Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Checking hardware

Last response: in Business Computing
Share
December 1, 2012 1:31:50 PM


guys,

are y familiair with tools like pc-doctor?
If so, whats your experience with pc-doctor and familiair tools? Am looking for tooling to check customer pc/s and servers for hardware failures.

many thanks for the reply's

More about : checking hardware

December 1, 2012 4:56:09 PM

Hi :) 

I own computer shops etc...

We NEVER use crap tools like that, we use whats between our ears and tools like Hirens etc...

All the best Brett :) 
December 1, 2012 5:03:56 PM

Brett928S2 said:
Hi :) 

I own computer shops etc...

We NEVER use crap tools like that, we use whats between our ears and tools like Hirens etc...

All the best Brett :) 


hi brett,

many thanks for the reply.
i do own hirens and ubc but i also noticed payable tools are available.

so are those payable tools usefull?
Related resources
December 1, 2012 6:06:06 PM

enkidoe said:
hi brett,

many thanks for the reply.
i do own hirens and ubc but i also noticed payable tools are available.

so are those payable tools usefull?


Hi :) 

They are TOTAL RUBBISH...we REMOVE them from customers machines every day...

All the best Brett :) 
December 2, 2012 12:33:18 AM

I'll agree with Brett on this one as well. We stay away from these extra pay "tools" as more often than not they cause more problems than they will ever fix. Stick with the good boot disks like Hirens as Brett suggested, and just really get a knack down for knowing what symptoms can be related to what possible hardware issues. And even if you're not sure, just go ahead and test it! It's better to go ahead and run a bad sector or SMART test on that hard drive just in case it is failing than to just guess and hope that all is well.
December 2, 2012 8:53:56 AM

sorry, i dont mean tools already preinstalled on pc's but i mean something like pc doctor service center .
Actually i am only familiair with pc doctor service center, do other service centers exist?
December 3, 2012 12:35:13 PM

@enkidoe

They aren't called "service centers" but yes, there are several similar products. Products like that are usually junk - they only do things that users can be taught to do.
In a corporate/business setting, you should be able to leverage group policy (and if you are a larger entity, your RMM software) to automate all of your basic maintenance tasks.
December 3, 2012 1:10:39 PM

Wel, thats the problem. In a small business you dont have the time to check pc's so you should look for a software solution otherwise diagnsting a pc might be giving you a days work
December 3, 2012 2:44:36 PM

enkidoe said:
Wel, thats the problem. In a small business you dont have the time to check pc's so you should look for a software solution otherwise diagnsting a pc might be giving you a days work



Diagnosing a PC is only a days work to the uninitiated. In which case, I would always recommend reaching out to a professional rather than relying on this type of software. You'll spend about the same amount of money, but you'll have a warranty and piece of mind.

Also, keep in mind that these tools can only do very basic troubleshooting and it is very hit and miss.

Hint: I work with SMB and Small Enterprise exclusively
December 21, 2012 8:24:53 AM

enkidoe said:
guys,

are y familiair with tools like pc-doctor?
If so, whats your experience with pc-doctor and familiair tools? Am looking for tooling to check customer pc/s and servers for hardware failures.

many thanks for the reply's


Hi,

i just wanted to say that if you are talking about diagnostic hardware not tuneup software there are definitely products that can save a lot of your time. Sure you can diagnose computer issues without but if you have other things to do a product such as Quickcast mobile or Quicktech pro usb from Ultra X could be a great asset.

Hope this helps.
!