NEED HELP WITH BUYING NEW MB!!!!

murdoK

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
I have a pentium 4 now, and i want to get a new mb to build on. I play alot of games and do a lot of 3d rendering and mp3 encoding. These are the parts in my current system that i will keep, and just add my new processor and try to find which mb to buy, Heres what i have:

P4 2.4 northwood (god i love my dad, brings them home from intel for free)
512 mb ddr 2700 ram
ATI raedon 8500 running at 295/295 stable
Seagate Barracuda IV 80gb 7200 ata100 (want to get another one and do raid 0, if it is even worth it)
Audigy Sound Card
yamaha 24x burner
Hp Dvd +rw 100i
Windows XP pro

I want a motherboard that supports ddr 333, i want to oc the bus to about 166 or so, and i want to know if i should try to get a boards with raid 0 (will it help my gaming or application performance?) USB is good, as well as onboard lan. I am not sure what chipset to go with, or if i should wait for the via p4x333 to come out.

Thanks alot for ur guys help.... Mike

FatBurger

Illustrious
Looks like you need a new keyboard too, your caps lock key is stuck.

Don't go with the Via chipset, I don't like their P4 chipsets. Grab an i845E/G, that'll probably be your best bet.

RAID won't help game performance (except for level loading times).

Hey, can you send a 2.4 my way? Actually, can you send a couple dozen? :tongue:

<font color=blue>Hi mom!</font color=blue>

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
If you really want DDR, then get an Asus P4S533 otherwise, get RDRAM and an ABit TH7-II. BTW, is it a Northwood B or A?

:wink: <b><i>"A penny saved is a penny earned!"</i></b> :wink:

murdoK

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2002
it is a northwood A. I have heard alot about the ASUS. how good is it for overclocking? The board i have now is some stupid reference board that i cant flash the bios or get my northwood to post in, but it was free to, and it has ddr 266.