Sign in with
Your question

What is a thread

Last response: in Windows 7
August 11, 2010 4:28:47 PM

I recently upgraded my computer to Windows 7 64 bit. At the time I had 2GB of memory installed. I did a clean install and every thing went fine. I later added 2 more Gb of mem and it wouldnt boot. It starts to load windows then goes to blue screen and reboots forever. If I remove 2 Gb it's fine. I switched mem sticks and slots and still the same problem. I tride a blank hard drive and a new install and setup went to blue screen. The mother board is ASUS M2N68-AM SE2, CPU is an Athlon 64X2 4400 and the memory is Centon 2GB 667 DDR2. 2 identicle sticks purchased together. The BIOS see's the memory OK and there is no problem untill windows looks at it

More about : thread

a b $ Windows 7
August 11, 2010 5:33:07 PM

i guess i'm a little confused by your title... since it has nothing to do w/ your post.
Make sure you have the voltages set correctly, ect. and get rid of any OCing that you may have done.
I use a program called memtest to stress test the RAM. (http://www.memtest.org/)

It would seem that you got a bad stick of RAM. I would first try returning it.
Most companies RMA their wares for just the cost of shipping.

m
l
August 11, 2010 6:49:58 PM

arges86 said:
i guess i'm a little confused by your title... since it has nothing to do w/ your post.
Make sure you have the voltages set correctly, ect. and get rid of any OCing that you may have done.
I use a program called memtest to stress test the RAM. (http://www.memtest.org/)

It would seem that you got a bad stick of RAM. I would first try returning it.
Most companies RMA their wares for just the cost of shipping.

Im new to this. Why cant it just say something like Topic or Message instead of thread ? Or is that just jargon to make people feel like insiders. You sew with thread. Both sticks work fine on thier own. I have had the memory for quite a while and cant return it. I was waiting for a 64 bit operating system. I will test it though just to be sure. The problem doesnt surface untill Windows starts to load so I'm not ready to blame the memory.
m
l
Related resources
August 11, 2010 9:31:32 PM

Memtest says both memory sticks are Ok . Memory voltage is set to auto and I dont waste my time overclocking. I still think its a Windows problem. Thanks anyway.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
August 12, 2010 7:09:23 AM

karen cartland said:
Im new to this. Why cant it just say something like Topic or Message instead of thread ? Or is that just jargon to make people feel like insiders. You sew with thread.

[#0005ff]It's just a Message Board forum term. I assume it's because the thread develops as it goes along but topic would be more appropriate. When a thread departs from it's original point - as this one is about to :D  - it's described as Off Topic. It's a mystery.[/#000ff]
m
l
August 12, 2010 1:29:18 PM

arges86 said:
Have you tried putting one stick only in the second slot, as opposed to just slot 1 and seeing if it works or not (this may indicate if its a bad slot on the motherboard)

You can also try running a Linux Live CD to see whether the error is hardware/software based.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16666/diagnose-hardware-...
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/LiveCD

hope these help

Yes, I tried all possible combinations. I still dont think it's a hardware problem.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
August 12, 2010 6:38:20 PM

karen cartland said:
Yes, I tried all possible combinations. I still dont think it's a hardware problem.

I Googled to check the spec of that board to make sure it didn't want DDR3 but instead I found this "*Due to AMD CPU limitation, DDR2 1066 is supported by AM2+ CPU for one DIMM per channel only." I have to admit I can't make out what it's trying to say but post it in case other posters may find it relevant.

When you say you checked all possible combinations, does the new memory work with W7 in either slot? Finally, will Windows start in Safe Mode with both sticks in?

m
l
August 12, 2010 8:28:11 PM

My memory runs at 667 so that is not an issue. What is though, is that after checking with Centon I found out my memory runs at 1.8 volts But my ASUS M Board only goes down to 2.05 volts so the Auto setting is no good. I set it to 2.05 and it still doesnt work. So I have to change Motherboards or Memory . The Board is cheaper .Also Ubuntu wouldnt load properly, so to those who pointed me in the right direction. Thank you very much.
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 370 $ Windows 7
August 12, 2010 9:11:55 PM

Did you update the BIOS on the motherboard? That may fix the memory issue so you don't have to buy either new RAM or a motherboard.
m
l
August 12, 2010 11:02:14 PM

hang-the-9 said:
Did you update the BIOS on the motherboard? That may fix the memory issue so you don't have to buy either new RAM or a motherboard.

Yes I did but not to the latest. Good idea might as well try it.
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 370 $ Windows 7
August 13, 2010 1:12:10 PM

karen cartland said:
Yes I did but not to the latest. Good idea might as well try it.

New BIOS revisions tend to add CPU support and better RAM compatability if needed and the company is willing to do the work to update things.

Updating the BIOS to not the latest version is not a good idea unless you read about known issues with the new version.
m
l
August 13, 2010 3:33:05 PM

The first revision I used was to correct memory problems. I tried the newest version and nothing changed. I think that in order to change to voltage the proper resistors have to be present on the mother board. If they are not there software alone cant reduce the voltage
m
l
a b } Memory
a c 370 $ Windows 7
August 16, 2010 5:43:41 PM

If you ONLY use the new memory you added, does the computer start normally? Have you tried that already? Maybe the new RAM has some compatability issues with the motherboard.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b $ Windows 7
August 16, 2010 6:42:59 PM

hang-the-9 said:
If you ONLY use the new memory you added, does the computer start normally? Have you tried that already? Maybe the new RAM has some compatability issues with the motherboard.

I reckon it's worse than incompatible if it's being fed 10% too much power - it's probably toast by now!

m
l
a b } Memory
a c 209 $ Windows 7
August 16, 2010 7:02:58 PM

karen cartland said:
Why cant it just say something like Topic or Message instead of thread?
If you imagine this entire site as a "tapestry" of computer information, each one of these topics is like a "thread" running through the fabric. You can follow along reading each post, just as a single thread in a piece of cloth weaves it's own course.

Computerdom is full of words that have borrowed their meaning from non-computer sources. Terms like "web", "folder", "crash", etc. are all words that mean something different when used with computers, but can trace their origins from the meanings of the terms when used in everyday situations.
m
l
!