Linksys Wireless G - Moving Large Files

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Not sure if this is something unique to me but I just installed a
wireless G router from Linksys (WRT54G) and surfing the new and copying
small files between PC's seems ok but if I try to copy large amounts of
data (approx 40 Gigs to a backup drive on another PC on the newtork)
after about 20 minutes the wireless LAN dies. I have to unplug it and
plug it back in for it to re-establish transmission/reception on the
unit. Is this a common occurance? Is copying that much data from one
wireless PC to another a problem? Both PC's are using Linksys wireless G
USB adapters and report Very Good and Excellent reception.

Thanks for any thoughts
TP

AJ

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:14:48 -0400, Tony <askme@nospam.com> wrote:

>Not sure if this is something unique to me but I just installed a
>wireless G router from Linksys (WRT54G) and surfing the new and copying
>small files between PC's seems ok but if I try to copy large amounts of
>data (approx 40 Gigs to a backup drive on another PC on the newtork)
>after about 20 minutes the wireless LAN dies. I have to unplug it and
>plug it back in for it to re-establish transmission/reception on the
>unit. Is this a common occurance? Is copying that much data from one
>wireless PC to another a problem? Both PC's are using Linksys wireless G
>USB adapters and report Very Good and Excellent reception.
>
>Thanks for any thoughts
>TP
Set the nics and WAP MTU to 1492 using DrTCP. If that doesn't help try
the Swedish firmware that's floating around. They love it over at
seattlewireless.

Az

In article <2maegnFkpac8U1@uni-berlin.de>, askme@nospam.com says...
> Not sure if this is something unique to me but I just installed a
> wireless G router from Linksys (WRT54G) and surfing the new and copying
> small files between PC's seems ok but if I try to copy large amounts of
> data (approx 40 Gigs to a backup drive on another PC on the newtork)
> after about 20 minutes the wireless LAN dies. I have to unplug it and
> plug it back in for it to re-establish transmission/reception on the
> unit. Is this a common occurance? Is copying that much data from one
> wireless PC to another a problem? Both PC's are using Linksys wireless G
> USB adapters and report Very Good and Excellent reception.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts
> TP

I have the USR wireless G equipment. I also encountered similar
problems when trying to transfer large files (more than 1 GB) from my
laptop (connected wirelessly) to a desktop computer (connected by
ethernet cable). Both computers run Windows XP. After a few minutes,
the laptop would show an error message saying something about "Network
Unavailable".

I did some searching on the Internet and also found others having a
similar problem. It was suggested that the problem was with the name
resolution.

I temporarily solved the problem by using the IP address (i.e.
//192.168.0.1/share_dir_name) to map the network drives rather than
computer names. This seemed to solve the problem.

I have since gone back to using computer names (i.e.
//computer_name/share_dir_name). The only thing I changed was to enable
NETBIOS over TCP/IP.

Tony <askme@nospam.com> wrote in news:2maegnFkpac8U1@uni-berlin.de:

> Not sure if this is something unique to me but I just installed a
> wireless G router from Linksys (WRT54G) and surfing the new and copying
> small files between PC's seems ok but if I try to copy large amounts of
> data (approx 40 Gigs to a backup drive on another PC on the newtork)
> after about 20 minutes the wireless LAN dies. I have to unplug it and
> plug it back in for it to re-establish transmission/reception on the
> unit. Is this a common occurance? Is copying that much data from one
> wireless PC to another a problem? Both PC's are using Linksys wireless
> USB adapters and report Very Good and Excellent reception.
>
> Thanks for any thoughts

I myself wouldn't try to copy 1 Gig across a wireless let alone 40.
Wireless can be flaky at times for that as you can see, along with being
too slow. If I got a big download or copying huge files to the wireless
laptop, then I do it on the wire connection on the laptop.

On the other hand if this is being done with an XP machine, then WZCS on
XP could be dropping the connection as it seeks out other networks to
connect too.

Duane :)

AHA! I have same problem with belkin router. Sharing via tcpip solves
the problem though!