Latitude vs.Inspiron

Is there GENERAL difference between these two?

Mel
17 answers Last reply
More about latitude inspiron

    MZB wrote:

    > Is there GENERAL difference between these two?
    >
    > Mel

    The Lat's are more geared toward business users; they are more rugged,
    generally offer a trackpoint (in addition to a touchpad), and they are
    more likely to have more aggressive components (eg. the D610 has the
    newer 7X0 processor, the I600m still uses the older 7Y5 processors where
    Y=X-1). A side benefit of going Lat is that they will include a base 3
    yr warranty and you can still ask to have the Windows install CD
    included with the order.

    Nicholas Andrade wrote:

    >> Is there GENERAL difference between these two?

    > A side benefit of going Lat is that they will include a base 3 yr
    > warranty and you can still ask to have the Windows install CD included
    > with the order.

    I've received (without ordering anything special) a Windows installation CD
    with both Inspirons I bought: 7500 (Win2k) and 8200 (WinXP).

    Gerhard

    >The Lat's are more geared toward business users; they are more rugged,
    >generally offer a trackpoint (in addition to a touchpad), and they are
    >more likely to have more aggressive components (eg. the D610 has the
    >newer 7X0 processor, the I600m still uses the older 7Y5 processors where
    >Y=X-1). A side benefit of going Lat is that they will include a base 3
    >yr warranty and you can still ask to have the Windows install CD
    >included with the order.

    Which raises an interesting question. Why is it harder to get a
    warranty on the "more rugged" machines?

    -Joel

    Free 35mm lens & digital camera reviews: http://www.exc.com/photography

    "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote:

    > >The Lat's are more geared toward business users; they are more rugged,
    > >generally offer a trackpoint (in addition to a touchpad), and they are
    > >more likely to have more aggressive components (eg. the D610 has the
    > >newer 7X0 processor, the I600m still uses the older 7Y5 processors where
    > >Y=X-1). A side benefit of going Lat is that they will include a base 3
    > >yr warranty and you can still ask to have the Windows install CD
    > >included with the order.
    >
    > Which raises an interesting question. Why is it harder to get a
    > warranty on the "more rugged" machines?

    I'm not sure what you mean.

    Not only do the "more rugged" machines typically have better standard
    warrantees, purchasing them also gives the buyer more options, as far
    as the level of warranty purchased.

    Notan

    "Gerhard Fiedler" <lists@connectionbrazil.com> wrote in message
    > Nicholas Andrade wrote:
    >
    >>> Is there GENERAL difference between these two?
    >
    >> A side benefit of going Lat is that they will include a base 3 yr
    >> warranty and you can still ask to have the Windows install CD included
    >> with the order.
    >
    > I've received (without ordering anything special) a Windows installation
    > CD
    > with both Inspirons I bought: 7500 (Win2k) and 8200 (WinXP).
    >
    > Gerhard

    Yes, and that policy has changed, at least in the US

    Tom> "Gerhard Fiedler" <lists@connectionbrazil.com> wrote in message
    news> 11f5t82j5zb5j$.1i0cw0x8nayzl$.dlg@40tude.net...

    >>> A side benefit of going Lat is that they will include a base 3 yr
    >>> warranty and you can still ask to have the Windows install CD included
    >>> with the order.
    >>
    >> I've received (without ordering anything special) a Windows installation
    >> CD
    >> with both Inspirons I bought: 7500 (Win2k) and 8200 (WinXP).
    >>
    >> Gerhard

    Tom> Yes, and that policy has changed, at least in the US

    With my mother's new Dim 5100, an XP-Home CD came, and no
    resource (driver) cd. This is from Outlet.

    I will be downloading all the drivers and burning her a CD
    with them on it.

    --
    Andrew Hall
    (Now reading Usenet in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell...)

    >> >The Lat's are more geared toward business users; they are more rugged,
    >> >[...]
    >>
    >> Which raises an interesting question. Why is it harder to get a
    >> warranty on the "more rugged" machines?
    >
    >I'm not sure what you mean.

    My experience was that the Inspiron 2200 came with 4 years of on-site
    "everything covered" warranty included for under $800, but the
    original post suggested that the Latitude notebooks are more rugged
    than the Inspirion.

    "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" wrote:

    > >> Which raises an interesting question. Why is it harder to get a
    > >> warranty on the "more rugged" machines?
    > >
    > >I'm not sure what you mean.
    >
    > My experience was that the Inspiron 2200 came with 4 years of on-site
    > "everything covered" warranty included for under $800, but the
    > original post suggested that the Latitude notebooks are more rugged
    > than the Inspirion.

    The Latitudes have always been part of Dell's business line and,
    consequently, are a bit more roadworthy.

    When you say, "4 years of on-site 'everything covered'," what
    kind of time response and, when you're using phone support, is
    it outsourced?

    Somehow, I doubt that $800 is gonna get you a computer *and*
    top-of-the-line support.

    Notan

    <ahall@no-spam-panix.com> wrote in message

    > Tom> "Gerhard Fiedler" <lists@connectionbrazil.com> wrote in message
    > news> 11f5t82j5zb5j$.1i0cw0x8nayzl$.dlg@40tude.net...

    > included
    > >>
    > >> I've received (without ordering anything special) a Windows
    > installation
    > >> CD
    > >> with both Inspirons I bought: 7500 (Win2k) and 8200 (WinXP).
    > >>
    > >> Gerhard
    >
    > Tom> Yes, and that policy has changed, at least in the US
    >
    > With my mother's new Dim 5100, an XP-Home CD came, and no
    > resource (driver) cd. This is from Outlet.
    >
    > I will be downloading all the drivers and burning her a CD
    > with them on it.
    >

    > --
    > Andrew Hall

    Interestingly, my outlet I9300 came with media too. My 'regular' I6000 did
    not automatically (same media though).

    Have to say I love both and both are very rugged

    Tom

    to add to this confusion... i recently received a replacement hard disk for
    a laptop that did not come with a windows cd... but the replacement hard
    disk came with a cd! i never made the windows cd as i already have plenty,
    but it was a nice surprise.

    as for latitude vs inspiron... when people say that the latitude are more
    geared toward business that means the following... 'real' docking stations
    are available for some latitude models but no inspiron models, longer
    product life cycle in the latitude line means that the first laptop a
    company deploys is the same as the late one deployed months later, and some
    models are the same as latitude in almost every way except the quality of
    the case.... but having said all that, just get which ever is a better
    value for you at the time when you need to buy... the prices sea saw between
    home sales and business sales... shop hard and get a great value.

    Christopher Muto wrote:
    > as for latitude vs inspiron... when people say that the latitude are more
    > geared toward business that means the following... 'real' docking stations
    > are available for some latitude models but no inspiron models, longer
    > product life cycle in the latitude line means that the first laptop a
    > company deploys is the same as the late one deployed months later, and some
    > models are the same as latitude in almost every way except the quality of
    > the case....

    Along those lines I also noticed Lat's tend to include real serial and
    parallel ports, but most of the newer inspirons do not (only the I600m
    seems to be the exception).

    >When you say, "4 years of on-site 'everything covered'," what
    >kind of time response and, when you're using phone support, is
    >it outsourced?

    Well, that's sort of a sore topic. The promise is next-day on-site.

    Over the years, I've needed support four times. The first three Dell
    came the next day and fixed everything.

    Last time (and I spent quite a bit of time on this forum complaining
    about Dell's response time), it took Dell over a week.

    But the promise is next-day on-site, everything covered, even if you
    drop the computer.

    -Joel

    Free Torah and Mishna printouts in Hebrew: http://liturgy.exc.com/

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:53:21 GMT, joel@exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
    wrote:

    >>When you say, "4 years of on-site 'everything covered'," what
    >>kind of time response and, when you're using phone support, is
    >>it outsourced?
    >
    >Well, that's sort of a sore topic. The promise is next-day on-site.
    >
    >Over the years, I've needed support four times. The first three Dell
    >came the next day and fixed everything.
    >
    >Last time (and I spent quite a bit of time on this forum complaining
    >about Dell's response time), it took Dell over a week.
    >
    >But the promise is next-day on-site, everything covered, even if you
    >drop the computer.
    >
    >-Joel

    when i purchased my D810 lat i was told that there were only 2 things
    not covered by warranty. one was theft and oddly enough the other was
    animal urine. weird.

    73,
    rich, n9dko

    Rich <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >when i purchased my D810 lat i was told that there were only 2 things
    >not covered by warranty. one was theft and oddly enough the other was
    >animal urine. weird.

    Many other things can be repaired, but either of those require
    complete replacement. Cats have been known to be jealous of their
    owners fascination with 'that other thing that's not me'. 8*|

    Rich wrote:

    > On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 12:53:21 GMT, joel@exc.com (Dr. Joel M. Hoffman)
    > wrote:
    >
    > >>When you say, "4 years of on-site 'everything covered'," what
    > >>kind of time response and, when you're using phone support, is
    > >>it outsourced?
    > >
    > >Well, that's sort of a sore topic. The promise is next-day on-site.
    > >
    > >Over the years, I've needed support four times. The first three Dell
    > >came the next day and fixed everything.
    > >
    > >Last time (and I spent quite a bit of time on this forum complaining
    > >about Dell's response time), it took Dell over a week.
    > >
    > >But the promise is next-day on-site, everything covered, even if you
    > >drop the computer.
    > >
    > >-Joel
    > >
    > when i purchased my D810 lat i was told that there were only 2 things
    > not covered by warranty. one was theft and oddly enough the other was
    > animal urine. weird.

    Animal urine, huh?

    Human urine's OK, though. (I'd love to hear *that* call to Tech Support!) <g>

    As you said, "Weird."

    Notan

    On Thu, 29 Sep 2005 10:11:51 -0400, William P. N. Smith <> wrote:

    >Rich <nobody@nowhere.com> wrote:
    >>when i purchased my D810 lat i was told that there were only 2 things
    >>not covered by warranty. one was theft and oddly enough the other was
    >>animal urine. weird.
    >
    >Many other things can be repaired, but either of those require
    >complete replacement. Cats have been known to be jealous of their
    >owners fascination with 'that other thing that's not me'. 8*|

    LOL...i guess! i asked dell if the warranty would be honored if the
    unit were doused with human urine. they assured me it would and that
    a DNA test would not be ordered. ;o)

    7,
    rich, n9dko

    "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
    > >When you say, "4 years of on-site 'everything covered'," what
    >>kind of time response and, when you're using phone support, is
    >>it outsourced?
    >
    > Well, that's sort of a sore topic. The promise is next-day on-site.

    And it is next day AFTER the tech gets the parts, if the tech is in the
    mood. And no the tech wouldn't meet me in my office, he made me meet him at
    the ship address for the computer, my home, which meant taking a day off.
    Then he tried to convince me to let him remove software from my computer
    rather than replacing the motherboard as directed by Dell.

Dell Latitude Inspiron Computers Product