XP Pro or Home - what to purchase

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I've been advised to purchase windowsxppro for my home computer, even
though there is no computer network, because the professional version
will run better than the home office version. I'm wondering what
opinions people have about this - is it worth spending the extra money
to keep my system from crashing as often as it has?

I have a Dell Dimension 4100, with sufficient memory for xp. I use
Dragon Naturally Speaking, which seems to make the computer crash more
often, even when I do all the technical things advised to avoid that.
Primary uses are word processing, photo shop, and graphic packages.

Thanks.
19 answers Last reply
More about home purchase
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Gail Gordon wrote:
    > I've been advised to purchase windowsxppro for my home computer, even
    > though there is no computer network, because the professional version
    > will run better than the home office version. I'm wondering what
    > opinions people have about this - is it worth spending the extra money
    > to keep my system from crashing as often as it has?
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 4100, with sufficient memory for xp. I use
    > Dragon Naturally Speaking, which seems to make the computer crash more
    > often, even when I do all the technical things advised to avoid that.
    > Primary uses are word processing, photo shop, and graphic packages.

    No Network?
    No need to remoptely log into your PC?

    Stick with Home Edition.

    --
    <- Shenan ->
    --

    If you want to experiment with the OS, XP Pro has more
    settings you can play with, but otherwise Home and Pro run

    "Shenan Stanley" <news_helper@hushmail.com> wrote in message
    | Gail Gordon wrote:
    | > I've been advised to purchase windowsxppro for my home
    computer, even
    | > though there is no computer network, because the
    professional version
    | > will run better than the home office version. I'm
    wondering what
    | > opinions people have about this - is it worth spending
    the extra money
    | > to keep my system from crashing as often as it has?
    | >
    | > I have a Dell Dimension 4100, with sufficient memory for
    xp. I use
    | > Dragon Naturally Speaking, which seems to make the
    computer crash more
    | > often, even when I do all the technical things advised
    to avoid that.
    | > Primary uses are word processing, photo shop, and
    graphic packages.

    | No Network?
    | No need to remoptely log into your PC?
    |
    | Stick with Home Edition.
    |
    | --
    | <- Shenan ->
    | --

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    On 2 May 2004 14:08:10 -0700, gailsusangordon@yahoo.com (Gail Gordon)
    wrote:

    >I've been advised to purchase windowsxppro for my home computer, even
    >though there is no computer network, because the professional version
    >will run better than the home office version. I'm wondering what
    >opinions people have about this - is it worth spending the extra money
    >to keep my system from crashing as often as it has?
    >
    >I have a Dell Dimension 4100, with sufficient memory for xp. I use
    >Dragon Naturally Speaking, which seems to make the computer crash more
    >often, even when I do all the technical things advised to avoid that.
    >Primary uses are word processing, photo shop, and graphic packages.
    >
    >Thanks.

    For use at home, no network or extra security needed, no joining a
    domain, etc., purchase the Home version. The Pro version will cost
    you over $100 more and does not run any better or faster than the Home
    version. Just make sure your hardware is up to running XP. If you
    have problems with your current OS crashing often, I suggest you fix
    whatever is wrong before upgrading.
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Greetings --

    Whomever offered you that advice should stick to their day-job
    flipping burgers at McDonalds. They certainly don't know enough about
    WinXP to be offering advice.

    The two versions are _identical_ when it comes to performance,
    stability, and device driver and software application compatibility,
    but are intended to meet different functionality, networking,
    security, and ease-of-use needs, in different environments. The most
    significant differences are that WinXP Pro allows up to 10
    simultaneous inbound network connections while WinXP Home only allows
    only 5, WinXP Pro is designed to join a Microsoft domain while WinXP
    Home cannot, and only WinXP Pro supports file encryption and IIS.

    Windows XP Comparison Guide
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/choosing2.asp

    Which Edition Is Right for You
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

    Windows XP Home Edition vs. Professional Edition
    http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/windowsxp_home_pro.asp

    "Which is better?" That depends entirely upon the uses to which
    you put your computer, the network environment in which you'll operate
    it, your specific security needs, and your level of computer
    knowledge.

    Bruce Chambers

    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. -- RAH

    "Gail Gordon" <gailsusangordon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've been advised to purchase windowsxppro for my home computer,
    > even
    > though there is no computer network, because the professional
    > version
    > will run better than the home office version. I'm wondering what
    > opinions people have about this - is it worth spending the extra
    > money
    > to keep my system from crashing as often as it has?
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 4100, with sufficient memory for xp. I use
    > Dragon Naturally Speaking, which seems to make the computer crash
    > more
    > often, even when I do all the technical things advised to avoid
    > that.
    > Primary uses are word processing, photo shop, and graphic packages.
    >
    > Thanks.
  5. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Do not upgrade to either until you have the current problems resolved and
    repaired. Otherwise those problems will most likely carry over onto your new
    OS. After that, use the XP Upgrade Adviser to evaluate the XP feasibility of
    your system. The Adviser is included on any XP program disk, and can be
    downloaded from Microsoft, but it is a large (over 40 MB) file.

    If you cannot resolve those problems, consider doing a clean install
    (re-partition and re-format the system drive followed by an install of the
    new OS). Of course all existing data will be lost, but you won't be
    transferring any old headaches to your new system.

    Personally I prefer XP Pro, but I have 3 desktops and 1 laptop on a
    wired/wireless LAN.

    "Gail Gordon" <gailsusangordon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've been advised to purchase windowsxppro for my home computer, even
    > though there is no computer network, because the professional version
    > will run better than the home office version. I'm wondering what
    > opinions people have about this - is it worth spending the extra money
    > to keep my system from crashing as often as it has?
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 4100, with sufficient memory for xp. I use
    > Dragon Naturally Speaking, which seems to make the computer crash more
    > often, even when I do all the technical things advised to avoid that.
    > Primary uses are word processing, photo shop, and graphic packages.
    >
    > Thanks.
  6. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    The Pro version does have a few extra features that the Home version
    doesn't.

    Go over to Microsoft's XP page and see a summary of the differences.

    Basically, if you have to ask, then you don't need Pro.

    It's got some encryption available that isn't normally available to the Home
    version. It has the system restore feature. It can handle multiple
    processors. And a few other minor things.

    But generally, if you have to ask, then you probably don't need Pro.

    With some carefull shopping, you can pick up a legal OEM copy of XP Pro
    upgrade for about the same price that you'd buy a retail copy of xp home.
    (The OEM status shouldn't really make any difference.) (Many places sell
    OEM versions of xp with a cheap piece of hardware, such as a floppy cable,
    to make it legal.)

    "Gail Gordon" <gailsusangordon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've been advised to purchase windowsxppro for my home computer, even
    > though there is no computer network, because the professional version
    > will run better than the home office version. I'm wondering what
    > opinions people have about this - is it worth spending the extra money
    > to keep my system from crashing as often as it has?
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 4100, with sufficient memory for xp. I use
    > Dragon Naturally Speaking, which seems to make the computer crash more
    > often, even when I do all the technical things advised to avoid that.
    > Primary uses are word processing, photo shop, and graphic packages.
    >
    > Thanks.
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Both Home and Pro have system restore. Home has backup, but
    it isn't installed by default.

    Security, user management and domains are other Pro
    features. If you want to learn about IT then get Pro,
    you'll learn more. If all you want to do is computer at
    home, save money with Home.

    "Visitor" <none@none.none> wrote in message
    | The Pro version does have a few extra features that the
    Home version
    | doesn't.
    |
    | Go over to Microsoft's XP page and see a summary of the
    differences.

    | Basically, if you have to ask, then you don't need Pro.
    |
    | It's got some encryption available that isn't normally
    available to the Home
    | version. It has the system restore feature. It can
    handle multiple
    | processors. And a few other minor things.
    |
    | But generally, if you have to ask, then you probably don't
    need Pro.

    | With some carefull shopping, you can pick up a legal OEM
    copy of XP Pro
    | upgrade for about the same price that you'd buy a retail
    copy of xp home.
    | (The OEM status shouldn't really make any difference.)
    (Many places sell
    | OEM versions of xp with a cheap piece of hardware, such as
    a floppy cable,
    | to make it legal.)
    |
    | "Gail Gordon" <gailsusangordon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    | > I've been advised to purchase windowsxppro for my home
    computer, even
    | > though there is no computer network, because the
    professional version
    | > will run better than the home office version. I'm
    wondering what
    | > opinions people have about this - is it worth spending
    the extra money
    | > to keep my system from crashing as often as it has?
    | >
    | > I have a Dell Dimension 4100, with sufficient memory for
    xp. I use
    | > Dragon Naturally Speaking, which seems to make the
    computer crash more
    | > often, even when I do all the technical things advised
    to avoid that.
    | > Primary uses are word processing, photo shop, and
    graphic packages.

    | > Thanks.

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    By Pro

    You might need it in the future !!
    "Gail Gordon" <gailsusangordon@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > I've been advised to purchase windowsxppro for my home computer, even
    > though there is no computer network, because the professional version
    > will run better than the home office version. I'm wondering what
    > opinions people have about this - is it worth spending the extra money
    > to keep my system from crashing as often as it has?
    >
    > I have a Dell Dimension 4100, with sufficient memory for xp. I use
    > Dragon Naturally Speaking, which seems to make the computer crash more
    > often, even when I do all the technical things advised to avoid that.
    > Primary uses are word processing, photo shop, and graphic packages.
    >
    > Thanks.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    FaiRaNdbalANcEd wrote:
    > By Pro
    >
    > You might need it in the future !!

    Then she can buy it in the future. That would be like me buying a car - I
    don't need one now (because I can't drive) but I maybe able to in the
    future. Why tie up the money? Buy what you need now - don't speculate.
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    "Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
    > FaiRaNdbalANcEd wrote:
    > > By Pro
    > >
    > > You might need it in the future !!
    >
    > Then she can buy it in the future. That would be like me buying a car - I
    > don't need one now (because I can't drive) but I maybe able to in the
    > future. Why tie up the money? Buy what you need now - don't speculate.

    Actually it depends. Many, admittedly not all, will discover too late that
    they need XP Pro for its advanced networking features - something they had
    really not given insufficient thought about early on. Then after belatedly
    discovering the need, they are forced to go out and buy a second OS. In such
    cases it would have been a lot cheaper to have purchased XP Pro in the first
    place.

    The bottom line is, people should carefully evaluate their needs in advance
    in order to make an informed decision. That's the way to spend wisely and
    save money.
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Great point and I agree. If the situation allows, always go for the full
    product.

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message

    > "Cerridwen" <cerridwen@celticnet.com> wrote in message
    >> FaiRaNdbalANcEd wrote:
    >> > By Pro
    >> >
    >> > You might need it in the future !!
    >>
    >> Then she can buy it in the future. That would be like me buying a car - I
    >> don't need one now (because I can't drive) but I maybe able to in the
    >> future. Why tie up the money? Buy what you need now - don't speculate.
    >>

    > Actually it depends. Many, admittedly not all, will discover too late that
    > they need XP Pro for its advanced networking features - something they had
    > really not given insufficient thought about early on. Then after belatedly
    > discovering the need, they are forced to go out and buy a second OS. In
    > such
    > cases it would have been a lot cheaper to have purchased XP Pro in the
    > first
    > place.
    >
    > The bottom line is, people should carefully evaluate their needs in
    > advance
    > in order to make an informed decision. That's the way to spend wisely and
    > save money.

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Normally I say most home users need only Windows XP Home.
    However most home users buy an OEM computer and never consider
    upgrading until they buy a new computer.
    So if someone is upgrading an existing computer, I would say there is
    more likely a chance they may eventually want Windows XP Pro.
    Just my thoughts looking from a slightly different angle.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    > Great point and I agree. If the situation allows, always go for the
    full
    > product.
    >
    > --
    > All the Best,
    > Kelly
    >
    > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >
    > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >
    > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >

    > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > > Actually it depends. Many, admittedly not all, will discover too
    late that
    > > they need XP Pro for its advanced networking features - something
    they had
    > > really not given insufficient thought about early on. Then after
    belatedly
    > > discovering the need, they are forced to go out and buy a second
    OS. In
    > > such
    > > cases it would have been a lot cheaper to have purchased XP Pro in
    the
    > > first
    > > place.
    > >
    > > The bottom line is, people should carefully evaluate their needs
    in
    > > advance
    > > in order to make an informed decision. That's the way to spend
    wisely and
    > > save money.
  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Upgrading from Windows ME to XP doesn't necessarily mean the upgrader needs XP
    Pro. Why is it 'more likely' someone upgrading an existing computer want XP
    Pro?
    > Normally I say most home users need only Windows XP Home.
    > However most home users buy an OEM computer and never consider
    > upgrading until they buy a new computer.
    > So if someone is upgrading an existing computer, I would say there is
    > more likely a chance they may eventually want Windows XP Pro.
    > Just my thoughts looking from a slightly different angle.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    > > Great point and I agree. If the situation allows, always go for the
    > full
    > > product.
    > >
    > > --
    > > All the Best,
    > > Kelly
    > >
    > > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    > > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    > >
    > > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    > >
    > > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    > >

    > > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> wrote in message
    > > > Actually it depends. Many, admittedly not all, will discover too
    > late that
    > > > they need XP Pro for its advanced networking features - something
    > they had
    > > > really not given insufficient thought about early on. Then after
    > belatedly
    > > > discovering the need, they are forced to go out and buy a second
    > OS. In
    > > > such
    > > > cases it would have been a lot cheaper to have purchased XP Pro in
    > the
    > > > first
    > > > place.
    > > >
    > > > The bottom line is, people should carefully evaluate their needs
    > in
    > > > advance
    > > > in order to make an informed decision. That's the way to spend
    > wisely and
    > > > save money.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    I did not say they would necessarily need Pro.
    However the fact they are upgrading the OS at all puts them in a
    slightly different group than the typical home user.
    As such their needs are different.
    More of the people who upgrade will eventually want Pro as opposed to
    the typical home user referenced earlier.

    --

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > Upgrading from Windows ME to XP doesn't necessarily mean the
    upgrader needs XP
    > Pro. Why is it 'more likely' someone upgrading an existing computer
    want XP
    > Pro?
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > > Normally I say most home users need only Windows XP Home.
    > > However most home users buy an OEM computer and never consider
    > > upgrading until they buy a new computer.
    > > So if someone is upgrading an existing computer, I would say there
    is
    > > more likely a chance they may eventually want Windows XP Pro.
    > > Just my thoughts looking from a slightly different angle.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    > >

    > > "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > > Great point and I agree. If the situation allows, always go for
    the
    > > full
    > > > product.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > All the Best,
    > > > Kelly
    > > >
    > > > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    > > > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    > > >
    > > > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    > > >
    > > > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    > > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

    > > late that
    > > they had
    > > belatedly
    > > OS. In
    Pro in
    > > the

    > > in
    > > wisely and

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Would ME even meet the previous version test for the XP Pro Upgrade? Does
    the Pro Upgrade restrict to NT and 2000?

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > Upgrading from Windows ME to XP doesn't necessarily mean the upgrader
    needs XP
    > Pro. Why is it 'more likely' someone upgrading an existing computer want
    XP
    > Pro?
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > > Normally I say most home users need only Windows XP Home.
    > > However most home users buy an OEM computer and never consider
    > > upgrading until they buy a new computer.
    > > So if someone is upgrading an existing computer, I would say there is
    > > more likely a chance they may eventually want Windows XP Pro.
    > > Just my thoughts looking from a slightly different angle.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    > >

    > > "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > > > Great point and I agree. If the situation allows, always go for the
    > > full
    > > > product.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > All the Best,
    > > > Kelly
    > > >
    > > > Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    > > > 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    > > >
    > > > Troubleshooting Windows XP
    > > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    > > >
    > > > Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    > > > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm

    > > late that
    > > they had
    > > belatedly
    > > OS. In
    > > the

    > > in
    > > wisely and

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    Robert;
    Yes, Windows ME is a qualifier for both Windows XP Home and Pro:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/howtobuy/upgrading/matrix.asp

    --

    "RobertVA" <robert_c72@nospam.notmail.com> wrote in message
    > Would ME even meet the previous version test for the XP Pro Upgrade?
    Does
    > the Pro Upgrade restrict to NT and 2000?
  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    You aren't making sense to me. The typical homeowner doesn't upgrade?
    > I did not say they would necessarily need Pro.
    > However the fact they are upgrading the OS at all puts them in a
    > slightly different group than the typical home user.
    > As such their needs are different.
    > More of the people who upgrade will eventually want Pro as opposed to
    > the typical home user referenced earlier.
    >
    > --
    > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    >

    > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > > Upgrading from Windows ME to XP doesn't necessarily mean the
    > upgrader needs XP
    > > Pro. Why is it 'more likely' someone upgrading an existing computer
    > want XP
    > > Pro?
    > > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > > > Normally I say most home users need only Windows XP Home.
    > > > However most home users buy an OEM computer and never consider
    > > > upgrading until they buy a new computer.
    > > > So if someone is upgrading an existing computer, I would say there
    > is
    > > > more likely a chance they may eventually want Windows XP Pro.
    > > > Just my thoughts looking from a slightly different angle.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    > > >

    > > > "Kelly" <kelly@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > the
    > > > full

    > too
    > > > late that
    > something
    > > > they had
    > after
    > > > belatedly
    > second
    > > > OS. In
    > Pro in
    > > > the

    > needs
    > > > in
    > > > wisely and

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    The majority of them never change their computer much from as it was
    when new...that includes OS.
    Most will get a new OS with their new computer, whenever that is.

    Also did you mean "home user" when you said "homeowner"

    --

    > You aren't making sense to me. The typical homeowner doesn't
    upgrade?
    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in message
    > > I did not say they would necessarily need Pro.
    > > However the fact they are upgrading the OS at all puts them in a
    > > slightly different group than the typical home user.
    > > As such their needs are different.
    > > More of the people who upgrade will eventually want Pro as opposed
    > > the typical home user referenced earlier.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    > > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/
    > >

    > > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > > > Upgrading from Windows ME to XP doesn't necessarily mean the
    > > upgrader needs XP
    > > > Pro. Why is it 'more likely' someone upgrading an existing
    computer
    > > want XP
    > > > Pro?
    > > > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]" <jones_jupiter@hotnomail.com> wrote in
    message
    > > is

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

    XP Home, but plenty Memory. 512 avoids many problems.

    --
    Paul Woodsford
    Remove ****NOSPAMPLEASE**** to Reply
    : Gail Gordon wrote:
    : > I've been advised to purchase windowsxppro for my home computer, even
    : > though there is no computer network, because the professional version
    : > will run better than the home office version. I'm wondering what
    : > opinions people have about this - is it worth spending the extra money
    : > to keep my system from crashing as often as it has?
    : >
    :
    : No Network?
    : No need to remoptely log into your PC?
    :
    : Stick with Home Edition.
    :
    : --