Belkin Access point as repeater

marc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: be.comp.networking,alt.internet.wireless,nl.comp.netwerken (More info?)

Somebody in a shop told me that some 3 months ago Belkin announced
that their access points could be flashed with new soft
that made them also work as repeaters. Is there somebody that
can give me a link? I have searched www.belkin.com
(the guy in the shop did the same...)

I bought my AP in France, and now I see I can only have 4
channels, I guess it probably is the same thing todo:
flashing the soft, so that it has all channels...
But I don't see no driver, update or so on the web...

Marc

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:13:38 +0200, Marc <markovREMOVETHIS@tiscali.be>
wrote:

>Somebody in a shop told me that some 3 months ago Belkin announced
>that their access points could be flashed with new soft
>that made them also work as repeaters. Is there somebody that
>can give me a link? I have searched www.belkin.com
>(the guy in the shop did the same...)

I'd like a reference to that if someone has it.

HOWEVER, not sure if flashing firmware is necessary. I have the Belkin
mini access point (not router) here and with the ATMEL AP
Configuration Utility I can see bridging and client mode on mine.
Those are not available with the Belkin configuration utility.

I haven't tried it to see if it works but it seems those APs are made
by Eumitcom which is the same maker as the small SMC AP (I had one,
the software was suspiciously similar :) ).

I understand from reading seattlewireless.net the Linksys WAP11 may
also be made by Eumitcom. It is supposedly also useable with the ATMEL
software.

"Marc" <markovREMOVETHIS@tiscali.be> wrote in message
> Somebody in a shop told me that some 3 months ago Belkin announced
> that their access points could be flashed with new soft
> that made them also work as repeaters. Is there somebody that
> can give me a link? I have searched www.belkin.com
> (the guy in the shop did the same...)
>
> I bought my AP in France, and now I see I can only have 4
> channels, I guess it probably is the same thing todo:
> flashing the soft, so that it has all channels...
> But I don't see no driver, update or so on the web...
>
> Marc

You didn't say what model of router, but here's a likely link:
http://web.belkin.com/support/download/download.asp?download=F5D5231-4&lang=1&mode=

Where are you going to use the router? Belgium? France uses only channels
10-13. The rest of Europe uses channels 1-13. If you flash the router with
USA firmware, you'll only be able to use 1-11.

Ron Bandes, CCNP, CTT+, etc.

marc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

"Steevo@my-deja.com" <steevo@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:<i8b1g0l5p11ui8d0m2o7aurb86020clequ@4ax.com>...
> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:13:38 +0200, Marc <markovREMOVETHIS@tiscali.be>
> wrote:
>
> I understand from reading seattlewireless.net the Linksys WAP11 may
> also be made by Eumitcom. It is supposedly also useable with the ATMEL
> software.

Then , where can I find the atmel soft?

Marc

On 23 Jul 2004 08:51:08 -0700, mcv@wanadoo.be (Marc) wrote:

>> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:13:38 +0200, Marc <markovREMOVETHIS@tiscali.be>
>> wrote:
>>
>> I understand from reading seattlewireless.net the Linksys WAP11 may
>> also be made by Eumitcom. It is supposedly also useable with the ATMEL
>> software.
>
>Then , where can I find the atmel soft?

I found it in the seattlewireless.net website.
A link from andrewhakman's articles on wap11 hacking, I think.

Here it is
http://www.andrewhakman.dhs.org/wap11/files/atmel_config/
Read all the related pages on that site. Interesting. They mention
the Belkin as being compatible with some others.

marc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <ojf2g0hm0ksivg2a3dgmhplq9kok32988c@4ax.com>,
"Steevo@my-deja.com" <steevo@my-deja.com> wrote:

> On 23 Jul 2004 08:51:08 -0700, mcv@wanadoo.be (Marc) wrote:
>
> >> On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 22:13:38 +0200, Marc <markovREMOVETHIS@tiscali.be>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> I understand from reading seattlewireless.net the Linksys WAP11 may
> >> also be made by Eumitcom. It is supposedly also useable with the ATMEL
> >> software.
> >
> >Then , where can I find the atmel soft?
>
> I found it in the seattlewireless.net website.
> A link from andrewhakman's articles on wap11 hacking, I think.
>
> Here it is
> http://www.andrewhakman.dhs.org/wap11/files/atmel_config/
> Read all the related pages on that site. Interesting. They mention
> the Belkin as being compatible with some others.

Yes, I can talk to the belkin with the soft...

Marc

On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:25:35 +0200, Marc <markovREMOVETHIS@tiscali.be>
wrote:

>> Here it is
>> http://www.andrewhakman.dhs.org/wap11/files/atmel_config/
>> Read all the related pages on that site. Interesting. They mention
>> the Belkin as being compatible with some others.
>
>Yes, I can talk to the belkin with the soft...
Yea, it does talk to it.

But the question is whether it actually does client and bridge mode,
and how well it works if at all in that usage. It is possible the
modes may be available in the software but it might not work. Or not
work well. Or not work with a dissimilar access point.

I would like to find the answer to that. I have not investigated this
yet. Have you?

marc

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

In article <thhag09023dv05dt8acue4l6ie13ae21kh@4ax.com>,
"Steevo@my-deja.com" <steevo@my-deja.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Jul 2004 21:25:35 +0200, Marc <markovREMOVETHIS@tiscali.be>
> wrote:
>
> >> Here it is
> >> http://www.andrewhakman.dhs.org/wap11/files/atmel_config/
> >> Read all the related pages on that site. Interesting. They mention
> >> the Belkin as being compatible with some others.
> >
> >Yes, I can talk to the belkin with the soft...
> Yea, it does talk to it.
>
> But the question is whether it actually does client and bridge mode,
> and how well it works if at all in that usage. It is possible the
> modes may be available in the software but it might not work. Or not
> work well. Or not work with a dissimilar access point.
>
> I would like to find the answer to that. I have not investigated this
> yet. Have you?

I'm trying, but no success...