Read Only Documents

When I try to alter any documents I have copied on to a RW CD, I'm being told I cannot save ***** document
as the file exists and is marked read-only. Save the file with another file name or to another location.

I can't understand why they're showing as read-only as they don't show that on my desk top. I don't want to change names or location of documents - just to save the changes I have made.

Thanks.
7 answers Last reply
More about read documents

    | When I try to alter any documents I have copied on to a RW CD, I'm
    | being told I cannot save ***** document as the file exists and is
    | marked read-only. Save the file with another file name or to
    another
    | location.
    |
    | I can't understand why they're showing as read-only as they don't
    | show that on my desk top. I don't want to change names or location
    | of documents - just to save the changes I have made.

    Files on a CD-ROM are read-only (compact disc read-only memory). And
    you cannot use a CD-RW for random-access storage.

    You will have to do as the message says: copy the file to a media that
    supports R/W (such as your hard drive), change the read-only attribute
    manually for the files that needs modification, and then burn another
    CD-R(W) with the "new" file.

    For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
    article:

    KB323002 - HOW TO: Remove the Read-Only Attribute While You Copy Files
    from a CD-ROM in Windows 2000
    http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=323002

    Thanks. So I can send the edited file to desktop, then send it back to the CD to replace the existing file?

    Lynn

    "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote in message
    > Files on a CD-ROM are read-only (compact disc read-only memory). And
    > you cannot use a CD-RW for random-access storage.

    Of course you can if you format the CD RW for packet writing. Admittedly the
    native XP burning software does not do this, but Nero and Roxio certainly
    do.

    > Thanks. So I can send the edited file to desktop, then send it back to
    the CD to replace the existing file?

    > Lynn

    Please quote the post you are replying to - it makes it easier to follow the
    thread.

    Thank you.

    Really Gordon? As this is obviously your personal choice why not tell people that it really isn't necessary to quote the original post but for people like yourself you prefer it. I never quote the original post as I consider it a waste of time repeating what has already been posted. Give people credit that they know how to "reply" to a post without the need to quote the original and that that reply will be under the original post so all one has to do is look at the original for reference if needed. Makes replies shorter and there is less clutter on the server in my opinion. {:~)

    Nero does not have packet writing capabilities however you can install InCD
    from the makers of Nero and it does.
    --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Gordon" <me6@privacy.net> wrote in message
    > "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg> wrote in message
    >> Files on a CD-ROM are read-only (compact disc read-only memory). And
    >> you cannot use a CD-RW for random-access storage.
    >
    > Of course you can if you format the CD RW for packet writing. Admittedly
    > the
    > native XP burning software does not do this, but Nero and Roxio certainly
    > do.

    Lynn you might find the information at Alex Nichol's site helpful in
    understanding CD Burning http://www.aumha.org/a/xpcd.htm I have additional
    links and information here http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/cdr_info.htm

    If you want a CD-R/W to behave more like a giant floppy or a small hard
    drive, where you can easily save, modify or delete files directly to/from
    the CD you should purchase a third party app like InCD from www.nero.com or
    DLA from http://www.sonic.com/products/dla/default.asp Both of these are
    stand a lone products. --

    Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
    www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

    "Lynn" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks. So I can send the edited file to desktop, then send it back to
    > the CD to replace the existing file?
    >
    > Lynn

Read Only Microsoft Windows XP