Motherboard won't run at 133mhz fsb

krelian

Distinguished
May 31, 2002
I just bought a new pc partner mobo, based on apollo pro 133a chipset(694x). i have a pentium iii 866 mhz cpu,133mhz sdram , and a riva tnt2 32mb m64 graphics card.

I tried to install 3 operating systems (win xp,2000,98)but
all of them gave me errors little after installation started. Than i changed the fsb on the board to 100 mhz and instalation when like a breeze. When i change the settings back to 133mhz fsb, everything would still work until i try to use software like "pc mark" or "3dmark" or even some "shockwave" applications.
Now, since i have to change the bus speed to 100 mhz, the cpu only runs at 650 mhz (100 * 6.5) instead of 866.
Any suggestions as to ehat causes the problem ?

krelian

Distinguished
May 31, 2002
I don't know what is the CAS level of the ram but i believe it to be 3 (that is of course if i understood your question, if this is not what CAS is supposed to be , my appologies) and this is also the setting in the bios.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
yup - you do understand what CAS level is. If they're both set to 3 (double check the BIOS just to be sure) then you're OK. I was thinking maybe you had CAS3 RAM and CAS2 set in the BIOS, which is another way of overclocking your RAM besides increasing FSB, but quite possibly resulting in instability. But if you're not then you'll have to look elsewhere.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

ChipDeath

Splendid
May 16, 2002
Sounds like some dodgy RAM. Try borrowing some to test, or see if you can set the RAM to run at 100 when the FSB is 133 - if this is stable then it's definitely the RAM.

Also try setting all the RAM stuff in the BIOS to the least aggressive settings.

<font color=blue><i>Your</i> PC may be quieter, but <i>my</i> PC makes a better hairdryer!</font color=blue>

krelian

Distinguished
May 31, 2002
The only option that i see in the bios, is to run the memory in "host clock -33" . I enabled that option, but the system still crashes. Any outside utilites recommended ?

MIXPIX

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001
I had the same problem with my mother board when i first got it. Try raising the Vcore voltage in the bios. Dont do it by much though...try the very next setting you can do it on, reboot, then raise the fsb to 133 and that should do it. If it still doesnt work try raising the vcore a little more.

Hopefully that will help

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Very, very bad board. Take it back and get a Soyo SY6-BA+III from <A HREF="http://www.justdeals.com" target="_new">http://www.justdeals.com</A> for only $40, it's a far better board, using a far better chipset, and your system will be more stable, more compatable, and faster in every way.

What's the frequency, Kenneth?

krelian

Distinguished
May 31, 2002
Sorry crashman, but i'd rather try some more options before returning the board.
Anyway, how do i raise the voltage ? any tips ?
please remember, that the computer still works in 133mhz it just has alot of crashes.

krelian

Distinguished
May 31, 2002
So, are you saying the this is just a bad luck or maybe this board is known for not being able to support what it claims it does ?

Just in case i'll have to buy another board , what is yor recommendation for a pentium 3 866 mhz board ?