Disappointed in the Asus A7V333...

G

Well, I must say I'm very disappointed in Asus. I've been considering getting this board since its review on Tom's Hardware but as I read these forums I notice a LOT of people are having problems with it. This board seemed great too...the thermal overload protection, the voice diagnostic, the mylogo thingy, and loads of jumpers to tweak. Has anyone had success AT ALL with this board using an Athlon XP? I really don't want to give up hope in Asus, I love their mobos. On a side note, does the Alpha PAL 8045 heatsink fit on this board?

hypokondriak

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
Personally I like mine quite a bit. I have had nothing but success running it in non-overclocked mode (haven't done too much overclocking yet).

It seems like one of the limitations is the ability to adjust the voltage for your RAM/AGP. For some this is probably a larger setback than it is for me... (I'm not a huge overclocking guy).

Would I recommend the board? Yes. Is it the best board available? Probably not but depending on who you talk to you'll get a different story.

I've always heard/had nothing but good experience with Asus and I know many others who have. I stick with the brands I am comfortable with - if you focus on anything too much you'll find enough flaws to make you think twice.

AMD XP 1800
Asus A7V333
512 MB Crucial Micron
Asus G4 ti4000

G

I, too, prefer Asus quite a bit. I've just heard a lot of horror stories with the board...I will most likely go with this one though; It has all the features I like. Do you know if the socket could fit an 80mm x 80mm heatsink (the size of the PAL 8045)? Asus hasn't returned my email about it.

BoBBoB

Distinguished
May 29, 2002
In regards to that board, yeah, I built a XP 2000+, DDR 333, G3TI200 system about 3 days ago. All functions worked wonders. Though the voice diagnostic begins to get irritating after your tenth boot, I had absolutelly no problems with the board. I was thoroughly impressed.

hypokondriak

Distinguished
May 16, 2002
I should also add a buddy of mine built an A7V333 / XP 1800 a week ago too and his has had no problems.

There are plenty working fine... problem is most people come to forums looking for help and as a result you'll get a negative view.

TheMaverick

Distinguished
May 13, 2002
My A7V333 works great I love it. Havent had any problems with it.

However my RAID 0 Craped out but I think that's the hard drives not the Motherboard

AMD XP 1900+
A7V-333
Geforce 3 TI 200
PC2100 512MB

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
dont care much for asus personally.
they always seem to manage to produce mediocre overclocking boards.

too many jumpers and gadgets, not enough hardcore features.
i love my epox. plus your big heatsink will fit on the 8k3+ :)

<font color=red>MABACITISS</font color=red>: Movement Against Boasting About CPU Idle Temps & Idle System Stability!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by lhgpoobaa on 05/29/02 10:47 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
pretty good.
though its best if you do a windows reinstall after putting it in. i had a few bugs due to win2k not detecting hardware properly.

bust since then its been great.
lots of options to tweak.

<font color=red>MABACITISS</font color=red>: Movement Against Boasting About CPU Idle Temps & Idle System Stability!

Xaos

Distinguished
May 21, 2001
I'm on my third A7V333 board in just over a month. Normally I'd recommend anything by Asus, but from my experience I'd steer clear of this board.

Give me Convenience or Give me Death!