IBM Launches New Octa-core Chips and Servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
IBM processors are in a different league then Intel Processors in productivity tasks. I don't think the Core i7 or Nahelhiem based Xeons stand a chance.

[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]IBM processors are in a different league then Intel Processors in productivity tasks. I don't think the Core i7 or Nahelhiem based Xeons stand a chance.[/citation]

Just as our desktop apps and games dont stand a chance on IBM's chips - Calculator vs Human Brain example

[citation][nom]falchard[/nom]IBM processors are in a different league then Intel Processors in productivity tasks. I don't think the Core i7 or Nahelhiem based Xeons stand a chance.[/citation]
Depends on the type of ops/code running.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Correct, it uses IBM's Power arch. However, you could run it on top of a VM and see But anyways, with speeds of up to 4.14Ghz: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POWER7[/citation]
Yes, but you can't really emulate a few pci-ex gpus through a VM soft, even if you could, there would be lag.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Holy SHITBALLS!!!
All it takes right now is for IBM to decide to enter the consumer CPU market and both Intel and AMD are DEAD!
And don't they can't because they spend as much on R&D in a year as Intel has Operating Income in a year, combine that with the fact they even made this thing at all and it's a very real possibility.
I can't even begin to imagine how fast and powerful a system based on this thing would be.

[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Holy SHITBALLS!!!All it takes right now is for IBM to decide to enter the consumer CPU market and both Intel and AMD are DEAD!And don't they can't because they spend as much on R&D in a year as Intel has Operating Income in a year, combine that with the fact they even made this thing at all and it's a very real possibility.I can't even begin to imagine how fast and powerful a system based on this thing would be.[/citation]
Wrong.

For starters, this won't run 90-99% of the code out there except through VM. Second, you have no idea what a Power arch based set up costs do you? Third, IBM and AMD are in co op mode for 32nm tech anyways, IBM won't gain much if it enters the consumer market. It won't be worth it (the consumer market just won't accept it, just like RDRAM, BTX,etc). IBM makes a HUGE amounts of profit on the Power based servers/HPCs and super computers, IBMs perfectly fine in this niche market(s). Fourth, there are only a few Linux/BSD distros that have PPC support meaning a lot of code would need to be recompiled from source. Fifth, and most importantly, there is no Windows on PPC with out VM and even then there will be a lot of hardware/software conflicts.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Fifth, and most importantly, there is no Windows on PPC with out VM and even then there will be a lot of hardware/software conflicts.[/citation]

I mean it wouldn't good for too much these days but can't Windows NT 4.0 for PPC run on the newer PPC Computers?

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Holy SHITBALLS!!!All it takes right now is for IBM to decide to enter the consumer CPU market and both Intel and AMD are DEAD!And don't they can't because they spend as much on R&D in a year as Intel has Operating Income in a year, combine that with the fact they even made this thing at all and it's a very real possibility.I can't even begin to imagine how fast and powerful a system based on this thing would be.[/citation]

Intel is too good a marketing company and has the X86 instruction set in which most applications and games use. IBm would have a major disadvantage with 3rd party software and hardware drivers as they would spend alot more in order to "sell" their architecture and chip. This is why they focus on business or enterprise type companies that are large and not the average consumer.

G

Tom's should bench a Core i7 vs. Power7 both running otherwise identical Linux setups. That way, we can judge once and for all whether x86 is all that great or not(my prediction is "not")... I know this CPU is intended for running mainframe OS, but surely you could get the PowerPC derivative of Ubuntu to run on it...

Of course, if the Core i7 loses, that will just mean that all these years we've had a not-so-innovative Windows monopoly, and a slightly more innovative x86 monopoly both propping eachother up.

h2o_skiman

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
What is really sad about this announcement is how Intel paid off Microsoft to drop Power/SGI/Alpha architectures from Windows. NT supported all them and was designed to be cpu independent using HAL. I ran NT and Windows 2000 beta on Alpha and it blew away anything that Intel could offer at the time. Windows 2000 fixed many of the original compatibility issues suffered in NT.

Instead of consumers having real choice in CPUs, we are left with only AMD and Intel, which are the same CISC 32/X64 architecture and it is not the best for many applications. If we had the choice today, you might see gamers of HTPCs running on RISC chips and office productivity on CISC. But instead, Intel made the choice for us. :(

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
[citation][nom]h2o_skiman[/nom]What is really sad about this announcement is how Intel paid off Microsoft to drop Power/SGI/Alpha architectures from Windows. NT supported all them and was designed to be cpu independent using HAL. ...[/citation]

are you sure?
or was it really because developing and optimizing OS for all kind of CPUs are very EXPENSIVE and took a LOT of time?

x86 may not be the best choice for many applications (specialized applications). but it's good enough for the rest of the world.

it may be a long time until we see a realistic replacement for x86.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]h2o_skiman[/nom]What is really sad about this announcement is how Intel paid off Microsoft to drop Power/SGI/Alpha architectures from Windows. NT supported all them and was designed to be cpu independent using HAL. I ran NT and Windows 2000 beta on Alpha and it blew away anything that Intel could offer at the time. Windows 2000 fixed many of the original compatibility issues suffered in NT. Instead of consumers having real choice in CPUs, we are left with only AMD and Intel, which are the same CISC 32/X64 architecture and it is not the best for many applications. If we had the choice today, you might see gamers of HTPCs running on RISC chips and office productivity on CISC. But instead, Intel made the choice for us.[/citation]

You're way off. Itanium killed Alpha and all the other RISC chips except for POWER based ones.

It's common knowledge now that the Alpha was the greatest chip and architecture ever, with the best instruction. We all know this. Except it's completely untrue. They ran hotter than Hell, were obscenely expensive, and were routinely beaten by POWER based processors (although they also beat POWER chips too, depending upon the timing and application). DEC originally made them very high clock speed, low IPC devices, then slowly realized this wasn't the best, and increased IPC and focused less on clock speed. They were made so expensively, they could never have been mass produced, and their alleged superior instruction set was not. Their implementation was just very, very expensive, with a lot of custom designed silicon in each processor.

Anyway, Alpha is gone. Good riddance. Those machines were real junk and I'm glad never to have to work with one again.

You're also wrong about Intel forcing CISC on everyone. They wanted to move to VLIW, but AMD and the idiot consumers wanted an extension to x86, and Intel had to add the extensions. Don't blame them for this.

Also, x86 isn't CISC, under the covers. CISC instructions are converted to RISC (it's called de-coupled architecture), so the lines are blurred.

That you think CISC is better for office productivity is strange. The complex instruction sets had nothing to do with being designed with certain software in mind (with the exception of some being well suited for certain languages), but with hardware limitations available at that time.

For example, people bitched and moaned about the 8086/186/286 segmented memory addressing. It was created to save memory when memory was scarce and expensive. That's generally when CISC was made. Very powerful instructions kept code density very high, allowing much more sophisticated applications in the same amount of memory.

In some cases, weird addressing modes were for limitations in the actual processor hardware. For example, early DEC minicomputers were 12-bits. 5-bits were for the instructions, leaving only 7 bits for the memory, or 128 bytes that could be addressed directly. Kind of small, even for then. So, they'd create complex instructions where the 7 bits would actually point to a register, and the full 12-bits of that register would point to memory location (so in a sense, the instruction had the action to be performed, followed by a pointer to the register with the value of the memory address).

CISC instruction sets were made at a certain time, and when technologies changed (i.e. memory became less of an issue), instructions sets more suited towards those technologies were born. Not instruction sets for certain apps.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]Wrong.For starters, this won't run 90-99% of the code out there except through VM. Second, you have no idea what a Power arch based set up costs do you? Third, IBM and AMD are in co op mode for 32nm tech anyways, IBM won't gain much if it enters the consumer market. It won't be worth it (the consumer market just won't accept it, just like RDRAM, BTX,etc). IBM makes a HUGE amounts of profit on the Power based servers/HPCs and super computers, IBMs perfectly fine in this niche market(s). Fourth, there are only a few Linux/BSD distros that have PPC support meaning a lot of code would need to be recompiled from source. Fifth, and most importantly, there is no Windows on PPC with out VM and even then there will be a lot of hardware/software conflicts.[/citation]
Hence the comment
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]decide to enter the consumer CPU market[/citation]
They don't want to. But if they did want to are you in any doubt they could fashion one to work in PCs?
Don't forget that IBM chips sit in all 3 major consoles so they are no stranger to the consumer market.
This is an object lesson in the art of the possible and a nod to the supposed "kings" of desktop CPUs that they are watching and they shouldn't get too full of themselves because anything that Intel can do, IBM has already done better.

Status
Not open for further replies.