  • Microsoft
  • Favorites
  • Windows XP
May 1, 2004 8:56:02 AM

Just upgraded to XP from 98 ME. I cannot find any of my favorites on Internet Explorer?. Does the system delete them?

More about : favorites

Anonymous
May 1, 2004 11:01:04 AM

After reistalled I lost Favorites and Spelling check,How do I get them back ?Have Dell SP 2000.
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 5:21:25 PM

Steve wrote:
> Just upgraded to XP from 98 ME. I cannot find any of my favorites on
> Internet Explorer?. Does the system delete them?

C:\Documents and Settings\[your account name]\Favorites

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Kath,
Thanks for the reply, but that folder does not contain my favorites before I installed XP. Does the XP upgrade process save favorites in another location which can then be imported (similar to e-mail)?
Thanks again
Steve
Anonymous
May 1, 2004 9:49:07 PM

Steve wrote:
> Kath,
> Thanks for the reply, but that folder does not contain my favorites
> before I installed XP. Does the XP upgrade process save favorites in
> another location which can then be imported (similar to e-mail)?
> Thanks again
> Steve

Have you tried a search for them? AFAIK, an upgrade should preserve
installed/personal stuff. Having said that, I did a clean install of XP
and already had backups of my mail, docs, favorites etc., for just such
an eventuality!

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

| "Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| Just upgraded to XP from 98 ME. I cannot find any of my favorites on
| Internet Explorer?. Does the system delete them?

An upgrade should not delete your Microsoft Internet Explorer
favorites. And according to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
Article this problem might be due to the fact that you created a new
user during the upgrade process and are now logged on as that new
user. The solution is to log on as the original user account that has
your favorites. For more information see the following Microsoft
Knowledge Base article:

KB307229 - Icons, Favorites, E-Mail Messages, and Customization Is
Missing After Upgrade to Windows XP Professional
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp...;en-us;307229

And if that does not help...

- If you did not create profiles on your Windows 98 SE computer then
look for your favorites in the following folder:

C:Windows\Favorites

If you did create profiles then look for your favorites in the
following folder:

C:\Windows\Profiles\<name>\Favorites

where <name> is the name you used to log in to Windows.
May 5, 2004 8:51:05 PM

Kath,

A quick note to say thank you. The favorites were there all the time - I expected them in a different location, but all is now well.
Now all I have to do is work out why Outlook Express spell checker does not work. I have Word 97 and a fully functioning spell checker there. Is it compatible with OE?

Thanks
Steve

----- Kath Adams wrote: -----

Steve wrote:
> Kath,
> Thanks for the reply, but that folder does not contain my favorites
> before I installed XP. Does the XP upgrade process save favorites in
> another location which can then be imported (similar to e-mail)?
> Thanks again
> Steve

Have you tried a search for them? AFAIK, an upgrade should preserve
installed/personal stuff. Having said that, I did a clean install of XP
and already had backups of my mail, docs, favorites etc., for just such
an eventuality!

--
Kath Adams
MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 11:54:41 AM

Steve, thanks for the feedback about your Favorites.

For your spellcheck problem -
The most common problem with WinXP and Office 97 is that Csapi3T1.dll is
missing from the PROOF folder (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
Shared\PROOF).

You can expand it from CSAPI3T1.DL_ in the \i386 directory on your WinXP
CD.
Go to Start | Run and type this command:

expand x:\i386\CSAPI3T1.DL_ C:\CSAPI3T1.DLL

Where X: is your CD drive. Then move it from the root directory of C:
the PROOF folder. Some people also have to put it in the Outlook
Express
program folder.

See this link for added help.
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm