Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows Media Center on a Dimension 2350

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 12:50:33 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I have a Dimension 2350 with a Hauppauge TV card. I wonder if anyone has
tried to install Windows Media Center (I know it will require a new install
of Windows) on a machine like this with any luck. Problem areas might be the
Hauppaugge card, which is not a native MCE card, and the system video which
is on-board shared graphics.

Mike

More about : windows media center dimension 2350

September 27, 2005 12:50:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

All the drivers you currently use for XP will work with
media center including the Hauppaugge drivers.
How well the TV card "integrates" with media center,,,
well, you will just have to try it.
Just remember media center is still xp and you
will have to install the chipset, video, nic, sound, tv card
drivers just as you would on a clean install of
xp home (for example).
Let us know.
If you have problems with the tv card (dont forget to install
the drivers) you may just need to use a supported card (I have the
Hauppauge card) so just sell or give away the Hauppaugge card.
Hope this helps,
Dave
Anonymous
September 27, 2005 6:14:00 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Mike Marquis" <mmarquis@raytheon.com> wrote in message
news:b3c_e.1$7h6.0@dfw-service2.ext.ray.com...
>I have a Dimension 2350 with a Hauppauge TV card. I wonder if anyone has
> tried to install Windows Media Center (I know it will require a new
> install
> of Windows) on a machine like this with any luck. Problem areas might be
> the
> Hauppaugge card, which is not a native MCE card, and the system video
> which
> is on-board shared graphics.
>
> Mike
>
>
>

It should work, as I have run it on a Dimension 2400. That said, where are
you going to get a copy? It's only sold with new machines, not as an
upgrade.

Tom
Related resources
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 6:47:41 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

bollocks.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=32-102-3...
it's been available OEM for months.

for the OP, just make sure your hardware's on the MCE approved list as
otherwise it won't work. most chipsets are, it's usually video cards
and tv cards that cause the problem. there's an excellent chance it'll
work, but check the official MCE list before spending any money.

oh, and you'll need to clean install, you can't upgrade.

ric
Anonymous
September 28, 2005 9:34:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

You might want to read the license agreement. This software can only be
distributed on a fully assembled computer. Newegg is 'cheating' as are
other vendors.

In other words, if you buy it and have a problem, you're screwed, as with
this license you've agreed to support yourself!

Tom
"ric" <publicmail@infobubble.co.uk> wrote in message
news:1127900861.775913.199870@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> bollocks.
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=32-102-3...
> it's been available OEM for months.
>
> for the OP, just make sure your hardware's on the MCE approved list as
> otherwise it won't work. most chipsets are, it's usually video cards
> and tv cards that cause the problem. there's an excellent chance it'll
> work, but check the official MCE list before spending any money.
>
> oh, and you'll need to clean install, you can't upgrade.
>
> ric
>
Anonymous
September 29, 2005 1:56:47 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Tom,

What video card did you use for your 2400? My MB graphics stuff apparently
won't work.

Mike


"Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
news:Isc_e.150537$p_1.32573@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>
> "Mike Marquis" <mmarquis@raytheon.com> wrote in message
> news:b3c_e.1$7h6.0@dfw-service2.ext.ray.com...
> >I have a Dimension 2350 with a Hauppauge TV card. I wonder if anyone has
> > tried to install Windows Media Center (I know it will require a new
> > install
> > of Windows) on a machine like this with any luck. Problem areas might be
> > the
> > Hauppaugge card, which is not a native MCE card, and the system video
> > which
> > is on-board shared graphics.
> >
> > Mike
> >
> >
> >
>
> It should work, as I have run it on a Dimension 2400. That said, where
are
> you going to get a copy? It's only sold with new machines, not as an
> upgrade.
>
> Tom
>
>
Anonymous
September 30, 2005 12:37:49 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

I've got an nVidia card in it (PCI). Can't remember which one, but pretty
cheap and dual head + svideo
"Mike Marquis" <mmarquis@raytheon.com> wrote in message
news:bdT_e.8$id3.2@dfw-service2.ext.ray.com...
> Tom,
>
> What video card did you use for your 2400? My MB graphics stuff apparently
> won't work.
>
> Mike
>
>
> "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
> news:Isc_e.150537$p_1.32573@tornado.tampabay.rr.com...
>>
>> "Mike Marquis" <mmarquis@raytheon.com> wrote in message
>> news:b3c_e.1$7h6.0@dfw-service2.ext.ray.com...
>> >I have a Dimension 2350 with a Hauppauge TV card. I wonder if anyone has
>> > tried to install Windows Media Center (I know it will require a new
>> > install
>> > of Windows) on a machine like this with any luck. Problem areas might
>> > be
>> > the
>> > Hauppaugge card, which is not a native MCE card, and the system video
>> > which
>> > is on-board shared graphics.
>> >
>> > Mike
>> >
>> >
>> >
>>
>> It should work, as I have run it on a Dimension 2400. That said, where
> are
>> you going to get a copy? It's only sold with new machines, not as an
>> upgrade.
>>
>> Tom
>>
>>
>
>
!