Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

How do I set Bios to boot off CD first

Tags:
  • Dell
  • BIOS
  • Boot
  • CD-Rom
  • Computers
Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 1:20:24 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have a Intel Pentium III 800 MHz 128 in a dell Dimension 4100, and
would like to set it so it boots from CD first, for a linux live cd. I
have CD rom set a secondary Master. Would I have to set it to master?

More about : set bios boot

Anonymous
September 27, 2005 4:34:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"How Do I Configure My DellT DimensionT 4100 to Boot from the CD Drive?"
http://tinyurl.com/adts6

Ted Zieglar

"bdeditch" <bdeditch@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1127794824.781268.4270@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I have a Intel Pentium III 800 MHz 128 in a dell Dimension 4100, and
> would like to set it so it boots from CD first, for a linux live cd. I
> have CD rom set a secondary Master. Would I have to set it to master?
>
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 11:30:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

No. You just need to change the boot order in the bios

I already tried this Johnny and it did not work
Related resources
September 28, 2005 4:12:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:20:24 -0700, bdeditch wrote:

> I have a Intel Pentium III 800 MHz 128 in a dell Dimension 4100, and
> would like to set it so it boots from CD first, for a linux live cd. I
> have CD rom set a secondary Master. Would I have to set it to master?

No. You just need to change the boot order in the bios.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 4:17:04 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"johnny" <johnny@n0sq.us> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.09.28.00.12.48.255078@n0sq.us...
> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:20:24 -0700, bdeditch wrote:
>
>> I have a Intel Pentium III 800 MHz 128 in a dell Dimension 4100, and
>> would like to set it so it boots from CD first, for a linux live cd. I
>> have CD rom set a secondary Master. Would I have to set it to master?
>
> No. You just need to change the boot order in the bios.
>

In fact, ALL of the drives should be set for Cable Select.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 7:04:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"bdeditch" <bdeditch@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:1127874612.077436.235300@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> No. You just need to change the boot order in the bios
>
> I already tried this Johnny and it did not work
>

Did you set the drives back to Cable Select? What CD are you trying to
boot? Have you tried to boot it in another computer?
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 9:02:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I do not think they are set to cable select, I have tried to boot up
the disk from another computor and it worked.
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 1:15:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tom is correct, of course. And this brings up a minor question for me.

Last night I installed a BenQ DVD drive into my Dimension 4500. (The
DW1640 - it rocks.) Reading through the user reviews on Newegg's web site, I
came across several reviewers who wrote that this drive won't work with
Win2K or WinXP unless it's jumpered master/slave as opposed to cable select.
Didn't make sense to me, but I didn't have a lot of disposable time so I
just jumpered the drive to master and stuck it in. So far it works very
well.

So here's my minor question: Every other hard/optical drive I have is
jumpered cable select. Does it make any difference that this drive is
jumpered master?

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:4il_e.108751$4i6.81508@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
> "johnny" <johnny@n0sq.us> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.09.28.00.12.48.255078@n0sq.us...
> > On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:20:24 -0700, bdeditch wrote:
> >
> >> I have a Intel Pentium III 800 MHz 128 in a dell Dimension 4100, and
> >> would like to set it so it boots from CD first, for a linux live cd. I
> >> have CD rom set a secondary Master. Would I have to set it to master?
> >
> > No. You just need to change the boot order in the bios.
> >
>
> In fact, ALL of the drives should be set for Cable Select.
>
>
>
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 9:35:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

As long as you put it on the Master connector (end of the cable), it makes
no difference if you jumpered it CS or Master.


"Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
news:CHw_e.8$XC5.150676@news.sisna.com...
> Tom is correct, of course. And this brings up a minor question for me.
>
> Last night I installed a BenQ DVD drive into my Dimension 4500. (The
> DW1640 - it rocks.) Reading through the user reviews on Newegg's web site,
> I
> came across several reviewers who wrote that this drive won't work with
> Win2K or WinXP unless it's jumpered master/slave as opposed to cable
> select.
> Didn't make sense to me, but I didn't have a lot of disposable time so I
> just jumpered the drive to master and stuck it in. So far it works very
> well.
>
> So here's my minor question: Every other hard/optical drive I have is
> jumpered cable select. Does it make any difference that this drive is
> jumpered master?
>
> --
> Ted Zieglar
> "You can do it if you try."
>
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:4il_e.108751$4i6.81508@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>
>> "johnny" <johnny@n0sq.us> wrote in message
>> news:p an.2005.09.28.00.12.48.255078@n0sq.us...
>> > On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:20:24 -0700, bdeditch wrote:
>> >
>> >> I have a Intel Pentium III 800 MHz 128 in a dell Dimension 4100, and
>> >> would like to set it so it boots from CD first, for a linux live cd. I
>> >> have CD rom set a secondary Master. Would I have to set it to master?
>> >
>> > No. You just need to change the boot order in the bios.
>> >
>>
>> In fact, ALL of the drives should be set for Cable Select.
>>
>>
>>
>
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 9:35:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Thanks Tom. Once I've completely tested the drive, I'm going to switch the
jumper to cable select. I'll bet that nothing bad happens.

--
Ted Zieglar
"You can do it if you try."

"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:KvA_e.109014$4i6.50754@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> As long as you put it on the Master connector (end of the cable), it makes
> no difference if you jumpered it CS or Master.
>
>
> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
> news:CHw_e.8$XC5.150676@news.sisna.com...
> > Tom is correct, of course. And this brings up a minor question for me.
> >
> > Last night I installed a BenQ DVD drive into my Dimension 4500. (The
> > DW1640 - it rocks.) Reading through the user reviews on Newegg's web
site,
> > I
> > came across several reviewers who wrote that this drive won't work with
> > Win2K or WinXP unless it's jumpered master/slave as opposed to cable
> > select.
> > Didn't make sense to me, but I didn't have a lot of disposable time so I
> > just jumpered the drive to master and stuck it in. So far it works very
> > well.
> >
> > So here's my minor question: Every other hard/optical drive I have is
> > jumpered cable select. Does it make any difference that this drive is
> > jumpered master?
> >
> > --
> > Ted Zieglar
> > "You can do it if you try."
> >
> > "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> > news:4il_e.108751$4i6.81508@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
> >>
> >> "johnny" <johnny@n0sq.us> wrote in message
> >> news:p an.2005.09.28.00.12.48.255078@n0sq.us...
> >> > On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:20:24 -0700, bdeditch wrote:
> >> >
> >> >> I have a Intel Pentium III 800 MHz 128 in a dell Dimension 4100, and
> >> >> would like to set it so it boots from CD first, for a linux live cd.
I
> >> >> have CD rom set a secondary Master. Would I have to set it to
master?
> >> >
> >> > No. You just need to change the boot order in the bios.
> >> >
> >>
> >> In fact, ALL of the drives should be set for Cable Select.
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
>
>
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 12:38:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Its a desktop model from about 2001. Now since there was only one hard
drive to begin with or at least I am sure that was the case. When I
opened it up it had 2 hard drives but only one hooked up. Now that I
think about it I am sure that they might have been set to CS. I made
one master and the other slave. It works fine excepot for the booting
up part. I did get it to boot up from the CD , but had to go into Bios
and change some things around. CD Rom is secondary Master



Then you have a defective CD or non-bootable CD in the drive or there's

something seriously wrong with your hardware or in the way the drive is

installed. I would suggest trying to boot from the CD on another PC to
see
if the CD is OK. If it is OK, you probably should check the straps on
the
back of the drives to see if they're properly set as master (MA) or
slave
(SL). There are some systems that use "cable select" (CS) to
automatically
assign master/slave but that requires a special cable. This is not an
all-inclusive check but it's a start. I don't remember if this is a new

laptop but, if it is, Dell tech support should be able to help you. It
would be faster to diagnose with a call to tech support. Keep in mind
that
opening up a laptop is not for the faint of heart and you could mess up

something else if you're not careful - and if it's under warranty I
wouldn't mess with things inside.
September 29, 2005 4:03:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:30:12 -0700, bdeditch wrote:

> No. You just need to change the boot order in the bios
>
> I already tried this Johnny and it did not work

Then you have a defective CD or non-bootable CD in the drive or there's
something seriously wrong with your hardware or in the way the drive is
installed. I would suggest trying to boot from the CD on another PC to see
if the CD is OK. If it is OK, you probably should check the straps on the
back of the drives to see if they're properly set as master (MA) or slave
(SL). There are some systems that use "cable select" (CS) to automatically
assign master/slave but that requires a special cable. This is not an
all-inclusive check but it's a start. I don't remember if this is a new
laptop but, if it is, Dell tech support should be able to help you. It
would be faster to diagnose with a call to tech support. Keep in mind that
opening up a laptop is not for the faint of heart and you could mess up
something else if you're not careful - and if it's under warranty I
wouldn't mess with things inside.
September 29, 2005 4:05:03 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 00:17:04 +0000, Tom Scales wrote:

>
> "johnny" <johnny@n0sq.us> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.09.28.00.12.48.255078@n0sq.us...
>> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:20:24 -0700, bdeditch wrote:
>>
>>> I have a Intel Pentium III 800 MHz 128 in a dell Dimension 4100, and
>>> would like to set it so it boots from CD first, for a linux live cd. I
>>> have CD rom set a secondary Master. Would I have to set it to master?
>>
>> No. You just need to change the boot order in the bios.
>>
>
> In fact, ALL of the drives should be set for Cable Select.

I prefer not to use CS. Just my preference.
September 29, 2005 4:10:35 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:15:48 -0400, Ted Zieglar wrote:

> Tom is correct, of course. And this brings up a minor question for me.
>
> Last night I installed a BenQ DVD drive into my Dimension 4500. (The
> DW1640 - it rocks.) Reading through the user reviews on Newegg's web site, I
> came across several reviewers who wrote that this drive won't work with
> Win2K or WinXP unless it's jumpered master/slave as opposed to cable select.
> Didn't make sense to me, but I didn't have a lot of disposable time so I
> just jumpered the drive to master and stuck it in. So far it works very
> well.
>
> So here's my minor question: Every other hard/optical drive I have is
> jumpered cable select. Does it make any difference that this drive is
> jumpered master?

CS only works with a special IDE cable that is designed for CS. CS
assigns master/slave based on which IDE connector the drive is attached
to. The master or slave strap on the back of the drive will override this
feature.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 4:33:16 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"johnny" <johnny@n0sq.us> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.09.29.00.05.06.918961@n0sq.us...
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 00:17:04 +0000, Tom Scales wrote:
>
>>
>> "johnny" <johnny@n0sq.us> wrote in message
>> news:p an.2005.09.28.00.12.48.255078@n0sq.us...
>>> On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:20:24 -0700, bdeditch wrote:
>>>
>>>> I have a Intel Pentium III 800 MHz 128 in a dell Dimension 4100, and
>>>> would like to set it so it boots from CD first, for a linux live cd. I
>>>> have CD rom set a secondary Master. Would I have to set it to master?
>>>
>>> No. You just need to change the boot order in the bios.
>>>
>>
>> In fact, ALL of the drives should be set for Cable Select.
>
> I prefer not to use CS. Just my preference.
>

Good for you, but all Dells come with CS cables and drives jumpered as CS.
Seems silly to replace the cables.
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 4:34:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"johnny" <johnny@n0sq.us> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.09.29.00.10.39.452147@n0sq.us...
> On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 09:15:48 -0400, Ted Zieglar wrote:
>
>> Tom is correct, of course. And this brings up a minor question for me.
>>
>> Last night I installed a BenQ DVD drive into my Dimension 4500. (The
>> DW1640 - it rocks.) Reading through the user reviews on Newegg's web
>> site, I
>> came across several reviewers who wrote that this drive won't work with
>> Win2K or WinXP unless it's jumpered master/slave as opposed to cable
>> select.
>> Didn't make sense to me, but I didn't have a lot of disposable time so I
>> just jumpered the drive to master and stuck it in. So far it works very
>> well.
>>
>> So here's my minor question: Every other hard/optical drive I have is
>> jumpered cable select. Does it make any difference that this drive is
>> jumpered master?
>
> CS only works with a special IDE cable that is designed for CS. CS
> assigns master/slave based on which IDE connector the drive is attached
> to. The master or slave strap on the back of the drive will override this
> feature.
>


No, it won't. If you put a drive jumpered Slave on the end of a CS cable,
it will be the master, but unpredictable.

We appreciate your help here, but you may want to learn a little more about
Dells before sharing general knowledge that doesn't apply.
Anonymous
January 24, 2009 10:59:56 PM

KKK I HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEMO last night i made a new partion on my vista hom premuim my master drive, For xp but i know i could not install it while running vista as my os so i went to the bios and set it up and it says that it is no a valid os disk and it is i have set it up on another computer mind you it is from dell and it is a real working copy, BUT know niether os will run and i wasnt able to install xp so i tried to boot vista and the boot manager takes 2 to 3 hours to load and then the os menu takes 3 or 4 and i cant get to the os to delete the other partion and im STUCK
!