Linksys Wireless Range Expander and Adapter Problems

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 22, 2004 3:22:45 PM

I have all Linksys equipment, WRT54G Router connected to a Millenium
machine (no problems), a WPC54G notebook adapter connected to a laptop
with XP home edition, a WRE54G Range Expander (between the laptop and
another PC) and a WUSB54G network adapter connected to the other PC
(furthest from the router) running XP home edition.

When I connected the router and then the laptop, no problems. Good
connectivity. Never lost the signal.

About one week later (4 days ago) I added the range expander and the
network adapter to the second PC. Since then I have been able to
maintain connectivity between the router and the laptop, but lose
connectivity with the PC with the network adapter after anywhere from
5 seconds to one - two hours. I have been on the support line with
Linksys daily (usually multiple times) for up to two hours at a time.
I have changed so many settings at their behest, I now do not know
where I started. Each tech with whom I have spoken has worked through
the problem with a different solution - always the same result -
finally a connection that is gone again after we hang up.

Through all of this the connection to the laptop remains.

Anyone aware of what might resolve this permanently? I have installed
all according to the specs, and have redone this twice with techs
talking me through the entire process. I have had static IP address
as well as keeping the IP address open (I have been told by Linksys
alternatively that the address must be static or remain open - doesn't
matter. Regardless, the connection is quickly lost.

Anyone have any advice?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 23, 2004 2:12:41 AM

Off the top of my head...when it comes to wireless...

Check noise levels, preferrably with a recorder especially around
supper time

Check connectivity with WEP enabled at noisiest times

Update all firmware being certain it is for the correct hardware -and
country-

Monitor signal strength as you adjust antennaes

and somewhere I saw a note about your symptoms and an authentication
request problem for re-connects.

I am using WRT54G, WRE54G and WMP54G and just today was told the
WRE54G had screwy firmware that disallowed WEP and MAC filtering
together. Also alleged that WPA would be fine...not yet tried that.

Just wish when it was a socumented issue I didn't have to spend so
long on the phone with them.

rmuck@samhsa.gov (Randy Muck) wrote in message news:<9d54215.0407221022.2d3f8962@posting.google.com>...
> I have all Linksys equipment, WRT54G Router connected to a Millenium
> machine (no problems), a WPC54G notebook adapter connected to a laptop
> with XP home edition, a WRE54G Range Expander (between the laptop and
> another PC) and a WUSB54G network adapter connected to the other PC
> (furthest from the router) running XP home edition.
>
> When I connected the router and then the laptop, no problems. Good
> connectivity. Never lost the signal.
>
> About one week later (4 days ago) I added the range expander and the
> network adapter to the second PC. Since then I have been able to
> maintain connectivity between the router and the laptop, but lose
> connectivity with the PC with the network adapter after anywhere from
> 5 seconds to one - two hours. I have been on the support line with
> Linksys daily (usually multiple times) for up to two hours at a time.
> I have changed so many settings at their behest, I now do not know
> where I started. Each tech with whom I have spoken has worked through
> the problem with a different solution - always the same result -
> finally a connection that is gone again after we hang up.
>
> Through all of this the connection to the laptop remains.
>
> Anyone aware of what might resolve this permanently? I have installed
> all according to the specs, and have redone this twice with techs
> talking me through the entire process. I have had static IP address
> as well as keeping the IP address open (I have been told by Linksys
> alternatively that the address must be static or remain open - doesn't
> matter. Regardless, the connection is quickly lost.
>
> Anyone have any advice?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 23, 2004 2:12:50 AM

Off the top of my head...when it comes to wireless...

Check noise levels, preferrably with a recorder especially around
supper time

Check connectivity with WEP enabled at noisiest times

Update all firmware being certain it is for the correct hardware -and
country-

Monitor signal strength as you adjust antennaes

and somewhere I saw a note about your symptoms and an authentication
request problem for re-connects.

I am using WRT54G, WRE54G and WMP54G and just today was told the
WRE54G had screwy firmware that disallowed WEP and MAC filtering
together. Also alleged that WPA would be fine...not yet tried that.

Just wish when it was a socumented issue I didn't have to spend so
long on the phone with them.

rmuck@samhsa.gov (Randy Muck) wrote in message news:<9d54215.0407221022.2d3f8962@posting.google.com>...
> I have all Linksys equipment, WRT54G Router connected to a Millenium
> machine (no problems), a WPC54G notebook adapter connected to a laptop
> with XP home edition, a WRE54G Range Expander (between the laptop and
> another PC) and a WUSB54G network adapter connected to the other PC
> (furthest from the router) running XP home edition.
>
> When I connected the router and then the laptop, no problems. Good
> connectivity. Never lost the signal.
>
> About one week later (4 days ago) I added the range expander and the
> network adapter to the second PC. Since then I have been able to
> maintain connectivity between the router and the laptop, but lose
> connectivity with the PC with the network adapter after anywhere from
> 5 seconds to one - two hours. I have been on the support line with
> Linksys daily (usually multiple times) for up to two hours at a time.
> I have changed so many settings at their behest, I now do not know
> where I started. Each tech with whom I have spoken has worked through
> the problem with a different solution - always the same result -
> finally a connection that is gone again after we hang up.
>
> Through all of this the connection to the laptop remains.
>
> Anyone aware of what might resolve this permanently? I have installed
> all according to the specs, and have redone this twice with techs
> talking me through the entire process. I have had static IP address
> as well as keeping the IP address open (I have been told by Linksys
> alternatively that the address must be static or remain open - doesn't
> matter. Regardless, the connection is quickly lost.
>
> Anyone have any advice?
Related resources
July 23, 2004 10:00:36 AM

rmuck@samhsa.gov (Randy Muck) wrote in message news:<9d54215.0407221022.2d3f8962@posting.google.com>...
> I have all Linksys equipment, WRT54G Router connected to a Millenium
> machine (no problems), a WPC54G notebook adapter connected to a laptop
> with XP home edition, a WRE54G Range Expander (between the laptop and
> another PC) and a WUSB54G network adapter connected to the other PC
> (furthest from the router) running XP home edition.
>
> When I connected the router and then the laptop, no problems. Good
> connectivity. Never lost the signal.
>
> About one week later (4 days ago) I added the range expander and the
> network adapter to the second PC. Since then I have been able to
> maintain connectivity between the router and the laptop, but lose
> connectivity with the PC with the network adapter after anywhere from
> 5 seconds to one - two hours. I have been on the support line with
> Linksys daily (usually multiple times) for up to two hours at a time.
> I have changed so many settings at their behest, I now do not know
> where I started. Each tech with whom I have spoken has worked through
> the problem with a different solution - always the same result -
> finally a connection that is gone again after we hang up.
>
> Through all of this the connection to the laptop remains.
>
> Anyone aware of what might resolve this permanently? I have installed
> all according to the specs, and have redone this twice with techs
> talking me through the entire process. I have had static IP address
> as well as keeping the IP address open (I have been told by Linksys
> alternatively that the address must be static or remain open - doesn't
> matter. Regardless, the connection is quickly lost.
>
> Anyone have any advice?

I am having similar problems.

I have a laptop upstairs 5 feet from an access point. (All linksys,
but my laptop is intel card). I also have a desktop down in the
basement that always got poor if no reception from the AP. I bought
the expander. I got it running, put it downstairs next to the desktop
and WOW! Lightning speed. I then go up to my laptop (again 5 feet
from the AP which is used to excellent signal strength) and it now has
low signal strength.) I to spent a long time on the phone with
linksys, each telling me different things. One guy told me to change
the RTS and Fragmentation threshold on my AP, along with the
Beaconing.) That seemed to work for that night. Next day, the
desktop in the basement has no Internet access, but the computer icon
in the task bar (all hosts running WinXP) shows very good strength,
but no Internet connectivity (like it did the night before.) On the
expander there are two blue lights, and one is blinking. I am almost
afraid to call linksys back and have someone who is not sure have me
make all kinds of changes that are not easily reversible and the I
have to start my network up all over again (have many other hosts
(wired connected.)

Sorry that I can't be of help, but I guess that I am also looking for
advice.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 23, 2004 1:25:58 PM

Look in your booklet for the range expander. It will explain the two
lights.

--
Bob Alston
Home: 918.494.4913
"Mark" <mark-wade@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D 94aa9fa.0407230500.3fc68b0a@posting.google.com...
> [...]
> low signal strength.) I to spent a long time on the phone with
> linksys, each telling me different things. One guy told me to change
> the RTS and Fragmentation threshold on my AP, along with the
> Beaconing.) That seemed to work for that night. Next day, the
> desktop in the basement has no Internet access, but the computer icon
> in the task bar (all hosts running WinXP) shows very good strength,
> but no Internet connectivity (like it did the night before.) On the
> expander there are two blue lights, and one is blinking. I am almost
> afraid to call linksys back and have someone who is not sure have me
> make all kinds of changes that are not easily reversible and the I
> have to start my network up all over again (have many other hosts
> (wired connected.)
>
> Sorry that I can't be of help, but I guess that I am also looking for

---
a b F Wireless
July 23, 2004 11:53:35 PM

On 23 Jul 2004 06:00:36 -0700, mark-wade@comcast.net (Mark) wrote:

> [...]
>low signal strength.) I to spent a long time on the phone with
>linksys, each telling me different things. One guy told me to change
>the RTS and Fragmentation threshold on my AP, along with the
>Beaconing.) That seemed to work for that night. Next day, the
>desktop in the basement has no Internet access, but the computer icon
>in the task bar (all hosts running WinXP) shows very good strength,
>but no Internet connectivity (like it did the night before.) On the
>expander there are two blue lights, and one is blinking. I am almost
>afraid to call linksys back and have someone who is not sure have me
>make all kinds of changes that are not easily reversible and the I
>have to start my network up all over again (have many other hosts
>(wired connected.)
>
>Sorry that I can't be of help, but I guess that I am also looking for

could it be near/far problem ??

near/far is when one computer drowns out the signal from another
computer preventing its communication being heard.

i read about this today and , well, you never know.

a good start to troubleshooting i guess would be to move the laptop
next to the desktop and see what happens,

also switch off the desktop and observe the signal to the laptop.

near / far can also be a power issue. maybe the laptop is simply not
powerful enough to compete with the signal coming from the
desktop/repeater combo.

this is only a guess as my knowledge is only rudimentary at present.
August 5, 2004 9:46:17 AM

info@pccpr.ca (whayahseh) wrote in message news:<900e44c.0407222112.5786fd7c@posting.google.com>...

Hmm. I've got WEP and MAC filtering enabled, and my network works
fine, except for the red link light (which is meaningless because I
can communicate with the WRE54g and my wireless pc is clearly
connected to the wre54g getting a signal boost. Yes, I've got the
most recent Linksys firmware for my wrt54g, which supposedly cures
that problem, but does not in my case). The wre54g does NOT support
WPA yet. While the setup utility does not support WEP (I'm not sure
the setup utility even supports a typical setup), and both WEP and MAC
filtering are best left off during initial setup using the web
interface for wre54g, WEP and MAC filter will both work. Even
configuration via the web interface, however, is a MAJOR PITA!

Auto-configure for the wre54g is also unreliable. It kept contracting
my SSID, even with router broadcasting on. Auto configure, however,
will at least allow you access to the web interface where, after you
attempt to understand what should have been fully documented, conduct
experiments, cross your fingers, and chant magical incantations, you
can get everything working.

Linksys phone tech support was very friendly, and oddly handy in
letting me that the appearance of two identical SSID sites in my
wireless pc's list of sites was normal. Although I had to develop the
solutions on my own, it was useful to understand what was a symptom of
my problem and what was not.

> Off the top of my head...when it comes to wireless...
>
> Check noise levels, preferrably with a recorder especially around
> supper time
>
> Check connectivity with WEP enabled at noisiest times
>
> Update all firmware being certain it is for the correct hardware -and
> country-
>
> Monitor signal strength as you adjust antennaes
>
> and somewhere I saw a note about your symptoms and an authentication
> request problem for re-connects.
>

> I am using WRT54G, WRE54G and WMP54G and just today was told the
> WRE54G had screwy firmware that disallowed WEP and MAC filtering
> together. Also alleged that WPA would be fine...not yet tried that.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 14, 2004 5:13:02 AM

FORGET WHATEVER LINKSYS CUSTOMER SERVICE TELLS YOU ON THIS PRODUCT! I
was told that the WRE54G was not compatible with my Microsoft base
station (MN500). I went a purchased a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband
Router and had the same problems. I was then told to return the
expender to Best Buy because it was defective. Neither of which was
true. In my experience, the red light WON'T TURN BLUE! I got it to
turn blue for seconds at a time, then it would turn red again and I
would go crazy. What worked for me: 1) DISABLE the WEP on your network
2) PLUG THE WRE54G in - wait a few seconds until both lights come on
and press the AUTO CONFIG button. You should see some type of blinking
here. If you don't, hold the RESET button in with a paper clip or
something for about 10 seconds, then unplug for about 30 seconds and
start over. 3) AFTER ABOUT 30 seconds, type 192.168.1.240 into your
web browser (PASSWORD:admin) and click EDIT SECURITY SETTINGS then
enter in your WEP key in ALL FOUR FIELDS. 4) CLICK SAVE SETTINGS (Here
is where my browser sort of stalled but keep the faith - You may get an
error page afterwards but the change takes place nonetheless. 5)TYPE
192.168.1.1 (assuming you have Linksys 54G-Router) and enable the WEP
security on the network again. 6) LASTLY, place the WRE up high and get
networking!

It may be better to do this on a wired PC on your network. I did it on
a wireless laptop and kept losing my connection because I was switching
the security on and off (My PC is two floors up and I got tired of
repeated trips). Again, don't look for two blue lights anytime soon.
Hope this helps.

Barry wrote:
> info@pccpr.ca (whayahseh) wrote in message
>
> Hmm. I've got WEP and MAC filtering enabled, and my network works
> fine, except for the red link light (which is meaningless because I
> can communicate with the WRE54g and my wireless pc is clearly
> connected to the wre54g getting a signal boost. Yes, I've got the
> most recent Linksys firmware for my wrt54g, which supposedly cures
> that problem, but does not in my case). The wre54g does NOT support
> WPA yet. While the setup utility does not support WEP (I'm not sure
> the setup utility even supports a typical setup), and both WEP and
MAC
> filtering are best left off during initial setup using the web
> interface for wre54g, WEP and MAC filter will both work. Even
> configuration via the web interface, however, is a MAJOR PITA!
>
> Auto-configure for the wre54g is also unreliable. It kept
contracting
> my SSID, even with router broadcasting on. Auto configure, however,
> will at least allow you access to the web interface where, after you
> attempt to understand what should have been fully documented, conduct
> experiments, cross your fingers, and chant magical incantations, you
> can get everything working.
>
> Linksys phone tech support was very friendly, and oddly handy in
> letting me that the appearance of two identical SSID sites in my
> wireless pc's list of sites was normal. Although I had to develop
the
> solutions on my own, it was useful to understand what was a symptom
of
> my problem and what was not.
>
> > Off the top of my head...when it comes to wireless...
> >
> > Check noise levels, preferrably with a recorder especially around
> > supper time
> >
> > Check connectivity with WEP enabled at noisiest times
> >
> > Update all firmware being certain it is for the correct hardware
-and
> > country-
> >
> > Monitor signal strength as you adjust antennaes
> >
> > and somewhere I saw a note about your symptoms and an
authentication
> > request problem for re-connects.
> >

> > I am using WRT54G, WRE54G and WMP54G and just today was told the
> > WRE54G had screwy firmware that disallowed WEP and MAC filtering
> > together. Also alleged that WPA would be fine...not yet tried
that.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 14, 2004 2:00:59 PM

On 14 Dec 2004 02:13:02 -0800, "craziFUGAZI" <diondre@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>FORGET WHATEVER LINKSYS CUSTOMER SERVICE TELLS YOU ON THIS PRODUCT! I
>was told that the WRE54G was not compatible with my Microsoft base
>station (MN500). I went a purchased a Linksys Wireless-G Broadband
>Router and had the same problems. I was then told to return the
>expender to Best Buy because it was defective. Neither of which was
>true. In my experience, the red light WON'T TURN BLUE! I got it to
>turn blue for seconds at a time, then it would turn red again and I
>would go crazy.

Thanks....
I stuck the expander down in my one Garage last month sometime and
IT works... BUT I too gave up on trying to get both lights to turn
BLUE...

As yours mine will revert toRed & Blue within seconds and at this
point I really do not care since it works..

Bob Griffiths
!