Mail folder problem

I use OE 6 & IE6. The newsgroup at Outlook Express said this was a MS buy
and so I am wondering if anyone here can help me.

In one of my mail folders there are no items, yet in parenthesis next to the
folder name the is a (1), indicating there is one unread message. Also, it
shows "1 message(s), 1 unread" at the very bottom far right under my
Contacts. This happens even after I delete the folder and re-add it.

Is there a fix for this?
Thanks in advance,
Fran
3 answers Last reply
More about mail folder problem

    Fran wrote:
    > I use OE 6 & IE6. The newsgroup at Outlook Express said this was a
    > MS buy and so I am wondering if anyone here can help me.
    >
    > In one of my mail folders there are no items, yet in parenthesis next
    > to the folder name the is a (1), indicating there is one unread
    > message. Also, it shows "1 message(s), 1 unread" at the very bottom
    > far right under my Contacts. This happens even after I delete the
    > folder and re-add it.
    >
    > Is there a fix for this?
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Fran

    Courtesy of Alex Nichol MVP :-

    Use TweakUI - one of the XP Powertoys from (if you have installed XP
    SP1)

    If you have not installed SP1, the earlier version can be found at
    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

    Once installed you will find it in Start - All Programs - Powertoys for
    Windows XP

    Its Logon - Unread mail page has a box to enable/disable the facility.
    And its Repair - Repair unread mail count allows you to reset it

    --
    Kath Adams
    MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    Kath, I followed your instructions using Tweak UI and clicked on Repair
    Now...but unfortunately, nothing happened and I still have the same prob.
    Fran

    "Kath Adams" <KathAdams@mvps(nospam).org> wrote in message
    > Fran wrote:
    > > I use OE 6 & IE6. The newsgroup at Outlook Express said this was a
    > > MS buy and so I am wondering if anyone here can help me.
    > >
    > > In one of my mail folders there are no items, yet in parenthesis next
    > > to the folder name the is a (1), indicating there is one unread
    > > message. Also, it shows "1 message(s), 1 unread" at the very bottom
    > > far right under my Contacts. This happens even after I delete the
    > > folder and re-add it.
    > >
    > > Is there a fix for this?
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Fran
    >
    > Courtesy of Alex Nichol MVP :-
    >
    > Use TweakUI - one of the XP Powertoys from (if you have installed XP
    > SP1)
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    >
    > If you have not installed SP1, the earlier version can be found at

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

    > Once installed you will find it in Start - All Programs - Powertoys for
    > Windows XP
    >
    > Its Logon - Unread mail page has a box to enable/disable the facility.
    > And its Repair - Repair unread mail count allows you to reset it
    >
    > --
    > Kath Adams
    > MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)

    Copied from OE6 Newsgroup where you posed the same question and Frank
    Saunders MVP replied :-
    <quote>This is a common bug lately. If you close OE and delete that
    folder the ghost unread message will usually disappear for a while, but
    mine eventually come back. For a long time I only got this on one POP3
    server and was convinced it was a server bug, but now it's there on 3 of
    my servers. I think it's a bug in a recent security patch.</quote>

    Kath

    Fran wrote:
    > Kath, I followed your instructions using Tweak UI and clicked on
    > Repair Now...but unfortunately, nothing happened and I still have the
    > same prob. Fran
    >
    > "Kath Adams" <KathAdams@mvps(nospam).org> wrote in message
    >> Fran wrote:
    >>> I use OE 6 & IE6. The newsgroup at Outlook Express said this was a
    >>> MS buy and so I am wondering if anyone here can help me.
    >>>
    >>> In one of my mail folders there are no items, yet in parenthesis
    >>> next to the folder name the is a (1), indicating there is one unread
    >>> message. Also, it shows "1 message(s), 1 unread" at the very
    >>> bottom far right under my Contacts. This happens even after I
    >>> delete the folder and re-add it.
    >>>
    >>> Is there a fix for this?
    >>> Thanks in advance,
    >>> Fran
    >>
    >> Courtesy of Alex Nichol MVP :-
    >>
    >> Use TweakUI - one of the XP Powertoys from (if you have installed XP
    >> SP1)
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    >>
    >> If you have not installed SP1, the earlier version can be found at

    http://download.microsoft.com/download/whistler/Install/2/WXP/EN-US/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe

    >> Once installed you will find it in Start - All Programs - Powertoys
    >> for Windows XP
    >>
    >> Its Logon - Unread mail page has a box to enable/disable the
    >> facility. And its Repair - Repair unread mail count allows you to
    >> reset it
    >>
    >> --
    >> Kath Adams
    >> MS MVP - Windows (IE/OE)