Where are my favorites

Just upgraded to XP from 98 ME. I cannot find any of my favorites on Internet Explorer?. Does the system delete them?
7 answers Last reply
More about where favorites

    After reistalled I lost Favorites and Spelling check,How do I get them back ?Have Dell SP 2000.

    Steve wrote:
    > Just upgraded to XP from 98 ME. I cannot find any of my favorites on
    > Internet Explorer?. Does the system delete them?

    C:\Documents and Settings\[your account name]\Favorites

    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    Kath,
    Thanks for the reply, but that folder does not contain my favorites before I installed XP. Does the XP upgrade process save favorites in another location which can then be imported (similar to e-mail)?
    Thanks again
    Steve

    Steve wrote:
    > Kath,
    > Thanks for the reply, but that folder does not contain my favorites
    > before I installed XP. Does the XP upgrade process save favorites in
    > another location which can then be imported (similar to e-mail)?
    > Thanks again
    > Steve

    Have you tried a search for them? AFAIK, an upgrade should preserve
    installed/personal stuff. Having said that, I did a clean install of XP
    and already had backups of my mail, docs, favorites etc., for just such
    an eventuality!

    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    | "Steve" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | Just upgraded to XP from 98 ME. I cannot find any of my favorites on
    | Internet Explorer?. Does the system delete them?

    An upgrade should not delete your Microsoft Internet Explorer
    favorites. And according to the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
    Article this problem might be due to the fact that you created a new
    user during the upgrade process and are now logged on as that new
    user. The solution is to log on as the original user account that has
    your favorites. For more information see the following Microsoft
    Knowledge Base article:

    KB307229 - Icons, Favorites, E-Mail Messages, and Customization Is
    Missing After Upgrade to Windows XP Professional
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;307229

    And if that does not help...

    - If you did not create profiles on your Windows 98 SE computer then
    look for your favorites in the following folder:

    C:Windows\Favorites

    If you did create profiles then look for your favorites in the
    following folder:

    C:\Windows\Profiles\<name>\Favorites

    where <name> is the name you used to log in to Windows.

    Kath,

    A quick note to say thank you. The favorites were there all the time - I expected them in a different location, but all is now well.
    Now all I have to do is work out why Outlook Express spell checker does not work. I have Word 97 and a fully functioning spell checker there. Is it compatible with OE?

    Thanks
    Steve

    ----- Kath Adams wrote: -----

    Steve wrote:
    > Kath,
    > Thanks for the reply, but that folder does not contain my favorites
    > before I installed XP. Does the XP upgrade process save favorites in
    > another location which can then be imported (similar to e-mail)?
    > Thanks again
    > Steve

    Have you tried a search for them? AFAIK, an upgrade should preserve
    installed/personal stuff. Having said that, I did a clean install of XP
    and already had backups of my mail, docs, favorites etc., for just such
    an eventuality!

    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    Steve, thanks for the feedback about your Favorites.

    For your spellcheck problem -
    The most common problem with WinXP and Office 97 is that Csapi3T1.dll is
    missing from the PROOF folder (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft
    Shared\PROOF).

    You can expand it from CSAPI3T1.DL_ in the \i386 directory on your WinXP
    CD.
    Go to Start | Run and type this command:

    expand x:\i386\CSAPI3T1.DL_ C:\CSAPI3T1.DLL

    Where X: is your CD drive. Then move it from the root directory of C:
    the PROOF folder. Some people also have to put it in the Outlook
    Express
    program folder.

    See this link for added help.
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/spellcheck.htm

    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    Steve wrote:
    > Kath,
    >
    > A quick note to say thank you. The favorites were there all the time
    > - I expected them in a different location, but all is now well.
    > Now all I have to do is work out why Outlook Express spell checker
    > does not work. I have Word 97 and a fully functioning spell checker
    > there. Is it compatible with OE?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Steve
    >
    > ----- Kath Adams wrote: -----
    >
    > Steve wrote:
    > > Kath,
    > > Thanks for the reply, but that folder does not contain my
    > favorites > before I installed XP. Does the XP upgrade process
    > save favorites in > another location which can then be imported
    > (similar to e-mail)? > Thanks again
    > > Steve
    >
    > Have you tried a search for them? AFAIK, an upgrade should
    > preserve installed/personal stuff. Having said that, I did a
    > clean install of XP and already had backups of my mail, docs,
    > favorites etc., for just such an eventuality!
    >
    > --
    > Kath Adams
    > MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

Internet Explorer Microsoft Favorites Windows XP