Norton's Antivirus Updates

ty

Greeting: I am running cable whereby I am always on-line and my Norton's Antivirus has been set for automatic updates which never happens. I have to manually run it every time. Why?

Ty wrote:
> Greeting: I am running cable whereby I am always on-line and my
> Norton's Antivirus has been set for automatic updates which never
> happens. I have to manually run it every time. Why?

Hmmm..
I would think you should:

1) Ask the PROPER company for help here (Symantec).
2) Uninstall/Reinstall Symantec AV.

--
<- Shenan ->
--

Ras

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2003

Or could it be that Ty does not have a password or the correct password in
Scheduled Tasks? And if that is the case then he's in the right place!

ras wrote:
> Or could it be that Ty does not have a password or the correct
> password in Scheduled Tasks? And if that is the case then he's in
> the right place!

Unless Ty is running the manual update script for Norton AV as a scheduled
task, which I assume Ty is not because they stated "Norton's Antivirus has
been set for automatic updates", then their password in Scheduled Tasks
should be pretty irrelevant.

--
<- Shenan ->

Your computer still needs to be turned on and any firewall permission set
for the update to run.

"Ty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greeting: I am running cable whereby I am always on-line and my Norton's
Antivirus has been set for automatic updates which never happens. I have to
manually run it every time. Why?

"Ty" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Greeting: I am running cable whereby I am always on-line and my Norton's
Antivirus has been set for automatic updates which never happens. I have to
manually run it every time. Why?

Go to Control Panel, Schedule Tasks. Check that you have Symantec NetDetect
listed as a task. If so, are there any problems listed under Status?

If it is not listed, you can add it. The path is: "C:\Program
Files\Symantec\LiveUpdate\NDETECT.EXE" {if you installed Norton on Drive C.
If not, change the drive letter}.

You can also open Norton Anti-Virus and click on Help and Support and then
select Help and Support and go to Symantec auto support web site. I have
used this site before with good results.

Don

stell wrote:
: Your computer still needs to be turned on and any firewall permission
: set for the update to run.
:
:
What part of this sentence did you NOT understand?
<snip> I am running cable whereby I am always on-line .

"It's Only me" <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
> stell wrote:
>> Your computer still needs to be turned on and any firewall permission
>> set for the update to run.
>>

> What part of this sentence did you NOT understand?
> <snip> I am running cable whereby I am always on-line .

So?
Are you under the impression that machines connected to cable can't be
turned off?
Or that if you're connected via cable a firewall can't block programs?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"It's Only me" <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
> stell wrote:
> : Your computer still needs to be turned on and any firewall permission
> : set for the update to run.
> :
> :
> What part of this sentence did you NOT understand?
> <snip> I am running cable whereby I am always on-line .

If the computer is turned off it cannot connect unless it is set to turn
itself on. Programs do *not* run on a machine that is turned off. If you
meant that you leave your machine powered on 24/7 you should have said so.
There's a big difference.

Firewalls can and will block connecting to NA for the download. i.e. I don't
give NA update server rights because it continually wants to connect for
updates (even tho it is not checked to update automatically) When I want to
do a manual update I need to give it permission to act as a server.

I too am on cable and always on-line so I *do* understand.

:: stell wrote:
::: Your computer still needs to be turned on and any firewall
::: permission set for the update to run.
:::
:::
:: What part of this sentence did you NOT understand?
:: <snip> I am running cable whereby I am always on-line .
::
::
: If the computer is turned off it cannot connect unless it is set to
: turn itself on. Programs do *not* run on a machine that is turned
: off. If you meant that you leave your machine powered on 24/7 you
: should have said so. There's a big difference.
:
: Firewalls can and will block connecting to NA for the download. i.e.
: I don't give NA update server rights because it continually wants to
: connect for updates (even tho it is not checked to update
: automatically) When I want to do a manual update I need to give it
: permission to act as a server.
:
: I too am on cable and always on-line so I *do* understand.

Please accept my humble apologies.

> stell wrote:
> : "It's Only me" <NOSPAM@NOSPAM.COM> wrote in message
> : news:%23KM8jbHMEHA.1156@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> :: stell wrote:
> ::: Your computer still needs to be turned on and any firewall
> ::: permission set for the update to run.
> :::
> :::
> :: What part of this sentence did you NOT understand?
> :: <snip> I am running cable whereby I am always on-line .
> ::
> ::
> : If the computer is turned off it cannot connect unless it is set to
> : turn itself on. Programs do *not* run on a machine that is turned
> : off. If you meant that you leave your machine powered on 24/7 you
> : should have said so. There's a big difference.
> :
> : Firewalls can and will block connecting to NA for the download. i.e.
> : I don't give NA update server rights because it continually wants to
> : connect for updates (even tho it is not checked to update
> : automatically) When I want to do a manual update I need to give it
> : permission to act as a server.
> :
> : I too am on cable and always on-line so I *do* understand.
>
> Please accept my humble apologies.

Accepted and thank you.