Ever call a Nextell user....... ?

Neighbors have Nextell and when you go to call them it says please wait
while we locate the nextell customer. What in the world is that? You wait a
few moments and then it connects either to their voicemail or rings. I find
that strange. Now i do like the ptt feature but with the in network
unlimited now, there is really no need for me. I hit speed dial and talk to
all my buddies that are on verizon. i can't use all my minutes even if i
tried....

brian s.

stan

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Back in the days of "follow me roaming", we used to hear that when calling
Verizon (BAM) cell phones as well. We had to wait while the system decided
what system we were roaming on and forwarded the call to us.

-Stan

"Brian S." <deadhead73@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Neighbors have Nextell and when you go to call them it says please wait
> while we locate the nextell customer. What in the world is that? You wait
> few moments and then it connects either to their voicemail or rings. I
find
> that strange. Now i do like the ptt feature but with the in network
> unlimited now, there is really no need for me. I hit speed dial and talk
> all my buddies that are on verizon. i can't use all my minutes even if i
> tried....
>
> brian s.

thanks, i think i remember when my mom first got a "car phone" and if you
were going to travel you had to enter an extra three digit number or
something when you were out of your home area. But in this day and age it
should go right thru. glad i stayed with vzw..

brian s.
"Stan" <stanncno1spam@noispam.yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Back in the days of "follow me roaming", we used to hear that when calling
> Verizon (BAM) cell phones as well. We had to wait while the system decided
> what system we were roaming on and forwarded the call to us.
>
> -Stan
>
> "Brian S." <deadhead73@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Neighbors have Nextell and when you go to call them it says please wait
> > while we locate the nextell customer. What in the world is that? You
wait
> > few moments and then it connects either to their voicemail or rings. I
> find
> > that strange. Now i do like the ptt feature but with the in network
> > unlimited now, there is really no need for me. I hit speed dial and talk
> > all my buddies that are on verizon. i can't use all my minutes even if i
> > tried....
> >
> > brian s.

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"Brian S." <deadhead73@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Neighbors have Nextell and when you go to call them it says please wait
> while we locate the nextell customer. What in the world is that? You wait
> few moments and then it connects either to their voicemail or rings. I
find
> that strange. Now i do like the ptt feature but with the in network
> unlimited now, there is really no need for me. I hit speed dial and talk
> all my buddies that are on verizon. i can't use all my minutes even if i
> tried....
>
> brian s.

Because nextel doesn't do autonomous registration very well or at all. So if
the handset drops out of the system it takes a long time or never to
reregister itself.

I sometimes work at a location that is heavily shielded and RF coverage is
nill. And often I work there with another guy who has a nextel. If we walk
outside my phone instantly reregisters itself and it gets any messages or
voicemails that were queued. I can call his nextel after we have been
outside for 30 minutes and hear "...please wait while we locate the nextel
customer..."

I totally agree that a full duplex phone conversation is much better than a
simplex walkie talkie conversation.

Brian S. <deadhead73@comcast.net> wrote:
> Neighbors have Nextell and when you go to call them it says please wait
> while we locate the nextell customer. What in the world is that?

Happens all the time when I call my father on Nextel. Somewhat annoying, but
I live with it. He's not going to change carriers. :)

MarkF

"Brian S." <deadhead73@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<YsCdnXt4iO3hDhXd4p2dnA@comcast.com>...
> Neighbors have Nextell and when you go to call them it says please wait
> while we locate the nextell customer. What in the world is that? You wait a
> few moments and then it connects either to their voicemail or rings. I find
> that strange. Now i do like the ptt feature but with the in network
> unlimited now, there is really no need for me. I hit speed dial and talk to
> all my buddies that are on verizon. i can't use all my minutes even if i
> tried....
>
> brian s.

That happens when the person is using Direct Connect and you call on
the phone side. I have never had it happen any other way at anytime
with the dozen of so NEXTEL users that I know and talk to daily.

Mark

"Brian S." <deadhead73@comcast.net> wrote in message news:<_OidnRPeBL3QBRXdRVn-tA@comcast.com>...
> thanks, i think i remember when my mom first got a "car phone" and if you
> were going to travel you had to enter an extra three digit number or
> something when you were out of your home area. But in this day and age it
> should go right thru. glad i stayed with vzw..

Hey Brian,
Just a little reminder... if your roaming on some of Verizon's roaming
partners, you may need to manually register the handset to recieve
incomming calls. For example: last fall, Golden State Cellular, B Side
analog roaming in Tolumne Meadows (Yosemite National Park), required a
*18 SEND to manually register, in order to receive incomming calls.
An outgoing call did not register the phone!. Likewise *560 is used to
manually register on a A Side Verizon roaming partner.

Tip. Store those codes in your phonebook under "Follow Me
Roaming"...whatever. Never know when you might need to do a manual
registration this summer, while travelling. Especially applicable out
west.

-
David

jeff

"MarkF" <KS4VT@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> "Brian S." <deadhead73@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > Neighbors have Nextell and when you go to call them it says please wait
> > while we locate the nextell customer. What in the world is that? You
wait a
> > few moments and then it connects either to their voicemail or rings. I
find
> > that strange. Now i do like the ptt feature but with the in network
> > unlimited now, there is really no need for me. I hit speed dial and talk
> > all my buddies that are on verizon. i can't use all my minutes even if i
> > tried....
> >
> > brian s.
>

> That happens when the person is using Direct Connect and you call on
> the phone side. I have never had it happen any other way at anytime
> with the dozen of so NEXTEL users that I know and talk to daily.
>
> Mark

How on earth would you know that in every instance that you heard this
message the person you were calling was in a Direct Connect conversation?!
You would have to be present to know this, in which case there would be
little point in calling them. I bet really you heard this many times in
which there was no Direct Connect conversation at all, but you just assumed
there was one because you knew of a few times in which it had been like
that.

I had Nextel for a while and this little advertisement of theirs really
annoyed me. I had bought the phone for business use and the last thing I
wanted to do was advertise to my customers that I was a Nextel
user--especially when I was forwarding calls from my office land line
number.

-Jeff

george

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2001

"MarkF" <KS4VT@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> That happens when the person is using Direct Connect and you call on
> the phone side. I have never had it happen any other way at anytime
> with the dozen of so NEXTEL users that I know and talk to daily.
>
> Mark

That is not my experience. If a nextel phone looses signal it simply is not
very good at reregistering itself. I have seen this happen on numerous
occasions.

"George" <George@nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> "MarkF" <KS4VT@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>

>> That happens when the person is using Direct Connect and you call on
>> the phone side. I have never had it happen any other way at anytime
>> with the dozen of so NEXTEL users that I know and talk to daily.
>>
>> Mark
>
> That is not my experience. If a nextel phone looses signal it simply
> is not very good at reregistering itself. I have seen this happen on
> numerous occasions.

Sounds similar, I tried to call my friend for two weeks and kept getting
that message, finally called his wife, he had it on and sitting on his desk,
but said it never rang. When he turned it off and then on again, he had 127
voicemails. Guess that counts as 127 times.

thanks... good point to put them in the phone booke as i won't use them
often. But if i need too, they will always be there.

brian .s

On 23 Apr 2004 23:58:37 -0700, davidlind@my-deja.com (David L) wrote:

>An outgoing call did not register the phone!. Likewise *560 is used to
>manually register on a A Side Verizon roaming partner.

Actually, that should be *350...

-SC
--
Stanley Cline -- sc1 at roamer1 dot org -- http://www.roamer1.org/
"Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might