HP Pavilion n5425 mini-pci wireless

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

A friend has a HP Pavilion N5425 laptop,
but I have not seen it in person as yet....
Doing a little web surfing, it seems like the lapptop has a mini-pci slot,
but I'm not sure how it is normally used - modem, Ethernet, etc ?

What is normally plugged into the mini-pci slot,
and will it support a wireless mini-pci card ?
ie - are there mini antennas inside the laptop cover + mini coax connectors
?

I have several Dell C610 laptops with the internal mini-pci wireless card...
4 answers Last reply
More about pavilion n5425 mini wireless
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Phil Schuman" <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote in message
    >A friend has a HP Pavilion N5425 laptop,
    > but I have not seen it in person as yet....
    > Doing a little web surfing, it seems like the lapptop has a mini-pci slot,
    > but I'm not sure how it is normally used - modem, Ethernet, etc ?
    >
    > What is normally plugged into the mini-pci slot,
    > and will it support a wireless mini-pci card ?
    > ie - are there mini antennas inside the laptop cover + mini coax connectors

    I had an Omnibook 500 which had the network (wired) and modem on the internal
    wireless card. The Omnibook 510 used the mini PCI card for IR, which I did not
    need. I removed that and put in a mini-PCI 802.11g card. It has two miniature
    coax connectors, I bought antennas on eBay and mounted them in the display
    section and routed the coax internally to the card. Works for me. I do not
    know what the N5425 is using the mini PCI card for, but I would expect that the
    notebook does not have the antennas installed.

    Regards,
    Bob Headrick
  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Mini-PCI has become a standard for notebook computers. Any mini-PCI card should
    work if installed properly. Mini-PCI wifi cards have tiny built-in antennae,
    which limit their range compared to either PC Card (aka PCMCIA) or USB wifi
    cards with larger and/or external antennae. I have encountered at least one
    situation in a home wifi network (BTW, home wifi networks are the worst to set
    up) where the mini-PCI wifi card did not have the range and I had to install a
    PCMCIA card and antenna to reach the wifi router at the other end of the house.
    I suppose I could also have used an inexpensive wifi bridge had they been on the
    market at the time... Ben Myers

    On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 03:55:17 GMT, "Phil Schuman"
    <pschuman_nospam_me@interserv.com> wrote:

    >A friend has a HP Pavilion N5425 laptop,
    >but I have not seen it in person as yet....
    >Doing a little web surfing, it seems like the lapptop has a mini-pci slot,
    >but I'm not sure how it is normally used - modem, Ethernet, etc ?
    >
    >What is normally plugged into the mini-pci slot,
    >and will it support a wireless mini-pci card ?
    >ie - are there mini antennas inside the laptop cover + mini coax connectors
    >?
    >
    >I have several Dell C610 laptops with the internal mini-pci wireless card...

  3. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    > Mini-PCI has become a standard for notebook computers. Any mini-PCI card
    should
    > work if installed properly. Mini-PCI wifi cards have tiny built-in
    antennae,
    > which limit their range compared to either PC Card (aka PCMCIA) or USB
    wifi
    > cards with larger and/or external antennae. I have encountered at least
    one
    > situation in a home wifi network (BTW, home wifi networks are the worst to
    set
    > up) where the mini-PCI wifi card did not have the range and I had to
    install a
    > PCMCIA card and antenna to reach the wifi router at the other end of the
    house.
    > I suppose I could also have used an inexpensive wifi bridge had they been
    on the
    > market at the time... Ben Myers

    I'm not sure how other laptops and mini-pci wireless cards are implemented
    but on my Dell C610 laptop the mini-pci card goes into the bottom,
    does not have any onboard antennas,
    and is connected to the physical antennas within the laptop
    by very tiny coax cables and connectors
    that are routed from inside the laptop to the mini-pci area.
  4. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Phil, my Compaq (HP) Presario 2100 did not come with a wireless card so they
    did not put antennas in the case. I suggest you open the mini PCI slot and
    look for the antennas first before buying a card. The antennas for my laptop
    cost only $24, but it took me 2 hours to get about 1/4 of the way into the
    dissembly of the laptop to install the antennas. I had half of my ping pong
    table covered with parts by then and was worried I would not be able to put it
    all back together. So I still use a PCMCIA card for wireless.

    (Yes I have a Broadcom 802.11g card sold by HP I am not using)

    Tim Lange
    West Lafayette, IN
    (Go Boilers!)

    Phil Schuman wrote:
    > A friend has a HP Pavilion N5425 laptop,
    > but I have not seen it in person as yet....
    > Doing a little web surfing, it seems like the lapptop has a mini-pci slot,
    > but I'm not sure how it is normally used - modem, Ethernet, etc ?
    >
    > What is normally plugged into the mini-pci slot,
    > and will it support a wireless mini-pci card ?
    > ie - are there mini antennas inside the laptop cover + mini coax connectors
    > ?
    >
    > I have several Dell C610 laptops with the internal mini-pci wireless card...

Dell Laptops Wireless Mini PCI HP Pavilion Computers