UsernameX

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2006
Ok so I've been thinking about games with the added physics processing capabilities. Won't this make game evens more realistic or eventually make some things indistinguishable from real life situations?

The reason I say this is when another bigot comes around and says since physics processing is now "the be all cause all" of certian real life situations. (IE: something like Columbine Highschool or doing something stupid like reanacting something they saw in a game) In some respects what you saw in the game is what exactly would happen in real life, no?

Granted it still is a game and in no way do I believe games cause any human being to kill because what they see or do in a game, but it's now "Realistic" so won't this change things now?

Just my thoughts. What do you guys think?

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
I had to reread your post to get what you were aiming at.

Adding physics is a minor increase in the realism of games.

vindaloopie

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
there has been some research showing that games that look "too real" dont have any sort of draw to them
and in terms of realism, who wants to go shoot someone in game that looks totally real

think your a bit short of a biscuit if you do tbh

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
Granted it still is a game and in no way do I believe games cause any human being to kill because what they see or do in a game, but it's now "Realistic" so won't this change things now?

Just my thoughts. What do you guys think?

Why is it always kill kill kill?

How about “Does the realistic “physics” in DOABW have an effect on you?” ?
:p

SciFiMan

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
I agree. The point of added physics in games won't be the parts about killing. Games do that very well now. What we need, or at least what I'm wanting, is the added realizm of objects behaving correctly. Empty soda cans on the floor should move when kicked, and crush when stomped on by my combat boots. If it's snowing outside and I'm a sniper, then as the round progresses I should eventually become covered and hidden by snow. If there is a table lamp why not use my knife to cut the cord and then the cord becomes a weapon to strangle (okay, maybe it is about the killing :? ) the bad guy. Or pick up that lamp and drop it over the balcony onto someones head. Or move a wooden crate so I can jump up onto a roof. Or destroy the tanks tread so it can't move, but the turret still works. Knock down any door to get inside any building. Start an avalanche of rocks to block a road. FEAR had hammers laying around everywhere but I couldn't use them. Also tons of cleaning bottles in closets but I couldn't pour on the floor to make it slippery or flamable to impair the bad guys.

My point is that when every object has physics and AI attached to it, then my ability to use the environment to solve problems becomes real.

lordslashstab

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
hahah, Like take the oh so overrated oblivion for instance. Go in game and find a feather (usually on a desk) pick it up and drop it. Listen to it thud as it hits the floor. OH not to mention there is no air in this virtual world for the feather's resistance on falling either.

choknuti

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2006
My point is that when every object has physics and AI attached to it, then my ability to use the environment to solve problems becomes real.

That got me thinking. If that is all that’s required for “realistic” physics what’s stopping people from putting that load on the processor. Specially considering that for most games the bottle neck is the VC and that new generation multicore processors are out? :roll:

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
I agree. The point of added physics in games won't be the parts about killing. Games do that very well now. What we need, or at least what I'm wanting, is the added realizm of objects behaving correctly. Empty soda cans on the floor should move when kicked, and crush when stomped on by my combat boots.

The majority of shooters today won't even render your combat boots when you kick the soda can. FEAR does, btw.