Read Only Documents

lynn

When I try to alter any documents I have copied on to a RW CD, I'm being told I cannot save ***** document
as the file exists and is marked read-only. Save the file with another file name or to another location.

I can't understand why they're showing as read-only as they don't show that on my desk top. I don't want to change names or location of documents - just to save the changes I have made.

Thanks.

| When I try to alter any documents I have copied on to a RW CD, I'm
| being told I cannot save ***** document as the file exists and is
| marked read-only. Save the file with another file name or to
another
| location.
|
| I can't understand why they're showing as read-only as they don't
| show that on my desk top. I don't want to change names or location
| of documents - just to save the changes I have made.

Files on a CD-ROM are read-only (compact disc read-only memory). And
you cannot use a CD-RW for random-access storage.

You will have to do as the message says: copy the file to a media that
supports R/W (such as your hard drive), change the read-only attribute
manually for the files that needs modification, and then burn another
CD-R(W) with the "new" file.

For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
article:

KB323002 - HOW TO: Remove the Read-Only Attribute While You Copy Files
from a CD-ROM in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=323002

lynn

Thanks. So I can send the edited file to desktop, then send it back to the CD to replace the existing file?

Lynn

Gordon

"Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote in message
> Files on a CD-ROM are read-only (compact disc read-only memory). And
> you cannot use a CD-RW for random-access storage.

Of course you can if you format the CD RW for packet writing. Admittedly the
native XP burning software does not do this, but Nero and Roxio certainly
do.

Gordon

> Thanks. So I can send the edited file to desktop, then send it back to
the CD to replace the existing file?

> Lynn

Please quote the post you are replying to - it makes it easier to follow the
thread.

Thank you.

Really Gordon? As this is obviously your personal choice why not tell people that it really isn't necessary to quote the original post but for people like yourself you prefer it. I never quote the original post as I consider it a waste of time repeating what has already been posted. Give people credit that they know how to "reply" to a post without the need to quote the original and that that reply will be under the original post so all one has to do is look at the original for reference if needed. Makes replies shorter and there is less clutter on the server in my opinion. {:~)

Nero does not have packet writing capabilities however you can install InCD
from the makers of Nero and it does.
--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Gordon" <me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote in message
>> Files on a CD-ROM are read-only (compact disc read-only memory). And
>> you cannot use a CD-RW for random-access storage.
>
> Of course you can if you format the CD RW for packet writing. Admittedly
> the
> native XP burning software does not do this, but Nero and Roxio certainly
> do.

Lynn you might find the information at Alex Nichol's site helpful in
understanding CD Burning http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.htm I have additional
links and information here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/cdr_info.htm

If you want a CD-R/W to behave more like a giant floppy or a small hard
drive, where you can easily save, modify or delete files directly to/from
the CD you should purchase a third party app like InCD from www.nero.com or
DLA from http://www.sonic.com/products/dla/default.asp Both of these are
stand a lone products. --

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]