File creation and modification dates

I have had to reinstall XP Home but also had this problem with original install. I have McAfee Firewall and Virus Scan that I keep upto date and run Stinger as well.
After install, many files have the date I did the install as the creation date and the real creation date that is on the install CD as the modification date. Other files (and these are all system and install files, not programs) have just the date I installed as both created and modified date. Is this standard?

This is not unusual,.
When Windows Updates and Service Packs are applied it will show that date as Date Created and leave Date modified as the original file date.

My systems show lots of files Created at the time of updates and the original install date with mostly all of them showing Date Modified as XP re4lease version date