System Shuts Down

I recently upgraded my Windows ME to Windows Xp. When I
get on the internet after a few minutes I get an error box
that says "Your computer will be shutting down in 1
minutes. This was authorized by NT Authority, and then it
says that the RPC was terminated unexpectedly. Anyone
know how to fix this????
5 answers Last reply
More about system shuts down

    Your computer is now infected with the W32.Blaster.Worm or
    one of its variants. This happened because you have not
    been using an internet connection firewall and have
    apparently neglected to install the critical updates
    available at the Windows Update website.
    -------
    If your computer is constantly attempting to shutdown
    or reboot, quickly go to:

    Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter.
    This opens the Command Prompt window.

    Then type: shutdown -a , and hit enter.

    This should halt the rebooting problem.
    -------
    Then immediately turn-on Windows XP's built-in Firewall:
    (To enable the built-in firewall, go to:
    Control Panel, double-click Networking and Internet
    Connections, then click Network Connections. Right-click
    your connection, then
    Click Properties, and on the Advanced tab, click the option
    "Protect my computer and network..." Note: the built in
    firewall only monitors incoming traffic not outgoing (ie
    spyware, trojans, etc.. you may have on your system).)

    Special note if you use AOL:
    America Online installs its own connection settings that
    override
    the ones that come with Windows XP. America Online's
    connection settings don't include a way to turn on Windows
    XP's
    built-in firewall.

    What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm and Its
    Variants

    A tool is available to remove Blaster worm and Nachi worm
    infections from computers
    that are running Windows 2000 or Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833330

    A security issue has been identified that could allow an
    attacker to
    remotely compromise a computer running Microsoft Windows
    and
    gain complete control over it. You can help protect your
    computer
    by installing this update from Microsoft.
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?
    FamilyId=2354406C-C5B6-44AC-9532-
    3DE40F69C074&displaylang=en

    Above courtesy of MVP Carey

    ***Install a good firewall. ZoneAlarm is a free one you
    can install.
    Install a good anti-virus program making sure you keep
    it's definitions up to date! ***
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-39
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=824146

    What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm

    Protect Your PC

    W32.Blaster.Worm a.k.a. W32/Lovesan.Worm
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm
    ..html

    W32.Blaster.Worm Removal Tool
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm
    ..removal.tool.html

    W32.Welchia.Worm a.k.a. W32/Nachi.Worm
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32
    ..welchia.worm.html

    W32.Welchia.Worm Removal Tool
    http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.welchia.worm
    ..removal.tool.html

    Apparently, your PC is infected with the "Blaster Worm". Use the following
    tools to remove it, then promptly update your PC with the Critical Updates
    available form the Windows Update website.

    If your computer is constantly attempting to shutdown
    or reboot, quickly go to:

    Start > Run and type: CMD , and hit enter.
    This opens the Command Prompt window.

    Then type: shutdown -a , and hit enter.

    This should halt the rebooting problem.

    Then immediately turn-on Windows XP's built-in Firewall:

    Special note if you use AOL:

    America Online installs its own connection settings that override
    the ones that come with Windows XP. America Online's
    connection settings don't include a way to turn on Windows XP's
    built-in firewall.

    Visit the following web site for instructions on downloading
    a FREE firewall program for your computer.

    Ref: http://www.updatexp.com/free.html

    A tool is available to remove Blaster worm and Nachi worm infections from computers
    that are running Windows 2000 or Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833330

    What You Should Know About the Blaster Worm and Its Variants

    3 Steps to Help Ensure your PC is Protected

    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    katie wrote:
    > I recently upgraded my Windows ME to Windows Xp. When I
    > get on the internet after a few minutes I get an error box
    > that says "Your computer will be shutting down in 1
    > minutes. This was authorized by NT Authority, and then it
    > says that the RPC was terminated unexpectedly. Anyone
    > know how to fix this????

    Connected to the internet without proper protection, eh?
    You may have Blaster.
    You may have Sasser.
    You likely have both.

    Congratulations! You have a virus!
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.worm.html
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sasser.b.worm.html

    There are removal instructions there for both versions
    (including tools to help you.)
    Know that even if you have the normal updates for Norton, the definitions
    for "B" were added on May 1. You can go to Symantec's site and get the
    manual update if you like.

    If it starts to shutdown on you, click Start > Run, and enter "shutdown -a".
    (no quotes.) That will stop the shutdown and let you continue fixing.

    Note that Microsoft is not sending you patches in emails nor should you EVER
    open attachments you did not expect in emails. You simply posted your
    un-munged email address to the thousands of newsgroups that this is spread
    to around the world and it has been "harvested".

    My other suggestions to you include:

    Please Notice that if you use AOL, you should at least upgrade to 9.0 or
    greater before doing any of the fixes. I know you can get AOL 9.0 at almost
    any convenience store, gas station, super market or other retail outlet in
    the world, so this should not be a problem.

    Turn on that firewall...
    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/home/using/howto/homenet/icf.asp
    (It has been reported that it now works with AOL 9.0+)

    Make sure you have all the updates (critical) installed from:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/
    (Scan for updates, Review and Install)

    Get rid of the spy/ad/mal-ware..
    (Yes - using MORE than one of these..
    I recommend at least the first three. Also..
    UPDATE the definitions for them before using.)

    Spybot Search and Destroy
    http://www.safer-networking.net/

    Lavasoft AdAware
    http://www.lavasoft.de

    CWSShredder

    Hijack This!
    http://mjc1.com/mirror/hjt/

    I also like "The Cleaner" and "SpywareBlaster" and "SpywareGuard".
    - http://www.moosoft.com/
    - http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

    The first is a PAY product, but useable for 30 days - it has found and
    eliminated problems in the past the others did not. The latter two are
    prevention mechanisms. I like SpywareGuard for those with enough processor
    to have something running like antivirus software - and it prevents browser
    hijacking quite well. SpywareBlaster is a FANTASTIC free product, I suggest
    getting this after you cleanup and keeping it updated as well....

    And Assortment of Others:
    http://spywareinfo.com/

    ALSO - Be sure to IMMUNIZE after you clean up. SpywareBlaster and Spybot
    Search and destroy both have these features - use both!

    After you cleanup your PC somewhat of spy/ad/mal-ware, verify your antivirus
    software is updated and run a full scan of your computer. If you have no
    antivirus software - get one NOW! Grisoft AntiVirus:
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

    Empty your Temporary Internet Files and shrink the size it stores to about
    80 to 120MB (seems to be an optimal size for the normal user)

    - Open ONE copy of Internet Explorer.
    - Select TOOLS -> Internet Options.
    - Under the General tab in the "Temporary Internet Files" section,
    do the following:
    - Click on "Delete Cookies" (click OK)
    - Click on "Settings" and change the
    "Amount of disk space to use:" to something between 80MB
    and 120MB. (Betting it is MUCH larger right now.)
    - Click OK.
    - Click on "Delete Files" and select to
    "Delete all offline contents" (the checkbox) and click
    OK. (If you had a LOT, this could take 2-10 minutes or
    more.)
    - Once it is done, click OK, close Internet Explorer
    - Re-open Internet Explorer.

    Uninstall any software you do not use often/ever. (If you have something
    installed but never use it, uninstall it.) If you go through Control
    Panel -> Add/Remove Programs and see things you seldom if ever use, it is to
    your advantage to remove it.

    Also, if you are tired of Web Page Pop-Ups/Unders.. You could try the
    Google Toolbar.
    http://toolbar.google.com/

    Stop loading applications at logon.. run MSCONFIG and look under the startup
    tab for things you DON'T want to startup! Search the Internet with Google
    to discover what things are safe to remove and what things may even be
    malware infecting your computer.

    Better control your email and lessen the amount of time you spend dealing
    with SPAM:
    SpamBayes
    http://sourceforge.net/projects/spambayes/
    or
    Spamihilator.
    http://www.spamihilator.com

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Could also be the NEW automatic remote worm "Sasser"....

    This page has more information on this worm and how to
    patch your system :-)

    http://www.updatexp.com/sasser-worm.html

    Kind Regards

    Marc Liron
    Microsoft MVP
    http://www.updatexp.com

    this virus has been around for quite a while i first came across it about 2 years ago and below i have written how to fix without having to use any patches that may not work.
    I'm not sure if this works for everyone but it worked on my computer.
    to stop your computer restarting or shutting down you should. ..
    1. open control panel and go to administrative tools and then services.

    2.go down the list and look for nt authority, remote procedure call or what ever service your computer says has failed before it shuts down.

    3. double click on the service and then click the recovery tab.

    4. change first failure from restart the computer to restart service.

    5. do the same for the second and third failure.

    6. then click ok and exit services

    7.Done!

    if your having problems starting your computer for long enough before it crashes then try starting in safe mode...
    by
    raj

Windows XP