80) use their ROPs (Raster Pipelines; they are what actually write the frame-buffer) directly to the VRAM, the Xenos, instead, writes to a "tile buffer."

This buffer is made up of 10MB of "EDRAM," low-latency, high-performance DRAM that can actually be used in a processor at 500MHz, but is cheaper (as well as more compact) than SRAM. (which is used for CPU cache, and can support speeds of 4+ GHz)

Make no mistake, this doesn't make anything "free," at least as most would understand it.

However, what it DOES do is virtually eliminate ALL costs of "overdraw," where the GPU writes to the same pixel more than once. Overdraw is common, since we have all sorts of objects and effects that will change what color a particular pixel is. Any form of anti-aliasing will MULTIPLY this.

Having a tile buffer does seriously decrease the bandwidth draw seen with high resolutions and AA, but doesn't make them free. The GPU still has to expend the (potentially high) costs for texturing, shading, and lighting all of those extra samples. However, in cases where that load isn't a problem, (the Xenos DOES pack a full 16 TMUs, the same as an R4xx or R5xx-based card, so this would only be a problem in some games, most notably future ones) it can dramatically reduce the performance hit of AA, possibly even eliminating it, though that would be most likely only for older titles.

It's also worth noting that while most the GPU is quite flexible, the EDRAM is not; unlike all of the other RAM in the system, the ONLY thing that can write to it are the ROPs, which reside on the "daughter die" as well, and the only read operations that can be made from it are either by the GPU itself, or a transfer of the "tile" to the actual frame-buffer.

For those looking for more information, I recommend this article on Beyond3D.

El_Cangri

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2006
The 360 uses a R600 that has full support of DX10 and a shader model 4 but they still aren't any games with DX10 support :( (I think this info is from wikipedia.org)

coolzmikey

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Buying any of the PS3 or pc or xbox 360 is the toughest choice and as much as i remembered The PS3 could be well played on HDTV of resoulution of 1080p and it would xost 2000$ creating a hole in pockets so what to buy PS3 OR PC or XBOx360??????/

PLEASE SOLVE THIS PROBLEM

Many gamers are thinkin to shift to AMD 64 which is a gr8 choice even i also have that choice with a GPU of GeForce 6800GS is my choice correct or i should buy a PS3.I have an old pc of

AMD ANTHLON XP2000+
512*2 DDR 333 RAM
PSU 400W
MOTHERBOARD ASUS A7V400 MX SE WITH SATA 1.5GBPS SUPPORT
AND OTHER OPTICAL DRIVES

SO WHAT I AM THINKIN TO SHIFT TO 64 BIT GAMING OR COMPUTING whatever ACTUALLY I WANTED TO UPGRADE MY MACHINE.MY main interest is in gaming so i am confused to buy a new pc or a PS3 or xbox360 keeping my old pc..

PLEASE REPLY