Tropos Mesh Wireless at So. Calif. Wireless User Group Mee..

Cyrus Behroozi, the Chief Scientist of Tropos Networks
(http://www.troposnetworks.com) will be presenting the Tropos wireless mesh
technology at the next SOCALWUG meeting tonight, Thursday 7/22/04 at 7pm
(Pacific).

Tropos' products transform Wi-Fi into a scalable, reliable infrastructure by
layering intelligence on top of Wi-Fi to create a new class of products,
Wi-Fi cells. Wi-Fi cells self-organize and, using wireless backhaul, forward
data to each other along the optimal path to a wired network connection.
Tropos' system uniquely enables economical, metro-scale Wi-Fi by eliminating
the need for each Wi-Fi node to have a wired connection.

Tropos has been in recent news:

San Mateo County Beefs Up Security For Peterson Trial:
http://www.troposnetworks.com/company/releases/2004_05_26.shtml

Tropos: Supplier of Metro Wi-Fi:
http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/news/article.php/2210711

Tropos Unhooks New Orleans:
http://www.unstrung.com/document.asp?doc_id=51296

Who should attend?

Wireless ISPs
Wireless technicians and engineers
Business people interested in wireless
People working in the wireless community
Wireless Security professionals
People new to wireless
People interested in meeting others involved in the wireless community
Buyers of wireless technology products and services
Those interested in lively technical discussions ranging from beginner to
expert
People new to wireless

Meeting Cost: Free!

Agenda (times are approximate):

7:00pm Mixing - business/friend contacts
7:10pm Logon> Introductions to the group and key members
7:15pm Announcements & News Items
7:20pm General Q&A
7:30pm Presentation - Cyrus Behroozi, Tropos
8:40pm Mixing - break off into groups of discussions
9:00pm Logoff>

When:

Every Fourth Thursday
7:00pm to 9:00pm (Pacific)
Thursday 07/22/04 at 7pm
Meeting video streamed live: http://www.socalwug.org

Where:

Pasadena IHOP Restaurant (rear meeting room)
3521 E. Foothill Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91107
Location: http://ihop.know-where.com/ihop/cgi/site?00006
Wireless SSID: www.socalwug.org
GPS: N 34 09.032 - W 118 04.645

*NOW* Take the Train!

MTA Gold Line "Sierra Madre Villa" station Visit the MTA site for times and
stations:
http://www.mta.net/riding_metro/metro_rail/gold_line/default.htm
Click this MapQuest link for a walking map from the SMV station:
http://tinyurl.com/lhum

Note: Please come hungry and support our host. Food served during meeting.
Separate checks.

Please redistribute this notice.

Frank Keeney
http://www.wlanparts.com

----------------------------------
Co-Founder, Southern California Wireless User Group:
http://www.socalwug.org

IM: Yahoo: wlanparts, AIM: wlanparts, MSN: frank at pasadena.net
VOIP: Skype: wlanparts, FWD: 289372

---------------------------
List management: http://www.pasadena.net/list.html
6 answers Last reply
More about tropos mesh wireless calif wireless user group

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 07:54:08 -0700, "Frank" <la@pasadena.net> wrote:

    >Cyrus Behroozi, the Chief Scientist of Tropos Networks
    >(http://www.troposnetworks.com) will be presenting the Tropos wireless mesh
    >technology at the next SOCALWUG meeting tonight, Thursday 7/22/04 at 7pm
    >(Pacific).

    I can't attend but you might ask them:

    1. Why does their outoor data sheet advertise an illegal antenna
    gain?
    http://www.troposnetworks.com/pdf/5110_datasheet.pdf
    1 watt is +30dBm, not +29dBm and the maximum omni gain allowed is
    +6dBi, not 7.4dBi.

    2. Why are all the outdoor mesh network poletops in their network
    running maximum legal power? Isn't that overkill and no better than
    jamming? Is that why the city of Milpitas wanted lower power units?
    Or was it complaints from other wireless users.

    3. How's the latency with only one radio in each poletop? Store and
    forward is rather gross and inefficient as compared to multi-radio
    networks by SkyPilot and BelAir. Sending the same packet through the
    air over and over from node to node is not my idea of airtime
    efficiency?

    4. How does their "intelligent routeing algorithm" or "layer 3 NOS
    routing intelligce" deal with broacast packets, topography that
    requires a switchback, and recover from power failures?

    Anyway, have a nice meeting.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

    Jeff,

    You can watch the meeting in streaming video see http://www.socalwug.org.
    And ask the questions via IM or IRC:

    AOL IM = socalwug -or- wlanparts
    MSN IM = mox at transstellar.com -or- frank at pasadena.net
    Yahoo IM = mikeoutmesguine -or- wlanparts
    Skype = mikeoutmesguine -or- wlanparts
    Internet Relay Chat - IRC

    Server: irc.linux.com
    Channel: #wireless

    I'll ask your questions if you cannot watch it. BTW, we have many questions
    like your's.

    Frank

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 11:29:42 -0700, "Frank" <la@pasadena.net> wrote:

    >You can watch the meeting in streaming video see http://www.socalwug.org.
    >And ask the questions via IM or IRC:

    Thanks. I wanna see them squirm. In case it's not obvious, I
    consider store and forward mesh networks to be no better than an
    abomination. I would like to see such networks banned as a gross and
    inefficient waste of air time and be considered no better than an
    unintentional jammer.

    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

    Video is streaming now http://www.socalwug.org

    Stream is up and down so retry.

    Frank

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:02:29 -0700, "Frank" <la@pasadena.net> wrote:

    >Video is streaming now http://www.socalwug.org
    >Stream is up and down so retry.

    Well, it was more up than down. I was on from 8PM to 9:10PM and only
    had to reconnect about 20 times. If you're using wireless for the
    backhaul, it has a problem.

    There were a few other problems. The talk was generally interesting
    but I had to fight to hear anything. The speaker would say 5 words,
    say "ahhh", 5 more words, another "ahhh", and then trail off in volume
    at the end of every sentence. I could easily tell when he was
    confident about his answers as the number of "ahhh's" were greatly
    reduced. I could barely hear the questions from the audience. The
    speaker did not repeat any of the questions. You might wanna buy a
    fluorescent color correction filter for the video camera so everything
    doesn't look green and perhaps some wireless microphones.

    I was unimpressed with the speakers dismissal of Metricom's routeing
    protocol as being "rather simple" (or something like that) because it
    was not a true mesh network. He knows not of what he speaks. Let me
    know when they re-discover Metricom's (patented) geographic routeing
    system. There was probably more that I could complain about, but I
    couldn't hear anything clearly or long enough to frame a suitable
    denunciation.

    Say hello to Jack Unger from me whom I noticed making a grab for the
    free goodies at the end of the presentation.

    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us

    Sound is not so good. We know.

    The video problem was with the streaming server. Sorry about that.

    The speaker is one of their engineers, not a sales droid. Information was
    good. I'm not a fan of this type of mesh nor was I impressed by the product
    (except for the outdoor enclosure). I've been working with Strix
    (http://www.wlanparts.com/category/strix_wireless/) with good success.
    Radios that use multiple frequencies perform much better.

    I'll be encoding the video and have it available at a reliable server in
    about a week.

    Thanks for watching.

    Seems, like everyone knows Jack Unger. He's one of our regulars.

    Frank

    > On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 20:02:29 -0700, "Frank" <la@pasadena.net> wrote:
    >
    > >Video is streaming now http://www.socalwug.org
    > >Stream is up and down so retry.
    >
    > Well, it was more up than down. I was on from 8PM to 9:10PM and only
    > had to reconnect about 20 times. If you're using wireless for the
    > backhaul, it has a problem.
    >
    > There were a few other problems. The talk was generally interesting
    > but I had to fight to hear anything. The speaker would say 5 words,
    > say "ahhh", 5 more words, another "ahhh", and then trail off in volume
    > at the end of every sentence. I could easily tell when he was
    > confident about his answers as the number of "ahhh's" were greatly
    > reduced. I could barely hear the questions from the audience. The
    > speaker did not repeat any of the questions. You might wanna buy a
    > fluorescent color correction filter for the video camera so everything
    > doesn't look green and perhaps some wireless microphones.
    >
    > I was unimpressed with the speakers dismissal of Metricom's routeing
    > protocol as being "rather simple" (or something like that) because it
    > was not a true mesh network. He knows not of what he speaks. Let me
    > know when they re-discover Metricom's (patented) geographic routeing
    > system. There was probably more that I could complain about, but I
    > couldn't hear anything clearly or long enough to frame a suitable
    > denunciation.
    >
    > Say hello to Jack Unger from me whom I noticed making a grab for the
    > free goodies at the end of the presentation.
    >

    > --
    > # Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    > # 831.336.2558 voice http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    > # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
    > # 831.421.6491 digital_pager jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS

Wireless WiFi Wireless Networking