Wireless Network Card probs on laptop

Operating System: Windows XP SP1
Modem: SpeedTouch 570

Problem: The wireless PC card I have purchased for my laptop will not
register with my router (Speedtouch 570). I have removed all software,
drivers and hardware and have re-installed. I have even formatted my
hard disk but still cannot get it to work.

If I plug in a Cat5 network cable from the laptop directly to the
Speedtouch 570 Router it works fine so that proves there is nothing
wrong with the Router or internet access.

Running the ipconfig command brings back the following results:

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.133.133
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan

I have input the WEP key a number of times and still no luck. The
Wireless card shows an excellent signal but for some reason it won't
register with the router. I have restarted the Router but still to no
avail.

The reason I have posted here is to see if anybody else has come
across anything similar. Support for the manufacturers SPEEDTOUCH have
proved utterly useless and it's a premium rate number.
4 answers Last reply
More about wireless network card probs laptop

    Robert Zirpolo wrote:

    >Operating System: Windows XP SP1
    >Modem: SpeedTouch 570
    >
    >Problem: The wireless PC card I have purchased for my laptop will not
    >register with my router (Speedtouch 570). I have removed all software,
    >drivers and hardware and have re-installed. I have even formatted my
    >hard disk but still cannot get it to work.
    >
    >If I plug in a Cat5 network cable from the laptop directly to the
    >Speedtouch 570 Router it works fine so that proves there is nothing
    >wrong with the Router or internet access.
    >
    >Running the ipconfig command brings back the following results:
    >
    >Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    >Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    >Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.133.133
    >Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    >Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    >
    >Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    >Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
    >IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
    >Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    >Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
    >
    >I have input the WEP key a number of times and still no luck. The
    >Wireless card shows an excellent signal but for some reason it won't
    >register with the router. I have restarted the Router but still to no
    >avail.
    >
    >The reason I have posted here is to see if anybody else has come
    >across anything similar. Support for the manufacturers SPEEDTOUCH have
    >proved utterly useless and it's a premium rate number.

    Have you tried it without WEP?

    On 22 Jul 2004 07:48:45 -0700, robz8701@hotmail.com (Robert Zirpolo)
    wrote:

    >Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.133.133

    169.254.xxx.xxx is what your computah (and some routers) set the IP
    address if it cannot obtain a DHCP asssigned IP address. If you get
    one of these addresses, DHCP is NOT working.

    I suggest you disable WEP, WPA, 802.1x authentication, and any other
    enhancements and see if it will work. If so, then turn them back on
    and look for the typo error in the WEP key or WPA phrase.

    For more detailed troubleshooting instructions, see:

    http://www.google.com/groups?selm=p05lf0h4hfj8tebdnag6h39rgon7972241%404ax.com

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    In your router's configuration page, make sure that DHCP is set to
    automatically assign and IP address (dynamic). Then make sure that
    the SSID, encryption , if enabled, and Channel are the same as that of
    the WIndowx XP Wireless Zero Config utility or the wireless config
    that came with the card.

    wrote:

    >Operating System: Windows XP SP1
    >Modem: SpeedTouch 570
    >
    >Problem: The wireless PC card I have purchased for my laptop will not
    >register with my router (Speedtouch 570). I have removed all software,
    >drivers and hardware and have re-installed. I have even formatted my
    >hard disk but still cannot get it to work.
    >
    >If I plug in a Cat5 network cable from the laptop directly to the
    >Speedtouch 570 Router it works fine so that proves there is nothing
    >wrong with the Router or internet access.
    >
    >Running the ipconfig command brings back the following results:
    >
    >Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    >Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    >Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.133.133
    >Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    >Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    >
    >Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    >Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
    >IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2
    >Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0
    >Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.138
    >
    >I have input the WEP key a number of times and still no luck. The
    >Wireless card shows an excellent signal but for some reason it won't
    >register with the router. I have restarted the Router but still to no
    >avail.
    >
    >The reason I have posted here is to see if anybody else has come
    >across anything similar. Support for the manufacturers SPEEDTOUCH have
    >proved utterly useless and it's a premium rate number.

    Do you have MAC address filtering enabled? If so, the address of the
    wireless card also has to be entered.

    "Robert Zirpolo" <robz8701@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Operating System: Windows XP SP1
    > Modem: SpeedTouch 570
    >
    > Problem: The wireless PC card I have purchased for my laptop will not
    > register with my router (Speedtouch 570). I have removed all software,
    > drivers and hardware and have re-installed. I have even formatted my
    > hard disk but still cannot get it to work.
    >
    > If I plug in a Cat5 network cable from the laptop directly to the
    > Speedtouch 570 Router it works fine so that proves there is nothing
    > wrong with the Router or internet access.
    >
    > Running the ipconfig command brings back the following results:
    >
    > Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
    > Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.133.133
    > Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
    >
    > Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
    > Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : lan
    >
    > I have input the WEP key a number of times and still no luck. The
    > Wireless card shows an excellent signal but for some reason it won't
    > register with the router. I have restarted the Router but still to no
    > avail.
    >
    > The reason I have posted here is to see if anybody else has come
    > across anything similar. Support for the manufacturers SPEEDTOUCH have
    > proved utterly useless and it's a premium rate number.

Laptops Wireless Networking