Virus and now I can't boot! Help!

prefontaine

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Hi everyone,

If this is in the wrong section, I apologize.

I've posted this over at the Windows boards but I thought maybe I could get some better help here...

I got some awful virus just now and attempted to remove it. I then restarted my computer and it wont even start! It powers up and then gets stuck before I can even attempt to start in safe mode or get into BIOS. Here's what I see:

Sec Slave Disk: None

IDE Channel 0 Slave Disk HDD SMART capability...disabled
IDE Channel 2 Master Disk HDD SMART capability...disabled

PCI Devices Listing...
(all devices are listed here)

Verifying DMI Pool Data....

And then it just stops! There's literally nothing I can do after this point, except endless reboots which take me right back here. I have my windows disk and would even reformat if I have to (really don't want to), but I can't even boot from the disk.

Any ideas? Thanks!

prefontaine

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
That seems like it'd be the way to go but I still can't get past that first screen I posted. I'm not even able to get into BIOS because I'm never prompted to "press F2 (or whatever key it is) to enter BIOS etc. All that comes up is the very first screen of text and it doesn't move on from there. If I could get past this, I could probably use that boot CD you linked me to.

Is there anything I have to do besides burn the ISO to a disk by the way? Dumb question I know....

And someone else suggested I try changing the motherboard battery. Could this be it?

And...would it help if I posted a picture of the screen I'm getting? Thanks!

prefontaine

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
Well I finally got into BIOS and can now boot both Hirens and my windows disk, but the computer then wont take any keyboard commands. Weird.

If I unplug the master HD (IDE...so it's old) and leave just my newer drive in (SATA), I can boot that and I can install Windows on that. I'd really like to get into my old HD though to potentially save my data and not have to reinstall.

Do you think that old HD is just kaput?

number13

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
, In the old days you could lose the us of KB after you flashed the BIOS and after reboot go back into BIOS and did not select fail safe setup, changing the MB battery, maybe, have you tried a USB KB?, if worse comes to worse, get a external enclosure for the HDD so you can copy data