limit kid's access hours

As the admin to my kids' computer, I want the ability to
diasable the computer during the week. I want to do more
than place a password on his account. Is there a way to
not allow him to power on at certain times?

TIA

"homefry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As the admin to my kids' computer, I want the ability to
> diasable the computer during the week. I want to do more
> than place a password on his account. Is there a way to
> not allow him to power on at certain times?
>
> TIA

Remove the power cord and lock it away.
Just curious though, since computers are a great source of information for
educational purposes why would you want to simply take the computer away
during the week as opposed to allowing it for homework etc ?

"homefry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message news:7a5d01c4312b$ad18e0a0$a301280a@phx.gbl...
> As the admin to my kids' computer, I want the ability to
> diasable the computer during the week. I want to do more
> than place a password on his account. Is there a way to
> not allow him to power on at certain times?
>
> TIA

I'm not aware of any such program to accomplish that, and
don't think there is a way to do it. Apparently they've
become adept at breaking passwords or getting around them?

One way I can think of is to turn off the ability to boot
from any drives and then password protect access to the CMOS
System RAM with a password they won't be able to crack. You
can always get to the CMOS RAM, which is executed before
anything is loaded, so if you had the password, you could
then enable the system for booting by going into the CMOS
settings and turning on a boot drive/s.
Kinda clunky, but that's the surest thing I can think of
other than putting a key-lock on the plug going into the
wall, which is also a possibility but I've no idea where
you'd get such a thing. Have n't seen one since I worked on
some protected bldg sites.

Personally, I still have to wonder why passwords wouldn't
work. Each account can have its own password, and the
access times of the passwords can be set, in XP Pro at
least. N ot sure about XP Home edition.

Pop

Greetings --

You may find it easier to invest in a 3rd-party solution, such as
NetNanny or CyberPatrol.

You need to be aware, however, that *NO* technical or software
solution is fool-proof, and _none_ can ever adequately take the place
of live parental supervision.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. -- RAH

"homefry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As the admin to my kids' computer, I want the ability to
> diasable the computer during the week. I want to do more
> than place a password on his account. Is there a way to
> not allow him to power on at certain times?
>
> TIA

Billh

"homefry" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> As the admin to my kids' computer, I want the ability to
> diasable the computer during the week. I want to do more
> than place a password on his account. Is there a way to
> not allow him to power on at certain times?
>
> TIA

Don't know just how well this would work but if you're just interested in
stopping internet access, Sygate personal firewall will allow you to
schedule a rule which you could set to block all network access between
certain times. May be available in other firewalls too; I don't know.

Billh

Yes. But you need to connect your computer to a domain as it's not available in crippled mode.

And the band played ....
http://www.livejournal.com/users/aldon/74121.html