OK. Here it is. I have a PC with 4 HDD partitions and the
CD rom is rooted. I have the Win XP pro SP1 CD content
copied on a partition.
On C I have win 98.
I Instaled win xp from under win 98 on partition E
I deleted all file of win 98 from C drive.
I entered DOS with the 98 boot disk and formated C.
When I tried to boot win XP is not starting.
I entered in DOS mode with 98 boot diskete.
I choosed to install win XP from the
winxp/i863/winnt.exe
It started copied files to another place ( dunno where )
Restarted PC
Got 3 messages: continue installing/ use old windows (
impossible I deleted win 98 files and formated C) /
contiue using win XP from the previous instalation.
If I choose option to continue using win XP I got
something about Hall missing.
If I choose install it takes me to License file not found.
I tryed to put in BIOS the boot sequence AC CD rom to
boot from the diskete.
Impossible. It takes me always to the 3 options screen.
Please help me!
What should I do as long as I can not boot inclean DOS
mode.
If I try using repair console it takes me to the
directory where Win XP is actually installed but not
functionall and I can access those functions. This way I
reformated C using autoformat.exe.
Any ideea before taking off all HDD and formating them
on another PC??

hermes

Before the MVP (M$ Victim Poster) Hermes responded, marafx typed:
> OK. Here it is. I have a PC with 4 HDD partitions and the
> CD rom is rooted. I have the Win XP pro SP1 CD content
> copied on a partition.
> On C I have win 98.
> I Instaled win xp from under win 98 on partition E
> I deleted all file of win 98 from C drive.
> I entered DOS with the 98 boot disk and formated C.
> When I tried to boot win XP is not starting.
> I entered in DOS mode with 98 boot diskete.
> I choosed to install win XP from the
> winxp/i863/winnt.exe
> It started copied files to another place ( dunno where )
> Restarted PC
> Got 3 messages: continue installing/ use old windows (
> impossible I deleted win 98 files and formated C) /
> contiue using win XP from the previous instalation.
> If I choose option to continue using win XP I got
> something about Hall missing.
> If I choose install it takes me to License file not found.
> I tryed to put in BIOS the boot sequence AC CD rom to
> boot from the diskete.
> Impossible. It takes me always to the 3 options screen.
> Please help me!
> What should I do as long as I can not boot inclean DOS
> mode.
> If I try using repair console it takes me to the
> directory where Win XP is actually installed but not
> functionall and I can access those functions. This way I
> reformated C using autoformat.exe.
> Any ideea before taking off all HDD and formating them
> on another PC??

Is your Windows 98 in a separate partition on the same HDD that you are
trying to install xp on, or is it on a different HDD?

--
hermes
DRM sux! Treacherous Computing kills our virtual civil liberties!

Windows XP crashed.
I am the Blue Screen of Death.
No one hears your screams.

Yesterday it worked.
Today it is not working.
Windows is like that.

Gordon

"marafx" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> OK. Here it is. I have a PC with 4 HDD partitions and the
> CD rom is rooted. I have the Win XP pro SP1 CD content
> copied on a partition.
> On C I have win 98.

OK. If you were going to get rid of W98 anyway, why on earth did you not
boot from the XP CD, format C: and install XP there in the first place? Why
all the monkeying about with installing on E: and then deleting W98 and
trying to format? Why not just start over, format C: and E: and then do a
clean install on C:?